Thread poster: Hugo Martínez Andrade
Hugo Martínez Andrade
Hugo Martínez Andrade  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:52
French to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 4, 2013

Everything is in the topic: which do you think is the best subtitling tool (free or paying), and where do I get to learn how to use it? I know Subtitle Workshop, but it has its limits.

And what tool do you use to translate websites? (Again, free or paying and where to learn its use).

Thank you!

Trevor Landolt
Trevor Landolt  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:52
Portuguese to English
+ ...
InqScribe Jan 4, 2013

InqScribe works fine for me. And I have a few clients who ask me to use this particular tool. Very easy to use, it has some good standard shortcuts, good interface and a useful instructions manual.
you can download it here... http://www.inqscribe.com/
Hope this helps!
Best;

Hugo Martínez Andrade
Hugo Martínez Andrade  Identity Verified
France
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Best subtitling tool. Thank you! Jan 4, 2013

Thank you! I didn't know that one. I've already tried several tools but ten I have trouble burning the subtitles on the videos.

Mathilda Banfield
Mathilda Banfield  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
Subbits Jan 4, 2013

I use Subbits, which allows me to work without touching my mouse at all, it supports Chinese, if you email the creator of the software, he emails you back lightning fast to solve all your issues, so I really like it.

It's not free, I can't remember what it costs though, so it can't have been an awful lot.

I only have one problem with it: if I press backspace one time too many at the beginning of a title, I lose everything I've done since saving last. I press backspace a
... See more
I use Subbits, which allows me to work without touching my mouse at all, it supports Chinese, if you email the creator of the software, he emails you back lightning fast to solve all your issues, so I really like it.

It's not free, I can't remember what it costs though, so it can't have been an awful lot.

I only have one problem with it: if I press backspace one time too many at the beginning of a title, I lose everything I've done since saving last. I press backspace a few times too many quite a lot, so I have to remember to save the file.
I have to remember to save the file.
I have to remember to save the file.
Collapse

Dan Dascalescu
Dan Dascalescu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:52
Romanian to English
+ ...
Lots of subtitling tools May 13, 2015

AlternativeTo lists a ton of subtitling tools at http://alternativeto.net/software/aegisub/

MisterEsite
MisterEsite
Australia
English to German
+ ...
Type Studio Nov 16, 2020

A few friends and me are currently building Type Studio. Type Studio is a subtitling tool and a video editor.

Currently our focus is subtitling and we try to make it as easy as possible to create for example captions for your videos.
www.typestudio.co

What to you think? Anything you would love to see in the tool?
We have a free plan...
See more
A few friends and me are currently building Type Studio. Type Studio is a subtitling tool and a video editor.

Currently our focus is subtitling and we try to make it as easy as possible to create for example captions for your videos.
www.typestudio.co

We have a free plan
Collapse

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:52
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Sounds like an interesting product Mar 8, 2021

MisterEsite wrote:

www.typestudio.co

We have a free plan

I watched the introductory video you have on your website. Just a bit of constructive criticism - you might want to consider speaking a little more slowly and clearly. I had to listen to it twice to get everything, and I'm a native English speaker.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Fast, easy and.. Mar 9, 2021

That tool seems to do everything one can possibly want. I use Subtitle Edit but it does not have all the features mentioned here-captioning for instance-though it is enough for most jobs. Thanks Jeremy for reviving an old thread as I would not have got to know about this otherwise. I'll have a go at trying it out.

[Edited at 2021-03-09 07:45 GMT]

Chiyu Xie
Chiyu Xie
China
Another Option Mar 23, 2021

How about Aegisub? It is a free open-source subtitle editing platform. There are free tutorial videos on YouTube which last for about 1 hour in total.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
And the best subtitling tool is... Mar 28, 2021

...whatever the heck your client wants you to use.

EDIT
Just realized the thread is 8 years old. Darn it you guys smh.

[Edited at 2021-03-28 16:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best subtitling tool

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »