Thread poster: wherestip
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:00
Chinese to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2013

Hey, anyone watch "The Great Gatsby" lately? It was released on Blu-ray 3D in the U.S. this week, so I got a copy as soon as it showed up at Best Buy.

I usually don't like to start a new topic. Why clutter up the forum when you don't have to? Unfortunately we can't pick up where we left off because the previous thread got locked.

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
不容错过 Aug 30, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Hey, anyone watch "The Great Gatsby" lately? It was released on Blu-ray 3D in the U.S. this week, so I got a copy as soon as it showed up at Best Buy.

I usually don't like to start a new topic. Why clutter up the forum when you don't have to? Unfortunately we can't pick up where we left off because the previous thread got locked.

这部电影今天才在北京上映,我一定会抽时间看的。毕竟,前些日子讨论了这么长时间,感觉小说非常精彩。

http://theater.mtime.com/China_Beijing_Haidian/2159/

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The roaring '20s Aug 30, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

这部电影今天才在北京上映,我一定会抽时间看的。毕竟,前些日子讨论了这么长时间,感觉小说非常精彩。

http://theater.mtime.com/China_Beijing_Haidian/2159/

Thanks, J.H.. I see its rating is 8.2, not too bad.

I like the way the movie was remade. Well, it was a little bit cartoonish, for example the way they drove around like madmen - sort of like the Marvel-made movies. And with Paul Rudd's performance in mind, at first I thought the Nick Carraway character might have been miscast. But after watching the movie through, I think Tobey Maguire did an excellent job. The 3D effects were pretty good too.

[Edited at 2013-08-31 14:02 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:00
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
I still prefer Robert and Mia Aug 30, 2013

[quote]wherestip wrote:

[quote]J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

As opposed to Leo Dicarpio and what's-her-face

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The older versions are more true to Fizgerald's novel Aug 30, 2013

Rita Pang wrote:

I still prefer Robert and Mia

As opposed to Leo Dicarpio and what's-her-face

I know what you mean. I like the performance of these actors from the older generation too. But in general, the pace of older movies just lacks the energy and dynamic that draw and keep my attention, not to mention the images are just too grainy for today's large-screen HDTVs.

BTW, I also like the year-2000-A&E version, especially Paul Rudd's portrayal of Nick Carraway, as I mentioned before.

IMO, this remake gives the story a modern-day twist that showcases today's technology in an interesting way. To me it also kind of parallels surrealism in fine arts - sort of like a Picasso. Of course I know practically nothing in that area to talk about it intelligently.

[Edited at 2013-08-31 14:03 GMT]

Domenico Zhou
Domenico Zhou  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
恰好看了一半 Aug 31, 2013

昨晚恰好看了前一半,有点不知所云,看了半天情节主线我还没理清楚。

印象深刻只有莱昂纳多的表演和各种浮华夸张的场景。

好了,今晚继续看另外一半,希望全剧看完不要让人失望啊。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The plot Aug 31, 2013

Domenico Zhou wrote:

That's not the case for me. Of course I knew where the story was going the whole time I was watching it.

Incidentally, that's how I would describe "The Place Beyond the Pines", a DVD also recently released here in the U.S.. The storyline seems kinda disjointed(Ryan Gosling who plays the circus-performer-turn-bank-robber dies halfway through the movie which is a surprise in itself), but it all comes together at the end.

BTW, "Pines" 故事也不错,人情味很重。

[Edited at 2013-08-31 17:15 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
不容错过仍错过 Sep 18, 2013

Domenico Zhou wrote:

印象深刻只有莱昂纳多的表演和各种浮华夸张的场景。

好了,今晚继续看另外一半,希望全剧看完不要让人失望啊。

这部电影是不是在国内反映不够热烈啊,我附近的电影院好像只上映了三四天就下线了。当时比较忙,也没有来得及看。看过朋友的不妨评论一下。

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Read the book first Sep 21, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

This is one of those books which I carry with me religiously whenever I travel. Hard to believe that Fitzgerald was only 28 when he wrote this.

You can miss the movie, but don't miss the book.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
原著一定要读的 Sep 21, 2013

Rita Pang wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

This is one of those books which I carry with me religiously whenever I travel. Hard to believe that Fitzgerald was only 28 when he wrote this.

You can miss the movie, but don't miss the book.

仅从前段时间我们讨论的几句话,我就能感受到这是一部非凡的小说。我已经找到了小说完整的电子版,会抽出时间仔细阅读的。说不定也会动手翻译一部分呢。:-)

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
always, already Sep 23, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote: 不容错过仍错过

'Do you always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it!'

‘He had come a long way to this blue lawn and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him…’

― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

[Edited at 2013-09-24 11:17 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
菲茨杰拉德是深刻的社会和人性观察家 Sep 24, 2013

所以,才能写出文字精妙、思想深刻的伟大小说。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some lines from the movie Sep 24, 2013

J.H.,

Too bad you missed the movie. I was hoping that we could pick up our discussion where we left off.

It actually wasn't that popular a movie, otherwise I'm sure it would have played a lot longer in the theaters where you live.

Here's some lines from the movie that I jotted down. I remember you weren't that convinced of how the author - through the narrator Nick Carraway - really felt about the main character; whether he was more positive than negativ
... See more
J.H.,

Too bad you missed the movie. I was hoping that we could pick up our discussion where we left off.

It actually wasn't that popular a movie, otherwise I'm sure it would have played a lot longer in the theaters where you live.

Here's some lines from the movie that I jotted down. I remember you weren't that convinced of how the author - through the narrator Nick Carraway - really felt about the main character; whether he was more positive than negative, or the other way around; or whether there was sarcasm towards Gatsby in the title name of the book. Of course it's a screen adaptation; so the script is bound to deviate from the novel somewhat(for example, I don't think there was a sanatorium or a psychiatrist in the novel). But the essence of Fitzgerald's sentiment towards the character Gatsby should have remained intact.

Nick : When I came back from New York, I was disgusted …
Doctor : I see, Mr. Carraway.
Nick : Disgusted with everyone, and everything. Only one man was exempt from my disgust.
Doctor : One man? Mr. Carraway?
Nick : Gatsby.
Doctor : Was he a friend of yours?
Nick : He was … the single most hopeful person I've ever met … and am ever likely to meet again.
There was something about him, a sensitivity …
He was like … like one of those machines that register earthquakes 10,000 miles away.
Doctor : Where did you meet him?
Nick : At a party … in New York.

Nick : Jay!
They're a rotten crowd … You're worth the whole damn bunch put together!
Nick (narrate):
I was always glad I said that. It was the only compliment I ever paid him.

Collapse

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
生活一去不返,电影却可以重放 Sep 24, 2013

wherestip wrote:

J.H.,

Here's some lines from the movie that I jotted down. I remember you weren't that convinced of how the author - through the narrator Nick Carraway - really felt about the main character; whether he was more positive than negative, or the other way around; or whether there was sarcasm towards Gatsby in the title name of the book. Of course it's a screen adaptation; so the script is bound to deviate from the novel somewhat(for example, I don't think there was a sanatorium or a psychiatrist in the novel). But the essence of Fitzgerald's sentiment towards the character Gatsby should have remained intact.

Nick : When I came back from New York, I was disgusted …
Doctor : I see, Mr. Carraway.
Nick : Disgusted with everyone, and everything. Only one man was exempt from my disgust.
Doctor : One man? Mr. Carraway?
Nick : Gatsby.
Doctor : Was he a friend of yours?
Nick : He was … the single most hopeful person I've ever met … and am ever likely to meet again.
There was something about him, a sensitivity …
He was like … like one of those machines that register earthquakes 10,000 miles away.
Doctor : Where did you meet him?
Nick : At a party … in New York.

Nick : Jay!
They're a rotten crowd … You're worth the whole damn bunch put together!
Nick (narrate):
I was always glad I said that. It was the only compliment I ever paid him.

Steve,

我以后会购买 DVD 或通过网络看这部电影。

谢谢你把这些对白记录下来。阅读了这些对白,我的确觉得作者并没有讽刺盖茨比的意思,而是颇有同情。不过,在我看来,这也并不意味着盖茨比是伟大的,毕竟,他发家的手法并不正大光明。他是时代洪流中的一分子。但他又与他人有可贵的不同。所以,才会有 He was … the single most hopeful person I've ever met; He was like … like one of those machines that register earthquakes 10,000 miles away.。他对当时的社会也应该是不满意的,他头脑是清醒的,他在追求纯真的生活。

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Great Gatsby - a dreamer

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »