ProZ.com on Facebook
Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:56
English to Italian
Dystopia Apr 14, 2019

I'll just say that creating a "discussion forum" on a social media (NOT geared nor aimed toward professional use) for people to "optimise their use" of another site that already does happen to have fora (and that IS supposedly geared and aimed toward professional use) seems quite a peculiar approach, without considering the fact this would also split and fragment the target audience(s) of the "parent site" (even more than it already is).

amorrisproz wrote:

"positive, troll-free zone"... "share your successes rather than complaints"... "Plus plenty of fun with puns!"

Wow, sounds... wonderful... and revealing.

Angie Garbarino
Ph_B (X)
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Jean Dimitriadis
Katalin Szilárd
Birte Mirbach
Christopher Schröder

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
That sure is some pretty Apr 14, 2019

heavy-handed community-building stuff. What one would call an in your face(book) attitude.

Revealing indeed.

Katalin Szilárd
Mirko Mainardi
Christopher Schröder
Robert Forstag
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ph_B (X)
Tom in London

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Сhief cook and bottlewasher Apr 14, 2019

I mostly work as an interpreter making useful contacts, so I can't help wondering about the practicalities of such PR...

Unlike traditional means of communication aimed at long-term contacts, how might another socializing layer (middleman) help by networking anonymous/virtual partners who mostly seek for cheap one-time stopgaps--just a temporary fix?

I checked some points, yet I still cannot see it: If a ProZ member is some #1000 in his language pair list, how could FB
... See more
I mostly work as an interpreter making useful contacts, so I can't help wondering about the practicalities of such PR...

Unlike traditional means of communication aimed at long-term contacts, how might another socializing layer (middleman) help by networking anonymous/virtual partners who mostly seek for cheap one-time stopgaps--just a temporary fix?

I checked some points, yet I still cannot see it: If a ProZ member is some #1000 in his language pair list, how could FB or any other intermediator--with one more profile--be of real use, increasing the chances? Just a dilution for lowering entry barriers, IMO.
Collapse

Nawal Kramer

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Latest answers Apr 15, 2019

What strange and suspicious visions...

Surely a company can reach out to its members via any channel available? There are now 25,000 people in the Facebook group, which suggests there IS an audience. There are no fewer than 80,000 on LinkedIn, and still others here. And some people on all three.

Not sure what the "revealing" part is. The puns are a way of introducing humour (remember "humour"?) to a group. What's more, the ability to play with language is a vital tool
... See more
What strange and suspicious visions...

Surely a company can reach out to its members via any channel available? There are now 25,000 people in the Facebook group, which suggests there IS an audience. There are no fewer than 80,000 on LinkedIn, and still others here. And some people on all three.

Not sure what the "revealing" part is. The puns are a way of introducing humour (remember "humour"?) to a group. What's more, the ability to play with language is a vital tool for any self-respecting professional.

As for whether community-building is "heavy-handed", I simply have no idea what that means. Does ProZ.com not have a right to build a community? That's one of its main purposes!

And as for whether "PR" (which seems to be used here in a negative sense, but is once again a key purpose in an organisation based on connecting people) increases the likelihood of cheap stopgaps, that seems to be an assertion based on nothing but hearsay or conjecture. In fact, the FB group has eliminated ads. It exists to allow translators to talk together and share experience.

Perhaps, before judging these things, you could check them out and then have some facts on which to base your views?

Evidence-based assertions are never a bad idea...

Look forward to welcoming you all to the group.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Stephanie Busch

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Coming over all Alanis Morrisette Apr 15, 2019

amorrisproz wrote:
Not sure what the "revealing" part is.

I imagine it has to do with ProZ trying to build a positive troll-free environment, unlike its own site.

As for whether community-building is "heavy-handed", I simply have no idea what that means.

Should I laugh or cry when ProZ’s “Head of Messaging” can’t see the irony in his deleting multiple posts on a thread about community-building?!

Especially given what’s been going on in the big thread on here right now.

Katalin Szilárd
Tom in London
neilmac
P.L.F. Persio

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Who ... is Eleanor? Apr 15, 2019

amorrisproz wrote:

Hi Eleanor, it was a stray comma. Now fixed!

Concerning the FB link: Yes, it is fixed.
Just one more question, please.
Who is Eleanor?

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Facts facts facts Apr 15, 2019

Oh dear, facts are such pesky things.

I have deleted NO posts in this thread. Anyone who is literate (surely a minimum qualification for a translator?) can see that they were deleted by Jared, for reasons he explains perfectly clearly.

Your post does you a disservice Chris.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not mine Apr 15, 2019

amorrisproz wrote:

Ok, so Facebook isn't everyone's cup of tea

I never use it, and never will. I hope I won't be missing anything important that relates to Proz.

PS The main reason why I wouldn't use Facebook is that I need to protect my data.

[Edited at 2019-04-15 07:38 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Ph_B (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not mine either Apr 15, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

amorrisproz wrote:

Ok, so Facebook isn't everyone's cup of tea

I never use it. I hope I won't be missing anything important that relates to Proz.

I don't have and don't want to have a FB profile. It's not my cup of tea.

Tom in London
Ph_B (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
More answers Apr 15, 2019

@Tom, perfectly fine. No one is being forced to join anything. We’re simply informing people of an option, which 25,000 people have chosen.

@Chris, ok as there seems to be a more gloves-off atmosphere here than in the groups I manage, let me state my incredulity that you have the gall to insinuate this site is not troll-free while twisting my own name into “Alanis Morrisette” in a way worthy of a primary school? What next, you’re going to call me “poo-pants” and pinch my
... See more
@Tom, perfectly fine. No one is being forced to join anything. We’re simply informing people of an option, which 25,000 people have chosen.

@Chris, ok as there seems to be a more gloves-off atmosphere here than in the groups I manage, let me state my incredulity that you have the gall to insinuate this site is not troll-free while twisting my own name into “Alanis Morrisette” in a way worthy of a primary school? What next, you’re going to call me “poo-pants” and pinch my arm when teacher isn’t looking? Please grow up, man, and let’s have a proper debate.

@Katalin, if the worst you’ve got to throw at me is that I got someone’s name wrong, (with apologies to Elizabeth, as I do know an Eleanor Tamblin), then I will sleep easy tonight.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
staff members represent Proz Apr 15, 2019

amorrisproz wrote:

Oh dear, facts are such pesky things.

I have deleted NO posts in this thread. Anyone who is literate (surely a minimum qualification for a translator?) can see that they were deleted by Jared, for reasons he explains perfectly clearly.

Your post does you a disservice Chris.

What I see (as a mere member not staff, but highly literate) is "This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member".
No way of telling which staff member that I can see, and I'm not going to bother to investigate as I don't particularly care which staff member did what. All staff members, posting or acting as such around here, represent Proz. Proz has set up a FB group and has deleted messages posted on this thread.

I personally won't want to join the FB group. FB is for keeping in touch with friends and finding out about local events I might like to attend. I don't really want to mix that up with work.

I hope that those of us who don't join will not be penalised in any way, not being informed of upcoming events or whatever. And could we have the puns here too? the "lighter side" is rather thin here!

Ph_B (X)
Tom in London
Katalin Szilárd
neilmac
Thomas T. Frost
Charlie Bavington
P.L.F. Persio

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Puns and more... Apr 15, 2019

In that case I say peace out. I take no pleasure in conflict or in the kind of ding-dong dialogue so many colleagues seem to thrive on.

I would merely point to the utility of fact-checking before making serious accusations. And it's not SO long a thread that facts are buried under piles of prose. "Highly literate" to me suggests the ability to conduct basic research, of the kind that is manifestly absent here.

Anyway, moving on..

No, the FB group has its
... See more
In that case I say peace out. I take no pleasure in conflict or in the kind of ding-dong dialogue so many colleagues seem to thrive on.

I would merely point to the utility of fact-checking before making serious accusations. And it's not SO long a thread that facts are buried under piles of prose. "Highly literate" to me suggests the ability to conduct basic research, of the kind that is manifestly absent here.

Anyway, moving on..

No, the FB group has its own dynamic, but most of my new posts are also cross-posted to LinkedIn. Between the two fora they potentially reach 100,000 people and that's a potential we cannot and will not ignore. That's our internal marketing decision and if we need help with that, we'll know who to come to.

Meanwhile, if any of you have SUCH a problem with social networks that, in 2019, you can't abide even checking them, then that's your perfect right, but I can't base my activities in my new role on extreme minority opinions.

Finally, as far as puns and levity are concerned, bring it on. I think that what is missing in large swathes of the translation community (especially in groups I affectionately think of as the Translation Taliban), is precisely a sense of humour and the ability not to take ourselves so seriously.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Describe Apr 15, 2019

amorrisproz wrote:

my activities in my new role

Please describe them. What is your new role? I think we ought to know. I mean, we pay you.

[Edited at 2019-04-15 10:44 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Chapeau Apr 15, 2019

amorrisproz wrote:

I think that what is missing in large swathes of the translation community (especially in groups I affectionately think of as the Translation Taliban), is precisely a sense of humour and the ability not to take ourselves so seriously.

If you're trying to build a community, I must say you're doing an awfully good job. Do carry on!!!

"The Taliban have been condemned internationally for the harsh enforcement of their interpretation of Islamic Sharia law, which has resulted in the brutal treatment of many Afghans, especially women. During their rule from 1996 to 2001, the Taliban and their allies committed massacres against Afghan civilians, denied UN food supplies to 160,000 starving civilians and conducted a policy of scorched earth, burning vast areas of fertile land and destroying tens of thousands of homes. According to the United Nations, the Taliban and their allies were responsible for 76% of Afghan civilian casualties in 2010, 80% in 2011, and 80% in 2012. Taliban has also engaged in cultural genocide, destroying numerous monuments including the famous 1500-year old Buddhas of Bamiyan."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban

As for the supposed "problem" that many translators - according to you - have with social media, various social media platforms have dynamics that many professionals understandably prefer to steer clear of, me included. Are you quite sure they are the "extreme minority opinion" you seem to think they are? The fact that LinkedIn and Facebook "potentially reach 100,000 people" says nothing about the number of people that prefer not to use such channels.

Tom in London
Ph_B (X)
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
My activities Apr 15, 2019

@Tom, are you always this blunt and hostile? Lighten up a little. I feel like you're trying to put me in the dock, and I refuse to accept that from someone I've never met.

Technically ProZ.com pays me, you pay them. I answer to them, not to you.

But I am happy to respond to your question nevertheless. My activity revolves around communicating what ProZ.com can offer to its users and members, via all the channels at our disposal, in light of the new expanded mission th
... See more
@Tom, are you always this blunt and hostile? Lighten up a little. I feel like you're trying to put me in the dock, and I refuse to accept that from someone I've never met.

Technically ProZ.com pays me, you pay them. I answer to them, not to you.

But I am happy to respond to your question nevertheless. My activity revolves around communicating what ProZ.com can offer to its users and members, via all the channels at our disposal, in light of the new expanded mission the organisation has set itself. In short, that means not only offering tools and services but encouraging freelancers to stretch themselves and fulfil their potential.

In such an initiative, to ignore Facebook would be lunacy. The kind of suggestion made by someone who doesn't get marketing.

It also involves picking up feedback from members and channeling it back.

So yes, it's about messaging, in the sense of ensuring fluid communication in two ways.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com on Facebook

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »