Saving an entry in SDL Trados Studio 2017
Thread poster: Alessio Coci (X)
Alessio Coci (X)
Alessio Coci (X)
Ireland
Apr 23, 2020

I have tried to add a new entry in SDL Trados Studio 2017 using the function "quick add new term". As soon as I clicked on it, I have got the following error message: At least one term must be filled in.

I understand that I might have added a term without filling in all the fields, but the core problem is that I cannot get rid of the error message and as a consequence cannot save my work. The only workaround would be to close the program ending up losing everything.

A
... See more
I have tried to add a new entry in SDL Trados Studio 2017 using the function "quick add new term". As soon as I clicked on it, I have got the following error message: At least one term must be filled in.

I understand that I might have added a term without filling in all the fields, but the core problem is that I cannot get rid of the error message and as a consequence cannot save my work. The only workaround would be to close the program ending up losing everything.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:56
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Could you please specify Apr 23, 2020

what exactly are you doing? To use this function you simply need to highlight the term in the source segment and in the target segment and THEN click "quick add new term".

Alessio Coci (X)
Alessio Coci (X)
Ireland
TOPIC STARTER
Error message Apr 23, 2020

Natalie wrote:

what exactly are you doing? To use this function you simply need to highlight the term in the source segment and in the target segment and THEN click "quick add new term".

I am traslating a document in Studio 2017. I highlighted the term in the source, but not in the target segment, and then I clicked on "quick add new term". I got an error message saying "At least one term must be filled in". I cannot close the error message and as a consequence I cannot go on with my translation. Basically, Studio got stuck.
Do you know how I could get rid of this error message and simply go on with my translation? or the only solution would be to close Studio?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
If clicking ok/cancel does not help Apr 23, 2020

maybe you should really close Studio.

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Apr 23, 2020

[Edited at 2020-04-23 21:26 GMT]

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
You must select something in the target column Apr 23, 2020

Alessio Coci wrote:
I highlighted the term in the source, but not in the target segment, and then I clicked on "quick add new term".

As Natalie indicated already, you must highlight also a word or group of words in the target column in the same segment. Studio will not save an incomplete entry in the glossary.

When Studio is very stubborn and does not close, you can switch the computer off and on again. Your Studio work results will be (or at least: should be) saved automatically - of course, excluding the failed "quick term adding" operation. Next, you need to open Studio and your project again.

HTH

Alessio Coci (X)

Alessio Coci (X)
Alessio Coci (X)
Ireland
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Apr 23, 2020

Andrzej Mierzejewski wrote:

Alessio Coci wrote:
I highlighted the term in the source, but not in the target segment, and then I clicked on "quick add new term".

As Natalie indicated already, you must highlight also a word or group of words in the target column in the same segment. Studio will not save an incomplete entry in the glossary.

When Studio is very stubborn and does not close, you can switch the computer off and on again. Your Studio work results will be (or at least: should be) saved automatically - of course, excluding the failed "quick term adding" operation. Next, you need to open Studio and your project again.

HTH

Thanks a million, Andrzej! As a matter of fact, I did what you just suggested and it worked. I was going gaga eheh

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
My pleasure Apr 24, 2020

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving an entry in SDL Trados Studio 2017

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »