Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 19, 2009

Hi,

I hope I'm posting this to the correct thread topic. Still struggling to get the new laptop to work properly, and here's my latest problem:

In the past weeks, I used the print screen button to take some screen shots, but yesterday, it stopped working. The key reads "home" and below that in a box "prt sc".

To take the shot, I've tried hitting (1) the key; (2) alt + the key; and (3) shift+key. To paste the text, I've used (1) cntl+V and (2) shift+insert.
... See more
Hi,

I hope I'm posting this to the correct thread topic. Still struggling to get the new laptop to work properly, and here's my latest problem:

In the past weeks, I used the print screen button to take some screen shots, but yesterday, it stopped working. The key reads "home" and below that in a box "prt sc".

To take the shot, I've tried hitting (1) the key; (2) alt + the key; and (3) shift+key. To paste the text, I've used (1) cntl+V and (2) shift+insert. I've done all of the above with the number pad locked and unlocked.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Patricia
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use the snipping tool for screen shots? Aug 19, 2009

Hi,

if your laptop has Vista installed, you should have the (handier) "snipping tool" - you can use this:

START ---> ALL PROGRAMS ---> ACCESSORIES ---> snipping tool.

If you have XP, I'm pretty sure there are other free programs out there that do the same thing, it saves you relying on 'print screen'. Just a case of googling a few choice key words.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
forgot about it ... Aug 19, 2009

Thank you! I'd forgotten all about it.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
how to paste into a window Aug 19, 2009

John Paul,

Could you tell me how to paste the screen shot? I capture the image I wanted, but now, I need to paste it into a reply window for a support ticket I have open here at ProZ. When I do shift+insert or control + V nothing happens, and the "paste" option is not available either.

THanks,
Patricia

Sucheta Marathe
Sucheta Marathe  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:16
Marathi to English
+ ...
Use 'Fn' and Home for Prt screen Aug 19, 2009

I think use of ('Fn' + Home ) should work for print Screen

(If 'Prt Sc' is in the box on 'Home' key.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
You need to save it Aug 19, 2009

Once you've taken the screenshot, just go to file ---> 'save as' (desktop'll do fine, or a folder of your convenience), give it a name, and hey presto: Bob's your uncle

After that, you can upload it just like any other picture. I think they save as JPEG files by default, although you can probably change that too (save as type...)

I find this the handiest way of taking screen shots if I ever need them.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Bob may be your uncle ;-) Aug 19, 2009

I can't believe it but when I go to "save as" I don't get a dialogue box. I get nothing, and have no idea where it's saved to. I don't have time right now to research this, but will try to post more info when I have time.

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:46
English to Dutch
+ ...
extended desktop? Aug 19, 2009

Patricia Rosas wrote:
... but yesterday, it stopped working.

Did you by any chance install a second monitor yesterday?
If so, that's the thing.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
FN works! Aug 20, 2009

Sucheta Marathe wrote:

Thank you, Sucheta -- it works!!

And Stefan, thanks for the suggestion, too, but I didn't install another monitor. I'll try to get back to you, John Paul, when I have some free time to research why the snippet tool isn't working.

Thank you all!!

Patricia

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Albanian
+ ...
Print Screen Sep 27, 2009

I use Print Screen in several cases because I am a software developer and I make apps based on request and in User Guides I do the Print Screens.

The print screen can be done using Ctrl + Prt Sc

but instead I am using a small tool made by IrfanView and it has a handy printing utilities. Like for example you want to copy the view of a particular application then you only have to select that particular application and then press a shortcut usually Ctrl + F11 and then yo
... See more
I use Print Screen in several cases because I am a software developer and I make apps based on request and in User Guides I do the Print Screens.

but instead I am using a small tool made by IrfanView and it has a handy printing utilities. Like for example you want to copy the view of a particular application then you only have to select that particular application and then press a shortcut usually Ctrl + F11 and then you get the image of selected application by excluding all other parts.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
shortcut Sep 27, 2009

Ahmet Murati wrote:

but instead I am using a small tool made by IrfanView and it has a handy printing utilities. Like for example you want to copy the view of a particular application then you only have to select that particular application and then press a shortcut usually Ctrl + F11 and then you get the image of selected application by excluding all other parts.

Alt-PrintScreen on MS OSes, no additional sotware needed.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thanks, Farkas and Ahmet ... Sep 27, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

I appreciate all the information you've shared. I'm using Windows Vista, and it turns out that I have to do fn+prt sc for the screen shot to work.

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Albanian
+ ...
yes it works May 23, 2010

Patricia Rosas wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

I appreciate all the information you've shared. I'm using Windows Vista, and it turns out that I have to do fn+prt sc for the screen shot to work.

but if you don't need capturing the full screen then this program is specialized so when you wat to capture a particular program all you have to do is to select option to take such picture and then you will capture only that program ignoring the background

hahahaitszainab
hahahaitszainab
United Kingdom
It worked! Nov 25, 2017

Sucheta Marathe wrote:

Thank you so much sucheta !! solved all my issues

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Print Screen has stopped working

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »