How can I enable look-up-word-under-the-mouse in GoldenDict-1.5.0-RC2-372-gc3ff15f_(QT_5123)(64bit)?
Thread poster: Danesh
Danesh
Danesh
Local time: 10:00
English to Persian (Farsi)
Jun 10, 2019

How can I enable look-up-word-under-the-mouse in GoldenDict-1.5.0-RC2-372-gc3ff15f_(QT_5123)(64bit)?
Thank you very much in advance for your step-by-step instructions in simple language.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Danesh Jun 10, 2019

Danesh wrote:

What gave you the idea that such a thing was possible in GoldenDict (e.g., did you read it on some web site, or did you see some option in GoldenDict itself, or is this a feature that you know of from another glossary program that you have used before)?

Which operating system are you using?

Danesh
Danesh
TOPIC STARTER
From WordWeb 8.2 Jun 10, 2019

Dear Samouel,

WordWeb 8.2 has such an option. You can use it to look up words in most Windows programs. There, you can hold down the Ctrl key, right click with the mouse on the word you want to look up. WordWeb will automatically look at the word you clicked on and look up the word in the database.
This may not be entirely reliable in some non-native Windows programs such as Java applications.

I'm on Windows 7 x64 SP1.

Danesh
Danesh
TOPIC STARTER
GoldenDict > Edit > Preferences > Scan Popup Jun 11, 2019

Dear Samuel,

I found out that the feature Scan Popup (GoldenDict > Edit > Preferences > Scan Popup has something to do with the question I posed earlier. But there are some points here: 1) sometimes, it works and sometimes not; 2) some of the combinations of keys under “Only show popup when all selected keys are kept pressed” option, work and some of the combinations don’t; 3) the Scan Popup doesn’t work on .pdf/.docs so far I’ve tried; 4) it doesn't work with the mouse.... See more
Dear Samuel,

I found out that the feature Scan Popup (GoldenDict > Edit > Preferences > Scan Popup has something to do with the question I posed earlier. But there are some points here: 1) sometimes, it works and sometimes not; 2) some of the combinations of keys under “Only show popup when all selected keys are kept pressed” option, work and some of the combinations don’t; 3) the Scan Popup doesn’t work on .pdf/.docs so far I’ve tried; 4) it doesn't work with the mouse.

Could you please have a look at the issue and see what is what? Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Danesh Jun 15, 2019

Danesh wrote:
WordWeb 8.2 has such an option. ... There, you can hold down the Ctrl key, right click with the mouse on the word you want to look up.

Ah, okay. From your earlier description I thought that you were referring to a feature that does not require any clicking. I can't help with that. The WordWeb feature doesn't work for me (the tick boxes don't "remember" their settings, and there is no menu in my installation to change the hotkey, even though it would appear to have that feature, somehow).

GoldenDict does allow you to look up any selected text, if you select the text and then press Ctrl+C+C (i.e. press Ctrl and hold it in, then press "C" twice without letting go of Ctrl).

Danesh wrote:
I found out that the feature Scan Popup...

I don't know how that feature works, and I could not figure it out.

[Edited at 2019-06-15 09:17 GMT]

Danesh

Danesh
Danesh
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you dear Samuel Jun 15, 2019

Thank you dear Samuel for your explanation.

Actually, with WordWeb there is need to right click. It works here perfectly. But, I failed to find such functionality in GoldenDict. As you said, the feature doesn't work for me too _the tick boxes don't "remember" their settings, and there is no menu in my installation to change the hotkey, even though it would appear to have that feature, somehow.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »