Thread poster: Joanne Maddocks
Joanne Maddocks
Joanne Maddocks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 29, 2020

Does anyone know if the way freelancers invoice the EU will change under the new deal? I have been trying to find out whether we will be able to continue invoicing without paying tax in EU countries, but I can't find anything about it... The HMRC website is of little help as usual! Thanks in advance.

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Same here Dec 29, 2020

Joanne Maddocks wrote:

Does anyone know if the way freelancers invoice the EU will change under the new deal? I have been trying to find out whether we will be able to continue invoicing without paying tax in EU countries, but I can't find anything about it... The HMRC website is of little help as usual! Thanks in advance.

As usual, useless gov't exhorts us to get ready but then offers no information.

GENERAL PRINCIPLES:

If you are a registered taxpayer in the UK (only) you pay your taxes to the UK Government.
If you are ALSO a registered taxpayer in an EU country, then you are liable to also pay tax in that country.

I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION

Will I still be able to continue receiving payments from EU banks into my UK bank?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
It will be the same as for any non-EU country Dec 29, 2020

Joanne Maddocks wrote:

So, for example, no VAT (for B2B transactions at least).

And yes, Tom, of course you will still be able to receive bank payments. We have left the EU, not the planet.

Maria Pia Giuseppina Nuzzolese
Joe France
Julia Burgess
expressisverbis

Julia Burgess
Julia Burgess  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
CIOL/ITI video about post-Brexit VAT Jan 1, 2021

Stumbled across this recently & found it very informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyjf21xsUVY&list=PLm4giz0ZtTBEraqG8A042zwekD8EuZlsn&index=2&ab_channel=CIOL

expressisverbis

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks, very informative! Jan 1, 2021

Julia Burgess wrote:

Stumbled across this recently & found it very informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyjf21xsUVY&list=PLm4giz0ZtTBEraqG8A042zwekD8EuZlsn&index=2&ab_channel=CIOL

Ellh Karlaouzos- Gaston
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Payments Jan 26, 2021

Tom in London wrote:
Will I still be able to continue receiving payments from EU banks into my UK bank?

You probably already have proof of the pudding by now, Tom, but I did think of you when checking the bank account this morning and seeing that transfers from three EU/EEA countries have come in as normal this month.

Brexit is certainly causing problems in some areas, but the wheels of finance keep turning...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Invoicing EU with new Brexit deal

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »