Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Off topic: What is a "technical guy"?
Thread poster: Tom in London
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoted post has been removed
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Poster's request
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoted post has been removed
TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:54
Techie guys (and gals!) Sep 4, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Well, thanks to all; I think I now have much of the information I need in order to make a better-informed decision; but nobody seems to know what a "techie guy" actually does.

One last try, anyone?

Someone (they do come in female versions too, you know!)* who fixes problems, answers questions and helps with changes. Viruses, lost data, file format problems, dead hardware, wanting a new machine...

* Marking coursework earlier this year, I think I caught three of my students referring to web site administrators as "he" or "him". The funny bit being all three were actually female...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Poster's request
Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:54
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Mac/Windows stereotypes Sep 4, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

I see. I've never needed anyone to help me with any of those things, and I don't want to have to call a "technical guy" to do them for me.[Edited at 2015-09-04 14:03 GMT]

Mac users have made a conscious choice at some point to embrace all-things Mac. So they are naturally techie people (or curious people at the very least).
PC users, on the other hand, are a mixture of techie people, and others who simply went for what most people use and aren't remotely interested in software/hardware at all.
That means you have a big group of Windows users who definitely need a technical guy to do any or all of the things that Michael listed above.

(By the way, Tom, you'll be glad to hear that Windows will also find where you saved your clay thingummyjig file in 3 seconds.)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Incomprehensible Sep 4, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

stuff

Couldn't understand a word of that- sorry.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
D'y need a "words guy"? Sep 4, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

stuff

Made perfect sense to me. Although I suspect there may be some sectors where Mac is the default option and people in that sector have to go with the flow without being particularly knowledgeable about the technology they are using. Broadly though, I'd agree with the point made.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Suspicion Sep 4, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

stuff

Made perfect sense to me. Although I suspect there may be some sectors where Mac is the default option and people in that sector have to go with the flow without being particularly knowledgeable about the technology they are using. Broadly though, I'd agree with the point made.

Yeah. But that's only a suspicion you have. I'm here to garner as much knowledge as possible about what my experience would be if I started to use Windows. Some posts have been very helpful; others haven't and seem to be ploughing a furrow of their own.

[Edited at 2015-09-04 15:34 GMT]

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Choosing Macs, or not Sep 4, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Not just a suspicion; it's been that way since the 80s in the graphic design/publication field, and quite heavily used in web design too. (Which is how I got into Macs originally, working on a web project with a vegetarian life-long Mac user - he sold me on one, but not the other!) Get a graphics job, your desk probably already has a Mac on with the Adobe software you'll be using.

They've become much more popular in the software development field lately, too - with even Microsoft and IBM buying them by the truckload, while Google's standard equipment is a choice of Mac or Linux - no Windows machines allowed, except for "special circumstances", such as testing Windows-specific things.

Personally, I use all three for different things. I build graphics and web applications on Macs, deploy them on Linux servers, write the odd utility for both of those plus Windows, and used to support both Mac and Windows users as a small part of the day job. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
reluctance Sep 4, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

I'm here to garner as much knowledge as possible about what my experience would be if I started to use Windows.

You do seem reluctant, though. And in truth, if you're happy being a Mac user, why change? I thought the general belief is that it is a superior technology. Is that why you're a Mac user now?

I've gone with Windows & Microsoft products because most of my work comes in the form of Word, Excel and Powerpoint as used by many (most?) bog standard commercial/office bods the world over, and I used them myself when I was one such bod. I know you can emulate Windows and get open source software to replicate Office in most respects, but I'm a strong believer in not frigging around with computers too much and keeping things simple. Is this why you're thinking of switching?

I'm probably going to jinx it now by saying this, but I've never had any serious trouble with Windows or Office. I've had Windows NT, XP, 7 and now 8, and all have been fine. I just get my arse down to PC World once every couple of years and buy from there. Yeah, you get all the bloat, but I just uninstall the stuff that looks surplus to requirements and then install the stuff I do want.

(When I talk of suspicion, I know damn well there are, it's just not my style to be so unequivocal. English understatement, used here in terms of the level of certainty.)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Apple issue Sep 4, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I'm here to garner as much knowledge as possible about what my experience would be if I started to use Windows.

You do seem reluctant, though. And in truth, if you're happy being a Mac user, why change? I thought the general belief is that it is a superior technology. Is that why you're a Mac user now?

I've gone with Windows & Microsoft products because most of my work comes in the form of Word, Excel and Powerpoint as used by many (most?) bog standard commercial/office bods the world over, and I used them myself when I was one such bod. I know you can emulate Windows and get open source software to replicate Office in most respects, but I'm a strong believer in not frigging around with computers too much and keeping things simple. Is this why you're thinking of switching?

I'm probably going to jinx it now by saying this, but I've never had any serious trouble with Windows or Office. I've had Windows NT, XP, 7 and now 8, and all have been fine. I just get my arse down to PC World once every couple of years and buy from there. Yeah, you get all the bloat, but I just uninstall the stuff that looks surplus to requirements and then install the stuff I do want.

(When I talk of suspicion, I know damn well there are, it's just not my style to be so unequivocal. English understatement, used here in terms of the level of certainty.)

I've never been a Mac fanboi (no, I don't like the spelling either but apparently it's correct) and I don't like the way Apple went when Jobs got forced out. When Jobs came back, like him or not, he had a vision and he transformed Apple. Then he died and his successors have, in my opinion, lost their focus and are more interested in making money than making computers. Example: today's MacWorld says "We know that we'll see a new iPhone, most likely called the 6s and the 6s Plus (or the 6 Plus s?). There may be new colors, and there may or may not be a 4-inch model of the iPhone". Sorry, but I just can't get excited about those things.

For now I'm OK with the MacOS, which causes me no problems and I'm familiar with it. I'm just looking around at what other options there might be. I think the future may hold a major Apple problem and I'd like to be aware of what other options there are. I know plenty of people who use Windows and they seem quite normal

[Edited at 2015-09-04 16:46 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
It's not as hellacious as it may appear... Sep 4, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
Jesus! Does this happen often? Has it happened to you?

No, this has never happened to me. I use one anti-virus package and I make sure I don't click on any email links from people I don't know. Those two simple precautions have kept me safe for the past couple of decades. A naturally wary chap like yourself will be fine.

Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a "technical guy"?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »