Can anyone recommend a transcription software?
Thread poster: anna-luisa
anna-luisa
anna-luisa  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2021

Hello,

I have just accepted a job to transcribe and then translate some Spanish audio files into English. I have never done any transcription on this scale and was wondering if anyone could recommend a transcription software please? I would prefer a free version or trial version, since I am not sure I will be doing more transcription in the future yet...

Is most transcription software relatively straightforward to use/pick up for a relatively computer-literate translat
... See more
Hello,

I have just accepted a job to transcribe and then translate some Spanish audio files into English. I have never done any transcription on this scale and was wondering if anyone could recommend a transcription software please? I would prefer a free version or trial version, since I am not sure I will be doing more transcription in the future yet...

Is most transcription software relatively straightforward to use/pick up for a relatively computer-literate translator? Is it worthwhile using transcription software, i.e. does it save a significant amount of time? Does it make the transcription process significantly easier? Sorry for all the questions, I really have no idea about this kind of software!

Thanks!
Collapse

Dmitrij_1980 (X)
Dmitrij_1980 (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Russian to German
easytranscript Feb 22, 2021

Hello Anna
I can recommend you the easytransscript software. It´s free, you can try it out. https://www.e-werkzeug.eu/index.php/en/products/easytranscript

Lg
Dmitrij

Yaotl Altan

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 06:25
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
ExpressScribe Feb 22, 2021

I have only ever used one piece of software, some years ago now, and this is the one I used then — I think it was the free trial version, but I was very happy with it.
When I did a quick Google search, I noticed that there were several available free, and even one from MS that might be worth investigating; there are also online tools available, but I have not tried any of these.
The thing I found most useful — in fact, I would say indispensable — is the ability to adjust the pl
... See more
I have only ever used one piece of software, some years ago now, and this is the one I used then — I think it was the free trial version, but I was very happy with it.
When I did a quick Google search, I noticed that there were several available free, and even one from MS that might be worth investigating; there are also online tools available, but I have not tried any of these.
The thing I found most useful — in fact, I would say indispensable — is the ability to adjust the playing speed, so you can slow down a passage that is difficult to decipher.
Some if not all also offer a foot-pedal facility, for starting and stopping the audio to allow my typing to catch up! If you get into the rhythm of it, you should be able to proceed relatively smoothly, without having to waste too much time going back a little to continue. This is a big time saving, since winding back often involves taking your hands off the keyboard.
Collapse

Janet Muehlbacher
Janet Muehlbacher  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:25
German to English
+ ...
Express Scribe Feb 22, 2021

easy to use

Thierry Martial NIANGORAN
Thierry Martial NIANGORAN  Identity Verified
Cote D'ivoire
Member (2019)
English to French
+ ...
The Best Transcription Software Feb 22, 2021

I am a professional transcriber working today as a transcription consultant for different agencies in the world. Throughout my career, I have had the opportunity to try different transcription software. My answer is YES, transcription software are worth using. They make your job easier and spare you wasting time. But first, they can't do everything for you. Second, everything depends on your recruiter's requirements.

If what your client expects from you is live transcription, then
... See more
I am a professional transcriber working today as a transcription consultant for different agencies in the world. Throughout my career, I have had the opportunity to try different transcription software. My answer is YES, transcription software are worth using. They make your job easier and spare you wasting time. But first, they can't do everything for you. Second, everything depends on your recruiter's requirements.

If what your client expects from you is live transcription, then as a beginner, try Otter. It is user friendly and it has a free trial period. But only English is supported.
On the contrary if you are provided an audio or video file for post transcription as is generally the case, then try Express scribe which also has a free trial period and a simple user interface: the same interface lets you process your text manually, play/pause/rewind/fast forward etc the audio file in a single keystroke, maximum 2. This saves you plenty of time.
Now If what you want is automated transcription, try Sonix. It's artificial intelligence based algorithm is able to produce transcripts which are above 80% accurate, depending on audio quality. Plus it supports many languages. You won't need to process text for hours. Just edit the auto-generated transcript.
Now if you want to do chuchotage transcription, then the best software of the industry is Nuance Dragon.
Collapse

mughwI

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
Express Scribe Feb 24, 2021

I've been using Express Scribe with a foot pedal for a good few years now. You can adjust the playing speed, type in the programme itself or in Word easily, and the whole package is very user-friendly and copes with most audio formats. I'd say the foot pedal is essential though - my productivity increased dramatically compared with using the keyboard commands.

Ibtissam Zine
Charles Ek

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:25
English to Russian
Express Scribe is just a player Feb 26, 2021

You can use any other free audio player to the same effect. In
VLC, you can use numpad + and - to adjust the playing speed. Express Scribe doesn't convert voice to text. It just plays audio files. Why should I pay for that when there are dozens of free audio players available on the Internet.

[Edited at 2021-02-26 23:21 GMT]

Lydia Kim
Lydia Kim
Australia
English to Korean
+ ...
rate Feb 26, 2021

How much do you charge for transcription jobs per hour..? Is that hourly rate..? or by project..?

Ibtissam Zine
Ibtissam Zine
Morocco
Arabic to French
+ ...
Transcription software Mar 1, 2021

Express Scribe

Marta kk (X)
Marta kk (X)
Ukraine
Local time: 07:25
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Transcription software with trial version Apr 28, 2021

I recommend Audext https://audext.com/, it supports Spanish, English, and other languages. Also, there is a trial version (30 minutes for free).

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: advertising
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: fake profile; advertising

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anyone recommend a transcription software?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »