Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 5, 2019

Hello everyone

When I use bilingual review in WFP5, and I import a file in which the source text ends on two tags with a space between them, and the target text too, then the imported TXLF file has no space between the tags in the target text. This happens consistently. Is there a workaround for that?

My DOC file definitely contains e.g. "Wat maak die liggaam met die studiemedisyne?‭[g1] ‭[/g1]", but the TXLF then ends up having "Wat maak die liggaam met die studi
... See more
Hello everyone

When I use bilingual review in WFP5, and I import a file in which the source text ends on two tags with a space between them, and the target text too, then the imported TXLF file has no space between the tags in the target text. This happens consistently. Is there a workaround for that?

My DOC file definitely contains e.g. "Wat maak die liggaam met die studiemedisyne?‭[g1] ‭[/g1]", but the TXLF then ends up having "Wat maak die liggaam met die studiemedisyne?‭{tag}{tag}". This means that my final file often has sentences with no space between the sentences.

It not only happens at the ends of segments -- in many places where there is a space between tags, the space is lost when importing the bilingual review file back into TXLF. And if those two tags are on either side of a space between words, then those two words become one word in the final file...

The only way I know of to fix this is to open the TXLF file in WFP5, run a TransCheck, and fix the tag spacing manually. But that's just silly -- the DOC file is error-free, so the TXLF should be too.

Has anyone noticed this problem as well?

adult segment 185 in DOC

adult segment 185 after import (report)

adult segment 185 after import (TXLF)

Anyway, in the mean time, the solution is to use a dummy character string in the DOC files, e.g. "Wat maak die liggaam met die studiemedisyne?‭[g1]###[/g1]" and then change them to spaces by editing the TXLF file in a plain text editor.

Samuel

[Edited at 2019-09-06 12:25 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFP5 bilingual review import loses spaces between tags

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »