Off topic: Translation of an Arabic last name
Thread poster: phynta
phynta
phynta
Netherlands
Mar 2, 2014

Hi,

This question is of a romantic nature. I met a girl on the train station named Goa. We had a nice chat and a connection. When she had to catch her train I asked her what her last name was, hoping I could find her later. She said something I couldn't understand and I said 'what'? than she said right before the doors closed it means 'Light of the Universe' in Arabic.

She was born on Curacao.

Does anyone have an idea what her name might be?

Hafsa
Hafsa
Local time: 19:24
Arabic to English
+ ...
It can be many things! Mar 2, 2014

Hi,

There are lots of names in Arabic that means "Light of the universe".
To be of help, what did she say? Did she say something like " Diya'a" or "Nour Sama'a" ??

Give me any letter you recall, that can help a bit

And it's such a romantic story! Just like in the movies

phynta
phynta
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
4 or more syllables.. Mar 2, 2014

Hey thanks for your reply,

Yeah it's romantic and stupid at the same time. Should have asked for her information sooner...
What i can remember it had about 4 (or more..) syllables and I can remember an i and m...but I'm just not shire. There was a train passing at that moment and I couldn't hardly hear.

I tried the names you gave me on Facebook and google but nothing showed up. I guess faith will decide if we meet again one day.

[Edited at 2014-0
... See more
Hey thanks for your reply,

Yeah it's romantic and stupid at the same time. Should have asked for her information sooner...
What i can remember it had about 4 (or more..) syllables and I can remember an i and m...but I'm just not shire. There was a train passing at that moment and I couldn't hardly hear.

I tried the names you gave me on Facebook and google but nothing showed up. I guess faith will decide if we meet again one day.

[Edited at 2014-03-03 17:12 GMT]
Collapse

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 21:24
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Possibly... Mar 2, 2014

* Noureddin = نور الدين
which means "light of religion"

It can be written in a formal way like this: Nour Al-Din, Nour Al-Deen,.. You will not find it "Noureddin" because this is just how it's pronounced.

P.S: I don't think it's a good idea to share the girl's personal life details here, especially that we may be able to find her full name, if we guessed correctly!

[Edited at 2014-03-02 18:58 GMT]

phynta
phynta
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 2, 2014

Noura,

Maybe that was it....I'm not sure I will find her.
I will not share more about her you're right.

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 21:24
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Good luck Mar 3, 2014

phynta wrote:

Noura,

Maybe that was it....I'm not sure I will find her.
I will not share more about her you're right.

You can always edit your previous post and delete the information about her personal life through that small blue "Edit" button at the bottom of your post.

Good luck and best wishes, Phynta.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of an Arabic last name

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »