Message "Wordfast Pro" would like to receive keystrokes from any application | MacOs Catalina
Thread poster: Ehab Tantawy
Ehab Tantawy
Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:59
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 23, 2019

Hello Dear Prozians,

I've recently upgraded my MacOs to Catalina! and also same also for Wordfast PRO 5.11.1!

Each time I do open Wordfast I do receive a message {"Wordfast Pro" would like to receive keystrokes from any application}.

This requires selecting one of the two actions; "Open System Preferences" or "Deny"

When I select the Open Pref. option it opens Security and Privacy window, it gives me a selection for "wordfast" app to check/enab
... See more
Hello Dear Prozians,

I've recently upgraded my MacOs to Catalina! and also same also for Wordfast PRO 5.11.1!

Each time I do open Wordfast I do receive a message {"Wordfast Pro" would like to receive keystrokes from any application}.

This requires selecting one of the two actions; "Open System Preferences" or "Deny"

When I select the Open Pref. option it opens Security and Privacy window, it gives me a selection for "wordfast" app to check/enable it under a message that means to select this app to allow it to monitor input from my keyboard even while using other apps.

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 11.21.02 PM

Why does this appear (which was not happening before)?
How to avoid this message every time I fo open Wordfast Pro?

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Best,
Ehab
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Try this? Oct 24, 2019

Perhaps you can try this:

• Close WFP.
  • Remove the Wordfast entry from the Privacy tab.
  • Reboot Catalina.
  • Start WFP.
  • Tick the (new) checkbox of the Wordfast entry in the Privacy tab

HTH ...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:59
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Keystrokes Oct 24, 2019

Would you be happy to have all your keystrokes memorised in a remote server you don't know anything about - or even where it is, who owns it, and what kind of access they have to the data?

What about when you type in your password to your bank account? Happy with that?

Why should you even have to "allow" or "deny" that?

[Edited at 2019-10-24 08:47 GMT]

Ehab Tantawy
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 24, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Would you be happy to have all your keystrokes memorised in a remote server you don't know anything about - or even where it is, who owns it, and what kind of access they have to the data?

What about when you type in your password to your bank account? Happy with that?

Why should you even have to "allow" or "deny" that?

[Edited at 2019-10-24 08:47 GMT]

Hello Tom,

Many thanks for the time you spent to help me.

Actually, what I've understood from this is the versus! I mean that I should accept this to be able to input/type inside WFP!

May be I did not read it carefully, but your advice/clarification is highly appreciated.

Have a great morning!

Best,
Ehab

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Apologies Oct 24, 2019

Yes- Apologies, Ehab. I went slightly off-topic. Your post re-awakened in me some of the general concerns I have about using the so-called "Cloud" (which is not a cloud).

Ehab Tantawy
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hans! Oct 24, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

Perhaps you can try this:

• Close WFP.
  • Remove the Wordfast entry from the Privacy tab.
  • Reboot Catalina.
  • Start WFP.
  • Tick the (new) checkbox of the Wordfast entry in the Privacy tab

HTH ...

Thanks Hans!

I've selected "Deny" as per Tom's advice, but when closed the App and opened it again, the message appeared again???!!!!

A strange behavior!

Best

Ehab Tantawy
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Worries, issue continues! Oct 24, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Yes- Apologies, Ehab. I went slightly off-topic. Your post re-awakened in me some of the general concerns I have about using the so-called "Cloud" (which is not a cloud).

No worries Tom!

The problem is that I've selected "DENY", and used the program for some minutes and closed it, then opened it again and the message of selecting either "Open System Preferences" or "Deny" appeared again!

Brainstorming

Paul Sinfield
Paul Sinfield  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Any response from Wordfast on this? Nov 22, 2019

It is a very alarming (perhaps poorly worded?) but why on Earth would anyone want Wordfast to record keystrokes? Does it still work if you hit "Deny"? I've just been ignoring the message ...

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 17:59
macOS Catalina works in mysterious ways Nov 22, 2019

Paul Sinfield wrote:

It is a very alarming (perhaps poorly worded?) but why on Earth would anyone want Wordfast to record keystrokes? Does it still work if you hit "Deny"? I've just been ignoring the message ...

We do not record any keystrokes and it is a problem with several Java programs after Catalina upgrade starting to complain. As strong as the message is we are not recording any keystrokes or storing it or sending it to a server or cloud.

Here's the problem happening to NVIDIA graphics card software: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4868/~/i-upgraded-my-macos-to-10.15-catalina-and-i-am-getting-a-different-mouse

Here's the problem explained by JAVA developers scrambling to find solution and Apple remain silent on answering this issue: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8231513

Our developers are still trying to find a solution on this new message added in Catalina.

Hope this helps to answer some of the questions

Thank you,
John

Ehab Tantawy
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast PRO 5.12 (new issues) Nov 22, 2019

John Daniel wrote:

Paul Sinfield wrote:

We do not record any keystrokes and it is a problem with several Java programs after Catalina upgrade starting to complain. As strong as the message is we are not recording any keystrokes or storing it or sending it to a server or cloud.

Here's the problem happening to NVIDIA graphics card software: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4868/~/i-upgraded-my-macos-to-10.15-catalina-and-i-am-getting-a-different-mouse

Here's the problem explained by JAVA developers scrambling to find solution and Apple remain silent on answering this issue: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8231513

Our developers are still trying to find a solution on this new message added in Catalina.

Hope this helps to answer some of the questions

Thank you,
John

Hello John,

Thanks for your input!

Actually, I am working currently with selecting "Deny", but the problem is that the last update Ver 5.12 came with an old issue!

After closing Wordfast inside Mac OS, an issue was happening in the past that I do receive an error message "Wordfast Pro quit unexpectedly. Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple." [Ignore] [Report..] [Reopen]

This error message was disappeared on the last two versions before 5.12.

Please could you help or put your explanation for the same?

Best,
Ehab

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 17:59
Default switch to heavyweight browser mode Nov 22, 2019

Ehab Tantawy wrote:

Hello John,

Thanks for your input!

Actually, I am working currently with selecting "Deny", but the problem is that the last update Ver 5.12 came with an old issue!

After closing Wordfast inside Mac OS, an issue was happening in the past that I do receive an error message "Wordfast Pro quit unexpectedly. Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple." ( Ignore ) ( Report.. ) ( Reopen )

This error message was disappeared on the last two versions before 5.12.

Please could you help or put your explanation for the same?

Best,
Ehab

Last two versions we ran Wordfast for macOS default on lightweight browser mode but it came with lot of Keyboard and Editor problems. So we switched it back to heavyweight mode as default and Crash on Close as known issue.

If you go don't like the crash message you can switch to lightweight mode by clicking Wordfast Icon and last suboption to switch to lightweight mode. Then restart the application. We're trying to fix the crash on close but so far we don't have solution to this problem.

Thank you,
John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Message "Wordfast Pro" would like to receive keystrokes from any application | MacOs Catalina

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »