Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What's "the best" word count software to use?
Thread poster: Katja Vuorisalo
Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 15:20
English to German
JPEG? Be sceptical. Sep 5, 2013

Well Translated wrote:

it doesn't work with JPEGs

The default setting with JP(E)G is "lossy compression". That hinders any word count software – generally.

Ask your customer(s) for lossless compressed files or better suited formats. JPEG is for photographs or web pages, not for work.

Alexey Sokolov
Alexey Sokolov
Local time: 16:20
I would like to explain the situation Oct 21, 2013

Well Translated wrote:

If you need mostly PDFs and some Adobe formats into Word, AnyCount would work well. However, I just purchased the Enterprise version of AnyCount 8 and found out it doesn't work with JPEGs, which I receive frequently. Their product description is deceiving.
Furthermore, both Translation 3000 and AIT staff have TERRIBLE customer service. Not sure how they are still in business other than serious lack of competition.

Omar

Dear Omar,

My name is Alexey Sokolov and I represent Technical Support Department of Advanced International Translations.

Please let me clarify the situation with your support request in August. We received all your emails. Artem Karganov investigated the files you sent us and replied on all your letters on time. However, we noticed that most of our letters were lost (apparently trapped by your Junk Box). We tried to duplicate our answers from Gmail account as well. Most likely, you received some of our answers, but not all of them.

I would like to use the opportunity to explain how to avoid all common problems while using AnyCount with JPG files.
The first possible issue is an incorrect language selected for "Character Recognition" function of AnyCount. To change a language, please perform the following steps:
1. Run AnyCount and add your image file.
2. Click on the Settings button.
3. Switch to ".BMP, .JPG, .PNG, .GIF" tab.
4. Select the required language by clicking on the appropriate radio button.

Also, below you can find several suggestions which can help you to obtain fully correct wordcount results for image files:

1. Avoid all signatures and pictures which do not contain text and stamps. Erase all such objects in your image files to get absolutely right results.
2. If you have image files which contain rotated text, please rotate these images to establish normal view of the text. Files with rotated text will be counted incorrectly.
3. Resolution and quality of image files much influence on quality of these files’ counting. Thus make sure that you have a high resolution and quality of your image files.

I would like to mention that AnyCount installation package includes example files for all supported file formats. Thus, you can make sure that AnyCount works perfectly with image files if you follow the steps above.

Please let us know if you have any questions or require any additional assistance.

Best regards,
Alexey.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's "the best" word count software to use?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »