Windows 10: How to disable an app?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:55
Oct 19, 2015

How can I disable an app (Minecraft) for a Standard user account of a user who is logged in via an e-mail address (@outlook.com)? Is this already possible in Windows 10?

Hans

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:55
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Can't you just uninstall it? Oct 19, 2015

From the Store, or by right licking its tile?

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 21:55
English to Spanish
Account Settings Oct 19, 2015

You can set up family accounts in Settings. Here are the instructions for that http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/set-up-family?woldogcb=0#set-up-family=windows-10&set-up-family-safety=windows-10
After you add the account, you can turn on restrictions on apps, games, etc.
Good luck.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:55
TOPIC STARTER
Still not solved Oct 19, 2015

Simply deleting the Minecraft app, won't do it: it should be available in other accounts on the laptop.

In Windows 8.1 I could simply instruct Windows to disable a certain program.

Now Family Safety has been revised. It tells me that in order to block an app, I have to select it in Recent Apps at that page (it's in a browser). But the Java version of Minecraft isn't listed there at all (which isn't strange: how should this Family Safety app know, that Minecraft for Java
... See more
Simply deleting the Minecraft app, won't do it: it should be available in other accounts on the laptop.

In Windows 8.1 I could simply instruct Windows to disable a certain program.

Now Family Safety has been revised. It tells me that in order to block an app, I have to select it in Recent Apps at that page (it's in a browser). But the Java version of Minecraft isn't listed there at all (which isn't strange: how should this Family Safety app know, that Minecraft for Java has been executed locally). Can only apps from the Windows store be disabled like this?

Another approach: run gpedit.msc and disable Minecraft (if possible). However, I cannot start gpedit on my Windows computer. I find:

Group policies are not supported in the Home version.

So I'm stuck here.

(Disabling apps is very simple in Parental Control in OS X.)

This all has little to do with translating, so I'd like to ask my question in a good Windows 10 forum. Could somebody please advise one?

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:55
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Try these Oct 19, 2015

I have no experience myself with the Family Safety system in Windows 10, although I heard that MS screwed it up compared to previous versions.

I had a quick look, and it seems you should be able to disable programs. However, I don't have MineCraft installed so I can't test this specifically with MineCraft.

The Group Policy management console doesn't exist on the Home version (but you can still edit the registry if you know which keys to create/modify, which you obviousl
... See more
I have no experience myself with the Family Safety system in Windows 10, although I heard that MS screwed it up compared to previous versions.

I had a quick look, and it seems you should be able to disable programs. However, I don't have MineCraft installed so I can't test this specifically with MineCraft.

The Group Policy management console doesn't exist on the Home version (but you can still edit the registry if you know which keys to create/modify, which you obviously don't in this case).

I suggest to give this another try and experiment a little, maybe read some MS documentation (or other) on the subject to try and understand their sometimes cumbersome logic, but if you want to ask in a Windows specific forums, I can suggest:
Ten Forums and Windows Community, but there are more, such as SuperUser.

[Edited at 2015-10-19 18:50 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 10: How to disable an app?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »