Is there any point upgrading from DNS 13 to 14?
Thread poster: Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:20
Chinese to English
Nov 30, 2015

Hello,

I've seen a few users mention that they use DNS14. Is it worth upgrading from 13 to 14? What are the benefits that 14 offers?

Thanks,

Mark

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
No idea Nov 30, 2015

I only bought Dragon 13 last week and haven't explored its full potential, but so far it seems to be pretty well-rounded. I can't think of anything else I'd want it to do...
My theory is that, as occurs with many techie things, a lot of people may suffer from "early adopter" syndrome, where they rush out and get whatever the latest "upgrade" or improved version is without really needing it, or knowing why.

[Edited at 2015-11-30 08:13 GMT]

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
No big changes from 13 Nov 30, 2015

Here's a good rundown in the KnowBrainer forum:
http://bit.ly/1Xr5tAc

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I am one of those people that upgraded from 13 to 14. Nov 30, 2015

Mark Sanderson wrote:

Hello,

I've seen a few users mention that they use DNS14. Is it worth upgrading from 13 to 14? What are the benefits that 14 offers?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

To be honest, I can't rightly remember exactly what they changed, which I like about the new version. I remember that there were a few things. Oh yeah, it is now much easier to quickly switch between different microphones (for example, when I unhook my work laptop from my office desk in order to use it in the living room, I can easily switch to the built-in laptop microphone). There were a few other small things, nothing groundbreaking though. I'm working at the moment, and so don't have time to look into this, but if and when I do, and I remember what I like about the new version, I will report back here!

Michael

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:20
Russian to English
+ ...
Upgraded from DNS Premium 13 Dec 1, 2015

I upgraded to Dragon Professional Individual from Premium 13 a couple of months ago. Since then, whenever I have free time I have been busy writing macros to speed up my workflow . For example, if I want to research a topic in Google—say, hidradenitis supperativa—all I have to do is say "Google hidradenitis supperativa." The focus then automatically shifts to Google Chrome, which I already have open, move to the third tab (which I always have open to the Google search page), deletes whatever... See more
I upgraded to Dragon Professional Individual from Premium 13 a couple of months ago. Since then, whenever I have free time I have been busy writing macros to speed up my workflow . For example, if I want to research a topic in Google—say, hidradenitis supperativa—all I have to do is say "Google hidradenitis supperativa." The focus then automatically shifts to Google Chrome, which I already have open, move to the third tab (which I always have open to the Google search page), deletes whatever text is left in the search box from a previous search, inserts "hidradenitis supperativa," and performs the search. I've also created macros to search my favorite online dictionaries and perform a number of other functions that I do repeatedly.

The ability to automate much of your workflow is the main advantage of DPI. If you have Dragon Professional 13, however, there is probably no point in upgrading.
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 02:20
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Puzzled Dec 1, 2015

James McVay wrote:
...if I want to research a topic in Google—say, hidradenitis supperativa—all I have to do is say "Google hidradenitis supperativa."

I still don't use dictation - although I tried in 2003 when it was already pretty good - mainly because there are many things I don't know how to do. For example, in this case.

Your "dictation language" is your target language, methinks. Not much choice. But if you want to do a search, you most likely want to perform the search in the source language. So I think you'll have to tell your command to switch the dictation language to SL, and switch it back after executing the command. That sounds pretty difficult to me. Not so much to "write" the command, but to have it executed. It'll also take time, I suppose.

Imagine you want to look up Dutch "Scheveningen" when your dictation language is English...

An alternative would be to select the text in the SL pane, and create a command like "Look up in Bing". But that's not very efficient: You'll need a command to go to the SL pane, a command to select the term, the actual search command "Look up in Bing", and a command to go back to the TL pane. If those are the only commands needed...

Am I making things unnecessarily difficult? James? Michael?

Cheers,

Hans

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
IWS Dec 1, 2015

James McVay wrote:

For example, if I want to research a topic in Google—say, hidradenitis supperativa—all I have to do is say "Google hidradenitis supperativa." The focus then automatically shifts to Google Chrome, which I already have open, move to the third tab (which I always have open to the Google search page), deletes whatever text is left in the search box from a previous search, inserts "hidradenitis supperativa," and performs the search. I've also created macros to search my favorite online dictionaries and perform a number of other functions that I do repeatedly.

The ability to automate much of your workflow is the main advantage of DPI. If you have Dragon Professional 13, however, there is probably no point in upgrading.

I don't use DNS (although I have version 11 but just never adopted it!), but your post has me wondering if IntelliWebSearch works with DNS? I can't see why it wouldn't. IWS is a great tool for launching searches as you describe, it can search the web (you can define the sites you want it to search) as well as local dictionaries. It's really useful, give it a try!

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
:>} Dec 2, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

James McVay wrote:
...if I want to research a topic in Google—say, hidradenitis supperativa—all I have to do is say "Google hidradenitis supperativa."

I still don't use dictation - although I tried in 2003 when it was already pretty good - mainly because there are many things I don't know how to do. For example, in this case.

Your "dictation language" is your target language, methinks. Not much choice. But if you want to do a search, you most likely want to perform the search in the source language. So I think you'll have to tell your command to switch the dictation language to SL, and switch it back after executing the command. That sounds pretty difficult to me. Not so much to "write" the command, but to have it executed. It'll also take time, I suppose.

Imagine you want to look up Dutch "Scheveningen" when your dictation language is English...

An alternative would be to select the text in the SL pane, and create a command like "Look up in Bing". But that's not very efficient: You'll need a command to go to the SL pane, a command to select the term, the actual search command "Look up in Bing", and a command to go back to the TL pane. If those are the only commands needed...

Am I making things unnecessarily difficult? James? Michael?

Cheers,

Hans

This is how I do it: I select a term somewhere, and say "Google search". This opens up a search in my browser for the selected term. When I'm finished I can say "back to ×", to take me back to where I started.

Also, taking your example, if I wanted to look up the Dutch word "Scheveningen" when my dictation language was English, I could just say "add new word", type/insert "Scheveningen", then click "Train", to train Dragon to recognise this word.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yup! Dec 2, 2015

Lori Cirefice wrote:

James McVay wrote:

For example, if I want to research a topic in Google—say, hidradenitis supperativa—all I have to do is say "Google hidradenitis supperativa." The focus then automatically shifts to Google Chrome, which I already have open, move to the third tab (which I always have open to the Google search page), deletes whatever text is left in the search box from a previous search, inserts "hidradenitis supperativa," and performs the search. I've also created macros to search my favorite online dictionaries and perform a number of other functions that I do repeatedly.

I don't use DNS (although I have version 11 but just never adopted it!), but your post has me wondering if IntelliWebSearch works with DNS? I can't see why it wouldn't. IWS is a great tool for launching searches as you describe, it can search the web (you can define the sites you want it to search) as well as local dictionaries. It's really useful, give it a try!

Sure, anything that IWS can do can be triggered by voice!

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 02:20
English to Indonesian
+ ...
While you're at it... Dec 2, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
I could just say "add new word", type/insert "Scheveningen", then click "Train", to train Dragon to recognise this word.

Thanks! Another problem: Ever since I started using a computer with a GUI (1987), I've been using English for both the OS and all apps. I'm not sure - it's a long time ago - but I suppose the main reason for this is simply that there were no other languages available. I now actively use three languages on a daily basis: Dutch, English, and Bahasa Indonesia, not necessarily in that order of frequency. I know the commands in English, I can guess most of the regular commands in Dutch, but Bahasa Indonesia?

Actually, my daughter - a native speaker of BI - also doesn't know them.

Apart from learning them by heart or re-naming them, what can I do? Ideally, I would like to be able to use English commands all the time, also because there's still a lot of applications that haven't been localised in Dutch and Indonesian. But it looks like my dictation app won't allow me to do that. Dictate in Dutch, command in Dutch.

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any point upgrading from DNS 13 to 14?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »