DPI 15 and MemoQ 2015
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:35
Dutch to English
Feb 15, 2017

I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on how they experience DPI 15 in combination with MemoQ 2015. I am finding that one of the two crashes after an hour or two of work or less, but before I investigate it more thoroughly myself or ask the respective helpdesks, I was wondering whether anyone could suggest settings to change in either program or, for example, whether it could be due to my document (at 14500 words quite large), or anything else. My system is an i7 laptop with Win 10, 1... See more
I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on how they experience DPI 15 in combination with MemoQ 2015. I am finding that one of the two crashes after an hour or two of work or less, but before I investigate it more thoroughly myself or ask the respective helpdesks, I was wondering whether anyone could suggest settings to change in either program or, for example, whether it could be due to my document (at 14500 words quite large), or anything else. My system is an i7 laptop with Win 10, 16mb of RAM and an SSD harddrive.

Thanks,

Olly
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:35
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ha ha Feb 15, 2017

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on how they experience DPI 15 in combination with MemoQ 2015. I am finding that one of the two crashes after an hour or two of work or less, but before I investigate it more thoroughly myself or ask the respective helpdesks, I was wondering whether anyone could suggest settings to change in either program or, for example, whether it could be due to my document (at 14500 words quite large), or anything else. My system is an i7 laptop with Win 10, 16mb of RAM and an SSD harddrive.

Thanks,

Olly

It's entirely normal for Dragon to crash quite often, no matter what version of it you have or what's running at the same time.

However, I've never had memoQ crash on me when using it. Not that I have much experience, as I am currently (happily) using Déjà Vu X3 + DPI 15 (which is about as good a combo as you will find at the moment, iyam).

I can never get memoQ to work properly when Dragon is in listening mode. Specifically: memoQ's auto-complete system keeps getting jammed, and freezing memoQ when Dragon is in listening mode. I don't have this problem with DVX, which works flawlessly.

However, as I mentioned: Dragon "loses the connection" every hour or so (sometimes only every 2-3 hours if I'm lucky), and needs to be quickly restarted (which I do by voice, using SpeechStart+ @ http://www.pcbyvoice.com/shop/pcbyvoice-speechstart-plus/ ).

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Interesting Feb 15, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:
(which I do by voice, using SpeechStart+ @ http://www.pcbyvoice.com/shop/pcbyvoice-speechstart-plus/ ).

Michael, does this do the same sort of thing as Knowbrainer and Vocola?

Dan

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
it's much more limited Feb 15, 2017

Dan Lucas wrote:

(which I do by voice, using SpeechStart+ @ http://www.pcbyvoice.com/shop/pcbyvoice-speechstart-plus/ ).

Michael, does this do the same sort of thing as Knowbrainer and Vocola?

Dan

No, SpeechStart+ is basically little more than a way to restart a hung Dragon, but by voice, as it has its own little speech recognition engine. It also has a feature that overlays the screen with numbers (or little flags), but KnowBrainer has this too. I also never use this feature. There are rumours of a new version though, so they may add some stuff in the near future.

PS: Vocola seems to be broken with the latest versions of Dragon. Can't remember the details. So if deciding on one now, I'd recommend KnowBrainer.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I have an older version Feb 15, 2017

and I don't use it with MemoQ, but like Michael says, it crashes anyway, way too often.

What a pity, it could be such a useful and helpful programme!

I am thinking, for other reasons, to switch to Mac OS which I read comes with a good speech recognition tool. I can't imagine it would crash as often as Dragon does!

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
no perfect solution Feb 15, 2017

Olly Pekelharing wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on how they experience DPI 15 in combination with MemoQ 2015.

Christel Zipfel wrote:
I am thinking, for other reasons, to switch to Mac OS which I read comes with a good speech recognition tool. I can't imagine it would crash as often as Dragon does!

I have been using DPI 15 with memoQ 2015.
It doesn't crash, but it takes waaaaaaayyyyy too long until it starts writing. I often have small segments and I want the text to appear pretty much right away -- time is money for me.

For this reason, I currently prefer using my iMacs Enhanced Dictation with memoQ (via Parallels).
It is much faster than Dragon, but it's not quite as accurate -- and it can't be taught, which is a huge drawback.

So I have not yet found a perfect solution.
To clarify, I am using these progams in German.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:35
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are crashes a DPI15 issue? Feb 15, 2017

I'm still on DPI14 and it doesn't crash. In fact, I leave it running for days on end and even put my computer to sleep or hibernate and it sill works without a hitch when I need it. Is DPI15 more prone to crashing?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hmm Feb 15, 2017

Nora Diaz wrote:

I'm still on DPI14 and it doesn't crash. In fact, I leave it running for days on end and even put my computer to sleep or hibernate and it sill works without a hitch when I need it. Is DPI15 more prone to crashing?

Dragon doesn't actually crash as often as it just loses the connection to whatever app I'm in at the time. However, this might also be due to the combination of Dragon with Windows. What OS are you on? I'm on win10 64-bit here, with all the latest updates. I actually can't remember if the losing connection problem happens more or less now than it used to when I was still on DPI 14, and older versions, and/or in combination with Win7.

It also seems to happen less if I temporarily switch off Malwarebytes and Avira, and fall back on Windows defender.

I should note though that restarting Dragon by saying "Restart Dragon" (with SpeechStart+) and waiting less than a minute really isn't such a big deal. It's up and running again in no time.

Plus, I should also mention that Dragon is never slow for me, neither in memoQ, nor in Déjà Vu X3. It is always nearly instantaneous, and offers near perfect results, consistently. Haven't been able to test OSX’s "Dictation" app yet, but it is much better than Google Dictation/Android, etc.

I do have a i7, 32GB RAM, and 3 SSDs in a business-grade ("workstation") laptop, which might also explain why it's never slow.

[Edited at 2017-02-15 22:35 GMT]

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:35
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
OS Feb 15, 2017

What OS are you on?

Plus, I should also mention that Dragon is never slow for me, neither in memoQ, nor in Déjà Vu X3. It is always nearly instantaneous, and offers near perfect results, consistently. Haven't been able to test OSX’s "Dictation" app yet, but it is much better than Google Dictation/Android, etc.

I do have a i7, 32GB RAM, and 3 SSDs in a business-grade ("workstation") laptop, which might also explain why it's never slow.

[Edited at 2017-02-15 22:35 GMT]

Hi Michael,

I'm also on Windows 10, 64 bit with all the latest updates.

And I'm with you on the speed situation: Dragon is never slow for me either. Maybe it's the SSD that makes the difference, although I only have one, not three! Now I'm going to be thinking of getting extra SSDs. : )

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
More interesting Feb 16, 2017

Michael, do you only use speechstart for the convenience of restarting by voice, or does it have other advantages above the features listed on the website (which don't really excite me). Interesting too, how the experiences with speed differ. Your 32 mb is surely overkill for dragon? I never ever seem to use more than about 50% of ram resources (with everything running) with my 16 mb. Or is it not as simple as that? Or maybe its my bluetooth microphone that is causing interference or something. ... See more
Michael, do you only use speechstart for the convenience of restarting by voice, or does it have other advantages above the features listed on the website (which don't really excite me). Interesting too, how the experiences with speed differ. Your 32 mb is surely overkill for dragon? I never ever seem to use more than about 50% of ram resources (with everything running) with my 16 mb. Or is it not as simple as that? Or maybe its my bluetooth microphone that is causing interference or something. Bottom line for me is that DPI 15 is amazingly accurate but a tad too slow and needs to be kick started occasionally. I'm still not sold but I'll have to decide soon before my trial runs out...

[Edited at 2017-02-16 07:44 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I only use it for the convenience of restarting Dragon by voice. Feb 16, 2017

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Michael, do you only use speechstart for the convenience of restarting by voice, or does it have other advantages above the features listed on the website (which don't really excite me). Interesting too, how the experiences with speed differ. Your 32 mb is surely overkill for dragon? I never ever seem to use more than about 50% of ram resources (with everything running) with my 16 mb. Or is it not as simple as that? Or maybe its my bluetooth microphone that is causing interference or something. Bottom line for me is that DPI 15 is amazingly accurate but a tad too slow and needs to be kick started occasionally. I'm still not sold but I'll have to decide soon before my trial runs out...

[Edited at 2017-02-16 07:44 GMT]

As far as I'm concerned, SpeechStart+ doesn't really have any other advantages.

Yes, 32GB is definitely overkill, but RAM is cheap, and I do quite a bit of work with very large databases, text files, etc. so it sometimes comes in handy.

Apart from your 16GB RAM, what CPU do you have? And what kind of computer? Also: I would never use anything but an SSD these days, so an old-fashioned HD might be the problem.

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Microphone Feb 16, 2017

It may have been the microphone that was causing me grief. I was using a bluetooth Sennheiser recommended by KnowBrainer, but have now switched to a bluetooth Jabra pro 930 recommended by Dragon. Things are a lot faster now, recognition is even better, and no crashes so far, touch wood.

Cheers,

Olly

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DPI 15 and MemoQ 2015

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »