Participation in 'Translation Mastermind' (Facebook group) is included in ProZ.com Plus subscription
Thread poster: Arabic & More
Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 11, 2019

I posed this question in another thread that has since been locked, but I am curious about membership in the Translation Mastermind group, which is (if I have understood correctly) a benefit granted to Proz Plus members.

The owner of that group has stated that he has the right to reject potential members from joining since it is a private group that he owns. He has also stated that certain people here at Proz are not a good fit for the group and has told them this directly, as seen
... See more
I posed this question in another thread that has since been locked, but I am curious about membership in the Translation Mastermind group, which is (if I have understood correctly) a benefit granted to Proz Plus members.

The owner of that group has stated that he has the right to reject potential members from joining since it is a private group that he owns. He has also stated that certain people here at Proz are not a good fit for the group and has told them this directly, as seen in recent forum exchanges.

I was just wondering what would happen if these people who are not "fit" for the group became Proz Plus members. Would they still be denied entry to the group?

I am genuinely curious about this point since I don't really understand how this works for paying members.

[Edited at 2019-05-11 06:01 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2019-05-13 14:36 GMT]
Collapse

Grace Anderson
Natasha Ziada (X)
Andy Watkinson

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Amel May 11, 2019

Amel Abdullah wrote:
I am curious about membership in the Translation Mastermind group, which is (if I have understood correctly) a benefit granted to Proz Plus members.

Yes, just to clarify, though (you probably know this already), the ProZ.com Plus package includes access to resources outside of ProZ.com. The fact that something is included in the ProZ.com Plus package does not mean that it is run by ProZ.com.

I was just wondering what would happen if these people who are not "fit" for the group became Proz Plus members. Would they still be denied entry to the group?

I would speculate that they would still be denied access. The ProZ.com Plus package gives you free access (i.e. you don't have to pay) to certain resources, but these resources would still have the right to deny actual access to individual people whom they consider unsuitable. It makes sense to me that if someone does something which does not contravene the ProZ.com terms and conditions but does contravene the terms of the resource (or are otherwise not a "fit" for the resource), that they would be denied access to the resource.

For example, suppose there was a special Facebook group like Mastermind specifically for legal translators, and this were to be included in the ProZ.com Plus package, then it would make sense to me that only legal translators would be allowed access to the resource even though free access is included in the ProZ.com Plus package.

Just my opinion/speculation.

[Edited at 2019-05-11 09:35 GMT]

Elizabeth Tamblin
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jo Macdonald
Andrew Morris
Tanya Quintieri

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 11, 2019

Thank you for your speculation, Samuel, but I was kind of hoping to hear the policy directly from those in charge of this issue...either Andrew (who runs the group) or Proz.com (which offers this benefit to Plus members).

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 11:02
ProZ.com team
Voice of reason May 11, 2019

As ever, Samuel, you present a calm and balanced view, with which I agree 100%.

As it is the weekend, I hope this will be my only comment in this thread, and I will use it to say the door to my group is sometimes closed but almost never locked.

I am an eternal optimist and everyone, bar none, is considered a potential group member until they clearly prove otherwise, through their words or deeds.

In the vast majority of cases, there is no gatekeeper or bounc
... See more
As ever, Samuel, you present a calm and balanced view, with which I agree 100%.

As it is the weekend, I hope this will be my only comment in this thread, and I will use it to say the door to my group is sometimes closed but almost never locked.

I am an eternal optimist and everyone, bar none, is considered a potential group member until they clearly prove otherwise, through their words or deeds.

In the vast majority of cases, there is no gatekeeper or bouncer at the door, no KGB-style investigation, and no prior screening in the "selection" process.

99.99% of the time, people who apply to join are automatically admitted without the slightest need for vetting. They tend to vet themselves by reading the website (www.translationmastermind.com) and deciding for or against membership, which they then pay for. Or they have been recommended by a colleague and are therefore predisposed to like it. Or they try it out via ProZ Plus and then either become active members, or leave/disappear from view if it’s not a good fit for them.

And indeed that proves a trouble-free process the vast majority of the time. Only once in our 2.5 year existence has someone who was already a member manifestly failed to understand the group vibe, and acted so egregiously that exclusion was the only option, Plus or no Plus.

By contrast, it is entirely possible that people who behave in a certain way in environment A act totally differently when in environment B. I have already seen that with individuals from this forum who initially seemed combative (based entirely on my subjective perception), but have become valuable group members of TM in a short space of time, making several comments and other contributions. And they have, what's more, done so in the questioning but cordial tone which the group has adopted over the years, which usually tends to rub off on people.

The recent individual case of non-admission cited here was therefore a very rare exception. But one which stands, and will continue to stand, until I am persuaded otherwise. (Edited to add: under no circumstances will I discuss this particular case further in this thread).

Hope that clarifies things, Amel.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Robert Forstag
Gina Ferlisi

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:02
SITE FOUNDER
ProZ.com pays for your membership (you still need to meet group's requirements) May 13, 2019

Hi.

Participation in Translation Mastermind is one of the benefits in the Plus "basket". As is the case with many other basket items, this one is delivered in partnership. In the case of TM, we have had a deal with Andrew where ProZ.com pays the monthly fee of Plus subscribers who are active in the group. The money is taken out of what you paid for your Plus subscription.

To participate, of course, you have to meet the requirements of the partner. I am not aware of anyo
... See more
Hi.

Participation in Translation Mastermind is one of the benefits in the Plus "basket". As is the case with many other basket items, this one is delivered in partnership. In the case of TM, we have had a deal with Andrew where ProZ.com pays the monthly fee of Plus subscribers who are active in the group. The money is taken out of what you paid for your Plus subscription.

To participate, of course, you have to meet the requirements of the partner. I am not aware of anyone having been kept out unfairly. (Or at all?)

With the question answered, I am closing the thread.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Participation in 'Translation Mastermind' (Facebook group) is included in ProZ.com Plus subscription

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »