Wordfast classic and new Word version compatibility
Thread poster: Sergio Lozano
Sergio Lozano
Sergio Lozano
Mexico
Local time: 16:58
Spanish to English
Mar 24, 2021

I use Wordfast classic for translation of research manuscripts in Word 2010. I have not used classic in newer versions of Word such as Word in Office 365 or Word 2016. My question is if anyone has tried using these new versions with wordfast classic and if they work well. I use Wordfast classic to aovid having to include formatting tags when I translate. Classic also allows rewriting the text as I translate.
Sooner or later Microsoft will force us to change, so if anyone knows of an altern
... See more
I use Wordfast classic for translation of research manuscripts in Word 2010. I have not used classic in newer versions of Word such as Word in Office 365 or Word 2016. My question is if anyone has tried using these new versions with wordfast classic and if they work well. I use Wordfast classic to aovid having to include formatting tags when I translate. Classic also allows rewriting the text as I translate.
Sooner or later Microsoft will force us to change, so if anyone knows of an alternative solution, I would be grateful.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sergio Mar 24, 2021

Sergio Lozano wrote:
My question is if anyone has tried using these new versions with wordfast classic and if they work well.

I believe there are some WFC users who use the latest version of Word at the WFU mailing list.

Sergio Lozano

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
WfC fine with MS Word 365 on PC Mar 24, 2021

I've never used anything but Wordfast Classic and have been using it with Word 365 on a PC with no problems for two or three years now.

Sergio Lozano

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which version, though? Mar 24, 2021

Michael Wetzel wrote:
I've never used anything but Wordfast Classic and have been using it with Word 365 on a PC with no problems for two or three years now.

Yes, but which version of WFC?

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Took me a while to find out. Mar 25, 2021

After figuring out how to look it up, I now see that I'm using version 6.45 and that my license has been expired for nine months (not sure why they aren't better about insisting that people actually pay for their product). Looks like it's time to update my version (they're on Version 8) and send them some money again.

I had not thought about the issue of using an even older version of WfC on an expired license, so I don't know anything about that.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word OK but NOT Excel Mar 26, 2021

AFAIK, WFC should work fine with MS Word, but will not work with MS Excel in versions higher than MS Office 2010.

Andy Watkinson

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Michael Mar 26, 2021

Michael Wetzel wrote:
After figuring out how to look it up, I now see that I'm using version 6.45 and that my license has been expired for nine months (not sure why they aren't better about insisting that people actually pay for their product).

I believe the current licensing scheme is a bit of a combination between the honour system and only paying for upgrades. If you log in and download any version of WFC after about roughly 6.10, the wordfast.dot file is permanently registered (this is also why you should not share it with anyone, because then they'll be using a copy of WFC registered in your name). However, if you want to download any recent version of WFC, you need to be logged in when you do it (and for this, your license must be up to date), otherwise you can only download demo versions.

Looks like it's time to update my version (they're on Version 8) and send them some money again.

Well, you can keep on using the old version even if you pay them money. I use WFC 6.03t. And may I suggest keeping a backup copy of your version 6.45, because you won't be able to get it back if you lose it. Version 8 is a fine version but some things have changed.

Barbara Brockschmidt
Barbara Brockschmidt
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Wordfast Classic suddenly not working with Word 2019 Sep 5, 2021

Hello. For a while, Wordfast Classic worked ok with my new Word 2019, version 2107. Suddenly, I am only able to open one segment. If I want to enter something, close or go on to the next segment, the document will hang. If I wait for about 4 minutes or so, it will do the next step....
Has anyone ever had this problem? Do you think I need to change any of the Word settings?
Thanks very much in advance.

Barbara Villa

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Reinstall Sep 6, 2021

Barbara Brockschmidt wrote:

Hello. For a while, Wordfast Classic worked ok with my new Word 2019, version 2107. Suddenly, I am only able to open one segment. If I want to enter something, close or go on to the next segment, the document will hang. If I wait for about 4 minutes or so, it will do the next step....
Has anyone ever had this problem? Do you think I need to change any of the Word settings?

I don’t know about your particular problem, but whenever I have trouble the standard advice is to install the latest version from their website, and it normally does fix everything.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Barbara Sep 6, 2021

For a while, Wordfast Classic worked ok with my new Word 2019, version 2107.

1. You have to tell us which version of WFC you're using.
2. Did you recently upgrade to a newer version of WFC?
3. Does this problem happen with all documents or only with this one specific document?
4. You can also ask your question on the Wordfast mailing list: https://wordfast.groups.io

Thomas Finnis
Thomas Finnis
German to English
+ ...
Same issues with WFC crashing in 2019 Sep 14, 2021

For a while, Wordfast Classic worked ok with my new Word 2019, version 2107. Suddenly, I am only able to open one segment. If I want to enter something, close or go on to the next segment, the document will hang. If I wait for about 4 minutes or so, it will do the next step....

I'm having the exact same problem and am quite flummoxed. I have a new installation of Word 2019 which otherwise works fine, including with my old dotm template, and have installed the same WFC 6.99 as before, but am now seeing this issue. I don't want to upgrade to WFC 8 because FR is not reliable, among other things.

I would be very pleased indeed to solve this issue. I'm hard at work on it, and if I get somewhere I'll post it here.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
FR? Sep 14, 2021

Thomas Finnis wrote:
I don't want to upgrade to WFC 8 because FR is not reliable, among other things.

What is FR?

The only only I problem I have currently is after you clean up a file it often leaves all the formatting marks visible so I have to switch that off manually.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Newer Word versions make older Wordfast Classic versions hang in tables Sep 16, 2021

From the previous discussion here:
For a while, Wordfast Classic worked ok with my new Word 2019, version 2107. Suddenly, I am only able to open one segment. If I want to enter something, close or go on to the next segment, the document will hang. If I wait for about 4 minutes or so, it will do the next step....

I'm having the exact same problem and am quite flummoxed. I have a new installation of Word 2019 which otherwise works fine, including with my old dotm template, and have installed the same WFC 6.99 as before…

A Microsoft update to newer MS Office versions (about two years ago, I believe) caused Wordfast Classic to hang in Word tables. WFC was updated to resolve this, so if you are using Word 2019, I believe you should use update WFC as well. That will hopefully solve the problem.

Barbara Villa
Barbara Villa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Wordfast Classic is really slow since I´ve installed it in my new notebook. Sep 21, 2021

Hello peers,

I´ve recently downloaded my preregistered 6.99 wordfast but it is so slow I can´t work on Word (from Office 16) . I´ve tried to install it several times, when I´ve tried other versions it would not support my over 500 TUs or it would not even appear within Word.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast classic and new Word version compatibility

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »