Still using fax machines?
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
some times Jan 10, 2018

Quite many businessmen still prefer a hardcopy to an electronic message, no prob here.
I often used a fax via a landline, soon replaced by VentaFax or MS fax addon.
Well, I still do have a box of fax (termo) paper rolls nearby)

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:07
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Believe it or not, I just bought one! Jan 10, 2018

I have a second landline at home, which was used for fax, and in the days of dial-up Internet. I brought it when I moved here, and I'm keeping that line, because it was installed using the very last pair available in the building connection box.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to get rid of my old Lexmark multifunctional printer. I regretted having bought it after the first ink cartridges were exhausted. They were expensive, not rechargeable, and lasted a bit over 100 pages. The printe
... See more
I have a second landline at home, which was used for fax, and in the days of dial-up Internet. I brought it when I moved here, and I'm keeping that line, because it was installed using the very last pair available in the building connection box.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to get rid of my old Lexmark multifunctional printer. I regretted having bought it after the first ink cartridges were exhausted. They were expensive, not rechargeable, and lasted a bit over 100 pages. The printer was just average, the scanner was pretty bad, and its ADF could not be trusted with any irreplaceable paper (on top of requiring three hands to operate). After these cartridges vanished from the marketplace, I wrote Lexmark about it, and they directed me to their distributor, who said that he "might" still have one such black cartridge.

While looking for a new printer, I found a small shop downtown that recharged such non-rechargeable Lexmark cartridges for peanuts, so I took two of each (color/B&W). They worked, however the colors were all wrong. In order to make them work, I had to endure Windows bombarding me with messages that the cartridges were empty (click OK), and the printer bombarding me that the ink was not original (press OK). Furthermore, the refilled cartridges (the black one included) were soiled with green ink (blue&green, I assume). As the woman at the shop was a platinum blonde (no, not a pin-up, too old and overweight for that), I envisioned her and two equally blond daughters at home, all covered with green ink. (Nothing against blondes, however the green ink stands out on them.)

I'd had it with Lexmark, so I gave it away on the local Free-your-stuff group on FB. Someone picked it up on the next day, with some 50 empty ink cartridges.

My laser printer, a HP 6MP, celebrated its 20th anniversary from the manufacturing date on the nameplate last April. While still working, and I have some 8 cartridges for it, the toner it uses is no longer manufactured! Modern technology uses toner with a lower melting point.

So I sought a tank-fed color inkjet with ADF. The most suitable I found was an Epson Ecotank with a fax too! If I wanted one without a fax, it would either be B&W only, or it wouldn't have the ADF for scanning.

Operating costs are very attractive. For the same price I'd pay for two couples of those Lexmark cartridges, which would print less than 250 pages, now I'll buy 4 ink bottles, which are supposed to last for 12,000 pages!

All solved, the fax is installed, however I don't know anyone who still has a working fax so I could test mine!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Still using fax machines?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »