Statele Unite
Local time: 02:40
Membru (2005)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
Translating into English could be faster than the other way too Aug 27, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

The contents are more related to art and literature, and some might be political commentaries, I believe.

Therefore, it should be easy for a native Chinese to understand such contents. All that is left is to see how well the translator can paraphrase them in another language.

That could very well be, that they are assuming the majority of people taking the exam to be native-Chinese speakers, therefore making an allowance for the translation speed in the Chinese-to-English direction. IMO, the way the test is structured actually makes it more difficult for a non-native-Chinese speaker to score high because of the quick response required in rendering into good Chinese for the English-to-Chinese portion of the test.

[Edited at 2013-08-27 00:12 GMT]

at least not that much slower than translating into Chinese.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 01:40
din chineză în engleză
+ ...
Being more proficient in one direction than the other Aug 27, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

Translating into English could be faster than the other way too

wherestip wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

The contents are more related to art and literature, and some might be political commentaries, I believe.

Therefore, it should be easy for a native Chinese to understand such contents. All that is left is to see how well the translator can paraphrase them in another language.

That could very well be, that they are assuming the majority of people taking the exam to be native-Chinese speakers, therefore making an allowance for the translation speed in the Chinese-to-English direction. IMO, the way the test is structured actually makes it more difficult for a non-native-Chinese speaker to score high because of the quick response required in rendering into good Chinese for the English-to-Chinese portion of the test.

[Edited at 2013-08-27 00:12 GMT]

at least not that much slower than translating into Chinese.

jyuan,

I never said otherwise. People have different life experiences, so naturally they have advantages in different ways. IMO, which direction of translation is easier varies from person to person.

In case you misunderstood me, I was arguing that the Chinese-to-English portion seems to be easier than the English-to-Chinese portion solely judging by the lesser word count. Of course there are other factors that determine the level of difficulty in either direction, but those are entirely unknown until one actually sees the details of the actual test.

[Edited at 2013-08-28 02:50 GMT]

Renquan Yang
Renquan Yang  Identity Verified
China
Membru (2007)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
来自生物医学专利翻译领域的视角 Sep 3, 2013

就生物医学专利翻译领域而言,借助CAT工具,经验证,如文本略有重复和相似,可以在不太累的情况下实现8小时一万英文。如果是科技论文体的医药专利,8小时6千字英文是可以做到的,达到8千字英文就比较费劲,而手工翻译这种文体,每小时怕只有400字英文了。

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:40
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
这是我见到的最高纪录 Sep 3, 2013

Renquan Yang wrote:

就生物医学专利翻译领域而言,借助CAT工具,经验证,如文本略有重复和相似,可以在不太累的情况下实现8小时一万英文。如果是科技论文体的医药专利,8小时6千字英文是可以做到的,达到8千字英文就比较费劲,而手工翻译这种文体,每小时怕只有400字英文了。

不知还有没有更高的?

[Edited at 2013-09-03 09:36 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
China
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
这个速度可是人事部一级翻译速度的 2 倍 Sep 3, 2013

Renquan Yang wrote:

就生物医学专利翻译领域而言,借助CAT工具,经验证,如文本略有重复和相似,可以在不太累的情况下实现8小时一万英文。

超出了我的想象力!希望 Renquan 兄不是在开玩笑。:-)

Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
并非不可能 Sep 3, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

Renquan Yang wrote:

如果是一直做某个领域的翻译,对术语和常用句式表达已经非常熟悉,考虑重复率,是可以做到的。
我之前做telecom的翻译,也偶尔能做到,不过并不常见。

Jinhang Wang
China
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
学习了 Sep 3, 2013

Yan Yuliang wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

Renquan Yang wrote:

如果是一直做某个领域的翻译,对术语和常用句式表达已经非常熟悉,考虑重复率,是可以做到的。
我之前做telecom的翻译,也偶尔能做到,不过并不常见。

看来真有这样的高速度,呵呵。

[Edited at 2013-09-03 10:52 GMT]

wherestip
Statele Unite
din chineză în engleză
+ ...
Chinese Composition Paper Sep 3, 2013

Here's an idea. I searched for "作文纸", and got a template of the standard Chinese composition paper. It's 23 x 23, which is about 529 characters.

It helps me get a feel for what 400 or 600 Chinese characters amount to. I certainly am not that familiar with it since I don't work on the front-line like most of you do. So it's helpful for me in
... See more

Here's an idea. I searched for "作文纸", and got a template of the standard Chinese composition paper. It's 23 x 23, which is about 529 characters.

It helps me get a feel for what 400 or 600 Chinese characters amount to. I certainly am not that familiar with it since I don't work on the front-line like most of you do. So it's helpful for me in visualizing and calibrating.

I vaguely remember that for the Chinese composition senior-high level entrance exam, you need to write about 3 or 4 pages within a 2-hour period to get a decent score. Of course that is just one of the criteria.
Collapse

wherestip
Statele Unite
din chineză în engleză
+ ...
Hmm Sep 3, 2013

Unless I'm dyslexic, which I'm not, I' count 23 down and 23 across. But it clearly says 23 x 22 at the bottom of the page.

wherestip
Statele Unite
din chineză în engleză
+ ...
20 by 20 Sep 3, 2013

I guess I was wrong about the standardized business. But this seems sparser than what I was used to.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
充分发挥 CAT 工具的作用 Sep 3, 2013

Renquan Yang wrote:

我达不到 Renquan 那样高的速度。不过根据他和很多人的经验,从事自己所熟悉领域的翻译,借助 CAT 工具,而且至少有几个“铁杆”客户源源不断地提供内容类似、重复性强的项目,那将是十分有利的。因为你每年翻译的上百万字,尽管你无法都背(诵)出来,但 CAT 工具都给你记着呢。

The last but not the least, No Trados discount!

[Edited at 2013-09-03 22:00 GMT]

Renquan Yang
China
Membru (2007)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
速度可能更高 Sep 4, 2013

ysun wrote:

Renquan Yang wrote:

我达不到 Renquan 那样高的速度。不过根据他和很多人的经验,从事自己所熟悉领域的翻译,借助 CAT 工具,而且至少有几个“铁杆”客户源源不断地提供内容类似、重复性强的项目,那将是十分有利的。因为你每年翻译的上百万字,尽管你无法都背(诵)出来,但 CAT 工具都给你记着呢。

The last but not the least, No Trados discount!

[Edited at 2013-09-03 22:00 GMT]

“内容类似、重复性强的项目”,则就是业内所称的“系列案”。此时借助CAT工具时,处理速度会更快,8小时12k到13k英文是完全可以达到的。我就曾经遇到过这种案子,有一天的速度达到这个水平 。不过这类系列案往往不会外包,要么翻译公司内部自己留着消化了,要不机构自行按照以前校对过的案子处理了。总之,系列案外包的情况不多。因此,我这里所提及的速度一般是指非系列案。这时,如果案子内部存在相似或相同的句段的比例达到20%(软件可自行分析),则利用工具的情况下,上述翻译速度是可以实现的,并且译文质量可以接受,尽管有点瑕疵,但瑕不掩瑜:)。
目前正在研究如果这种相似程度都不到的情况下,如何借助CAT工具达到类似的高速度。我已经遇见一款工具,阅读其介绍并与其开发团队交流后,感觉这个工具似乎能够达到我想要的那种效果,不过究竟如何,还需要实践验证。
不可否认,计算机的记忆和检索能力是强大的,因此即便译者“无法都背(诵)出来,但 CAT 工具都给你记着”,会在你需要的时候蹦出来。有时候,看着计算机提示出来的自己过去翻译过的译文,感叹如果人工去检索和记忆,无论如何都无法做到这么快捷和迅速。但是,对于计算机给出的参考译文,时刻要保持挑剔的态度,毕竟,以往的译文也可能存在当时未曾发现的问题。然而,从头翻译和在既有基础上翻译的效率不可同日而语。
总之,对于处理技术文件的译员来说,不掌握CAT工具,确实太可惜。

[Edited at 2013-09-04 00:39 GMT]

Renquan Yang
China
Membru (2007)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
不是玩笑 Sep 4, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

Renquan Yang wrote:

不是玩笑,而已经是反复验证过的事实,起码在我这里是如此。这就是现代CAT技术加译者本身积累的手工翻译经验的结果。:-)

Renquan Yang
China
Membru (2007)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
翻译考试不许用CAT Sep 4, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

Renquan Yang wrote:

翻译考试不许用CAT,因此,翻译就是纯手工活,如果难度一般,领域还熟悉,一小时600英文可以做到,如果不熟悉,或偏重于文学、艺术、时政要闻,则速度一般在400字左右咯。我说的速度仅涉及生物医药专利而已,超过这个范围,则难免不适用。

Jinhang Wang
China
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
I 服了U! Sep 4, 2013

Renquan Yang wrote:

“内容类似、重复性强的项目”,则就是业内所称的“系列案”。此时借助CAT工具时,处理速度会更快,8小时12k到13k英文是完全可以达到的。

我做翻译速度比较慢些,我一般做得比较仔细,努力提供最高质量的译文。当然,这只是个理想。

[Edited at 2013-09-04 02:06 GMT]

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

“英译汉速度每小时约600个单词”,各位有何评论?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »