Thread poster: Colonia59
Colonia59
Colonia59
Local time: 17:15
English to German
+ ...
Dec 10, 2019

Hello and greetings to all of you!

I have worked with WordFast Classic for many years and want to work with WordFast Pro 5 either. Therefore I would like to import the existing translation memories from the Classic version into WordFast Pro 5. I proceeded exactly as it says in the manual, but always get the message "0 TUs have been imported" and the TM is completely empty. But the TXT file contains about 400,000 TUs...

Can someone please help me with this problem
... See more
Hello and greetings to all of you!

I have worked with WordFast Classic for many years and want to work with WordFast Pro 5 either. Therefore I would like to import the existing translation memories from the Classic version into WordFast Pro 5. I proceeded exactly as it says in the manual, but always get the message "0 TUs have been imported" and the TM is completely empty. But the TXT file contains about 400,000 TUs...

Can someone please help me with this problem?

Many thanks in advance!

Axel
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:15
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TMX Export Dec 10, 2019

Hi,

I would try to export the contents of your txt TM as a tmx file from WordFast Classic and then I'd import the resulting tmx file into a newly-created WFP 5 TM.

Colonia59
Colonia59
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TMX Import Dec 10, 2019

Many thanks, Andriy.

I've tried this but unfortunately the result is the same: "0 TUs have been imported"

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:15
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TXT TM Export Dec 10, 2019

Well, if this is the case, please try to export the TM as is as a txt file. Then, import the txt file into Olifant – Okapi Translation Memory Editor (prdownloads.sourceforge.net/okapi/Olifant-R00022.zip?download) and save the TM as a tmx file. Afterwards, you should be able to import the tmx into WFP 5.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Colonia59 Dec 11, 2019

Andriy Yasharov wrote:
I would try to export the contents of your txt TM as a tmx file from WordFast Classic and then I'd import the resulting tmx file into a newly-created WFP 5 TM.

Colonia59 wrote:
I've tried this but unfortunately the result is the same: "0 TUs have been imported"

What is the file size of the TMX file that you created? Does it contain all your 400 000 segments, or is it basically empty?

What are the language codes used in the TXT TM and the TMX TM? You can open the TMX file in something like Notepad to look at. Are the language codes in the WFP5 TM the same as in the TMX file?

David Daduč
Milan Condak

Colonia59
Colonia59
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
0 TUs have been imported Dec 12, 2019

Many thanks, Andriy.

Olifant is an interesting program. I've tried this but unfortunately the result is the same: "0 TUs have been imported"

Regards Axel

Colonia59
Colonia59
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
0 TUs have been imported Dec 12, 2019

Thanks Samuel.

//What is the file size of the TMX file that you created? Does it contain all your 400 000 segments, or is it basically empty?//

The size is 142 MB and it contains all segments.

//What are the language codes used in the TXT TM and the TMX TM?//

The codes are EN-GB and DE-DE

//Are the language codes in the WFP5 TM the same as in the TMX file?//

The WFP5 TN is completely empty, there are no language codes
... See more
Thanks Samuel.

//What is the file size of the TMX file that you created? Does it contain all your 400 000 segments, or is it basically empty?//

The size is 142 MB and it contains all segments.

//What are the language codes used in the TXT TM and the TMX TM?//

The codes are EN-GB and DE-DE

The WFP5 TN is completely empty, there are no language codes...
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Colonia59 Dec 12, 2019

Colonia59 wrote:
The WFP5 TM is completely empty, there are no language codes...

The WFP5 TM can't exist without language codes.

Let's try this step-by-step again.

1. In WFP5, go to Quick Tools (it's an icon on the left that looks like a fork and a spoon), then go to the Analysis tab (don't ask why!), then in the Translation Memories section on the right-hand side, click Create Local (it's an icon that looks like a oil barrel with a bit of yellow sunshine).

This will create a local WFP5 TM. Unfortunately, you can't type in language codes -- that would be too complicated for WFP5's intended users. Instead, you'll have to type "English" and then scroll down to "United Kingdom" (and click it), and type "German" and scroll down to "Germany" (and click it).

2. When you've created the WFP5 TM, it should appear in the list of TMs on that same tab below the oil barrel icons. Then, click Import TM (the oil barrel icon with a yellow "up" arrow), select your TMX file, select the newly created WFP5 TM, and let it import.

You can also skip step 1 and select the "create new TM" option when you use the "Import TM" function, but then it'll prompt you to create a new TM anyway, so you might as well do step 1 anyway.

Is this what you've been doing?

Milan Condak

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Import works Dec 12, 2019

Colonia59 wrote:

always get the message "0 TUs have been imported" and the TM is completely empty. But the TXT file contains about 400,000 TUs...

Hi Axel,

a) I created a project English-Great Britain to German-Germany and tried to import TMX from OPUS

http://opus.nlpl.eu/EMEA.php

de-en 364 000 TUs

Results:
1. Language codes in TMX are "de" and "en", I edited it in Notepad to "DE-DE" and "EN-GB"
2. The direction of languages is reverted and "0 TUs have been imported"

b) I created a project German-Germany to English-Great Britain

Results:
1. TMX was imported, 364 005 TUs have been imported
2. In project file "de-en\data\index\ is TM: 528kB in 294 files.

Cheers,

Milan

Mark van de Velde
Mark van de Velde
Poland
English to Dutch
Change the first part in the TMX Dec 17, 2019

The WFP5 TN is completely empty, there are no language codes...

I had the same issue with DGT TM's in WFP. After you've created a TM, open it with a text editor and substitute the lines on the top:

(I pasted the lines here, but it is considered html and won't show...Better check the Wordfast FB group where there is a discussion about this topic.)

After this, WFP will import all TU's in the TM.

[Edited at 2019-12-17 15:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-12-17 15:23 GMT]

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
I created a presentation in language mix CzEnglish Dec 18, 2019

Mark van de Velde wrote:

After you've created a TM, open it with a text editor and substitute the lines on the top:

If you want edit TMX, you should edit all segments (TUs).
--
Import TMX into Wordfast Pro 5

(I shall separate texts into two languages: cs and en. Later.)

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2019-12/14/cs/00.html

Importovaná TMX EMEA

01 Import TMX into Wordfast Pro 5
02 Importovaná TMX EMEA
03 German-English Project
04 OmegaT 5.0.0

Milan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast Pro 5: Import TM Report says "0 TUs have been imported"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »