Acquiring Dragon for multiple languages
Thread poster: Schlagenhaft
Schlagenhaft
Schlagenhaft  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:27
German to English
+ ...
Nov 13, 2015

Can anyone guide me on the purchase of the correct version of Dragon that will allow me to dictate in several languages (not in the same document simultaneously, obviously) and how it can be set up to include those languages.
Thanks in advance,
Fred

[Edited at 2015-11-14 06:53 GMT]

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Have you tried asking Dragon? Nov 13, 2015

I find they are generally pretty helpful.

I have the German version which includes English. But before I upgraded to V13 I bought first the English version then, later, the German. Having one already installed, the second language seemed to slot in without any problems and I could switch between the two easily. But I don't know how many languages you can have in total - maybe it is a matter of just having enough space on the computer.

Schlagenhaft
Schlagenhaft  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 14, 2015

Thanks, Sarah, for this helpful information.

Whitney Maslak
Whitney Maslak
United States
Local time: 06:27
German to English
I've been wondering the same thing. Nov 14, 2015

I translate from German into English, but I am wondering if I would be able to use Dragon to look up German words in online dictionaries as I translate. Does anyone know how easy it is to switch between tabs when using it? It would be handy to dictate in English, but I think it would be annoying to have to switch to typing if I needed to look something up.

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
I don't think switching between languages is possible Nov 15, 2015

When you start up Dragon you have to specify which language you want to dictate in and it works in that language only. If I am dictating a translation from German to English and there is a German word which is not to be translated then Dragon won't recognise it. Having said that, I haven't used it to look up words in dictionaries. I do type them.

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:27
German to English
+ ...
You don't need a different language version Nov 15, 2015

Whitney Maslak wrote:

I translate from German into English, but I am wondering if I would be able to use Dragon to look up German words in online dictionaries as I translate. Does anyone know how easy it is to switch between tabs when using it? It would be handy to dictate in English, but I think it would be annoying to have to switch to typing if I needed to look something up.

For what you want to do, you do not need a second language version. You need the professional version (in any language), which would allow you to make custom commands. After creating the command, you select a word, say your command (mine is "Google that" or "LEO that" or "Dict CC that" or "Duden that" depending on what I want to do), and the program will copy the selected text, switch to your internet browser, navigate to the correct online dictionary website (or whatever), paste the selected text and press enter for you. No typing necessary. It sounds like a lot, but in practice Dragon does all this for me in about 2 seconds. The timing would depend greatly on your internet connection speed (mine is pretty fast).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Acquiring Dragon for multiple languages

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »