Wordfast 5 not working due to Java error
Thread poster: Carolina Costa
Carolina Costa
Carolina Costa
Argentina
Local time: 06:48
English to Spanish
Feb 3, 2020

On December 27, 2019 I tried to use Worfast 5 and a request to download a new version came up as soon as I opened WF5. I downloaded it and tried to install, but since then, I keep getting a Java error "Java was started but returned exit code = 1".

Of course, I followed all steps regarding installation issues in the wiki and support pages and then I wrote to the hotline. These are all the instructions I followed:

Downloa
... See more
On December 27, 2019 I tried to use Worfast 5 and a request to download a new version came up as soon as I opened WF5. I downloaded it and tried to install, but since then, I keep getting a Java error "Java was started but returned exit code = 1".

Of course, I followed all steps regarding installation issues in the wiki and support pages and then I wrote to the hotline. These are all the instructions I followed:

Download and run the Microsoft tool recommended at https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Pro_fails_to_install_in_Windows

I have added an exception for my antivirus and Windows Defender.

I am still unable to accept Wordfast 5 jobs as my issue was unresolved.

Java
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:48
English to French
+ ...
Did you contact the hotline again? Feb 3, 2020

I recommend insisting. This is a users forum, even though, in my experience, Wf people do monitor it more or less regularly.

Me, I would send messages to the hotline until the issue is resolved.

In the meantime, have you uninstalled/reinstalled Wf?? Have you googled "Java was started but returned exit code = 1"? There are plenty of references to this error message, and they all point out to a Java issue (rather than a Wf issue). The Wf Wiki page you referred to deals on
... See more
I recommend insisting. This is a users forum, even though, in my experience, Wf people do monitor it more or less regularly.

Me, I would send messages to the hotline until the issue is resolved.

In the meantime, have you uninstalled/reinstalled Wf?? Have you googled "Java was started but returned exit code = 1"? There are plenty of references to this error message, and they all point out to a Java issue (rather than a Wf issue). The Wf Wiki page you referred to deals only with Wf installation issues, which may or may not be your problem.

How about uninstalling, then re-installing Java, and then doing the same for Wf??
Collapse

Carolina Costa
Carolina Costa
Argentina
Local time: 06:48
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast 5 not working due to Java error Feb 4, 2020

Hi! Yes, I know this is a user's forum, sorry for this, but I need to find a solution.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled WF. I have googled and tried the solutions I found.

I will keep trying and insisting with the hotline.

Leena Heiska
Leena Heiska
Finland
Local time: 11:48
English to Finnish
the same issue Mar 10, 2020

I'm having exactly the same issue, I hope someone could help.

Katerina Kubesova
Katerina Kubesova
Local time: 10:48
English to Czech
+ ...
Exactly the same problem with me - several months May 31, 2020

Have you someone found a solution?
I have exactly the same error message like you, Carolina.
I have contacted WF support several times, nothing helps.
The last recommendation was to use another computer but this is not a question I would expect

!!!IMPORTANT UPDATE - SOLUTION FOUND!!!
We have delved deeper into the problem with my husband today and found a solution a while ago.
Thi
... See more
The last recommendation was to use another computer but this is not a question I would expect

We have delved deeper into the problem with my husband today and found a solution a while ago.
This is what helped in my case:

Open Wordfast Pro.ini (I have it in folder Program Files > Wordfast Pro) in NotePad and change the line
-Xms1g
to be:
-Xmx1024m
Save the file and try to open Wordfast Pro.

With me it was not possible to simply save the Wordfast Pro.ini file so we have saved it in another folder, deleted the original file and replaced with this new one. And then WF Pro opened and it is working.

[Upraveno: 2020-05-31 12:30 GMT]

[Upraveno: 2020-05-31 12:31 GMT]
Collapse

DZiW (X)
Ehab Tantawy

Alexa Golova
Alexa Golova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:48
Member (2019)
English to Russian
Another solution Dec 1, 2020

Recently I had the same problem. I reinstalled the fresh Java, even two: for 32-bit and 64-bit system (because I have Windows 7, 64-bit). I reinstalled Wordfast. Nothing helped! The only thing that helped: you need to go to Wordfast folder in Program files and delete the file Wordfast Pro.ini (it's better to cut and paste this file to some other folder... just in case). And that's all - my Wordfast Pro is pretty much alive again!

Ehab Tantawy
Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:48
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
A perfect solution May 18, 2022

EnDe wrote:

This is what helped in my case:

Open Wordfast Pro.ini (I have it in folder Program Files > Wordfast Pro) in NotePad and change the line
-Xms1g
to be:
-Xmx1024m
Save the file and try to open Wordfast Pro.

With me it was not possible to simply save the Wordfast Pro.ini file so we have saved it in another folder, deleted the original file and replaced with this new one. And then WF Pro opened and it is working.

[Upraveno: 2020-05-31 12:30 GMT]

[Upraveno: 2020-05-31 12:31 GMT]

Many Thanks EnDe! This solved the problem perfectly.

ALl the best,
Ehab

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 5 not working due to Java error

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »