Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Reviews now possible for "Translation Mastermind" (a private FB group included in Plus subscription)
Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 12:39
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Haha touché May 10, 2019

It seems you want to continue our little pas de deux.

Chris S wrote:

Andrew Morris wrote:
"As for identikit, I would love to hear you say that to any of their faces. Not quivering behind a keyboard, but looking them in the eye."
I'm talking to you, not them. And it's not an insult, but logic. By stamping on dissent as you are attempting to do here

Oh really? I sure am doing a good job of that.

and in the ProZ Facebook group and did previously in the Standing Out group, you'll end up surrounded only by totally likeminded people, which rather defeats the point of having a group and also carries risks for your own personal growth.

Again, with respect, you're making assumptions about people you don't even know the names of. They are likeminded in that they believe in creating a learning community. Their views differ from mine in a thousand and one ways, but they know how to express themselves cordially.

Sorry, I understood that Translation Mastermind was an extension of the Standing Out group, which by all accounts ended rather messily.

Facts (again). TM is now a completely separate entity from SO, which ended when I decided that after 3 years of daily management, I was going to monetise the group. Many people disagreed and left, as was their right. Many stayed and paid. That's the kind of risk entrepreneurs take.

But despite the loud and vocal disapproval of the naysayers, who continue to mutter in dark corners (and quite possibly constitute some of your sources), that admittedly bold move led to a long and rewarding cooperation with ProZ.com and now to this job, which I am enjoying immensely.

I rest my case.

Andrew Morris wrote: "But thanks, as ever, for the massive (unpaid) PR support. I have the stats for website visitors in front of me and they're spiking!"
Fantastic. And I mean that sincerely. It's all very enterprising. How on Earth do you find time to do any translation?

Well let me be equally sincere in accepting the compliment. The simplest answer is that I run an agency, as you know, and am very efficient.

But I could of course ask you the same question.

The difference is, I am being paid to be here (amongst my other duties).

Elizabeth Tamblin

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
*PLOMP* May 10, 2019

Did I just hear a mic drop?

Very entertaining, very... Why don't we all get back to work?

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Haha May 10, 2019

Tanya Quintieri wrote:

Why don't we all get back to work?

Because this is my work. Thankfully, not all of it.

Elizabeth Tamblin

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
editing posts May 10, 2019

I may be mistaken, but I am under the impression that the time-stamp [Edited at] fails to appear under your modified messages, Andrew.

It certainly does not help anyone to follow the discussion if comments or cross-posts refer to something that was previously visible and no longer is )without it being flagged as such=.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

D.

Andrew Morris
Helen Shiner
Barbara Carrara

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Editor-in-chief May 10, 2019

We've had this discussion before about editing. At times in the thrill of replying to Chris S I forget to add "edited".

But all I ever do is edit minor stylistic elements, for linguistic flow, never to change the meaning or make it seem like I said something I did not say.

Whenever I add a substantial new point I do in fact add "Edited to add".

Edited to add: let's keep this in proportion. In this thread whole messages have disapp
... See more
We've had this discussion before about editing. At times in the thrill of replying to Chris S I forget to add "edited".

But all I ever do is edit minor stylistic elements, for linguistic flow, never to change the meaning or make it seem like I said something I did not say.

Edited to add: let's keep this in proportion. In this thread whole messages have disappeared or been substantially altered. The fact that a timestamp says "Edited" doesn't really tell us much.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I guess you have different settings May 10, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:

But all I ever do is edit minor stylistic elements, for linguistic flow, never to change the meaning or make ti seem like I said something I did not say.

I guess you have different settings or forum access levels as part of the site's team them.

Because the addition of the time-stamp is automatic (and I believe it should always be visible, whether for amending typo or for modifying the tone or content of one's comments, especially in the latter case).

Andrew Morris
Alison MacG

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
You're right May 10, 2019

Yes, that is why. And I've agreed with Forum members before to use the "Edited to add" bit whenever I make a significant edit, which to my mind certainly includes a change of tone, as well as content.

I don't use it for every extra preposition or substitution of one similar adjective for another, as that would make it impossible to read. And surely as language professionals we all want fluid texts....

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Facts May 10, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:

Well, at least three times it's been to insert additional insults. Not that I'm counting or anything...

But I suppose it's true that doesn't affect the meaning or tone of your posts.

Andrew Morris
Andy Watkinson
Daniela Zambrini
Grace Anderson

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:39
French to English
Editing posts May 10, 2019

Daniela Zambrini wrote:

I may be mistaken, but I am under the impression that the time-stamp [Edited at] fails to appear under your modified messages, Andrew.

It certainly does not help anyone to follow the discussion if comments or cross-posts refer to something that was previously visible and no longer is )without it being flagged as such=.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

D.

Unless you've seen a person's original post, you can never know what the person really said in that post. That goes for every post on this forum, including those in which the time-stamp [Edited At] appears.

Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Well exactly May 10, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:

The difference is, I am being paid to be here (amongst my other duties).

But for what, Andrew? Trading barbs with those who are critical of your approach - fellow translators and members of Proz.com? The purpose of your role is entirely beyond me and, quite frankly, if I was a paying member, I wouldn’t be happy that my contributions were being put to use this way.

Jennifer White
Grace Anderson
Jan Truper
Robert Forstag
Andy Watkinson
Angie Garbarino
Samuel Murray

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
. May 10, 2019

Chris S wrote:

Only this hypothetical person hasn't showed open contempt for anything and has been persistently ridiculed and insulted. I'm genuinely interested in how you chose to take the side you have.

Really?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Elizabeth May 10, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:
Really?

Yes, really. Apart from the group's staff, you do seem to be the only one.

Andy Watkinson
Katalin Horváth McClure
Grace Anderson
Rachel Fell
Pete in Finland
mughwI

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
. May 10, 2019

Chris S wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:
Really?

Oh, there are many more, believe me.

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
. May 10, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:
Really?

Oh, there are many more, believe me.

Edited to add: Andy Watkinson agrees with you that I seem to be the only one. Bless!

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
. May 10, 2019

[quote]Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

[quote]Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:
Really?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reviews now possible for "Translation Mastermind" (a private FB group included in Plus subscription)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »