Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:28
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 15, 2008

Hi all,

Sorry for posting in English.

I'm on the market looking for a hyphenation plugin for InDesign CS3, since the built-in (Proximity) dictionary is useless.

I'm aware of two products: InDihyph (from Aextra/ITIP) and SmartHyphen (from Woodwing/TALO)

Do you have any experience of either plugin?
Or other solutions?!?

Thanks a lot for any input!

/Jan

MiaK
MiaK  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Finnish
+ ...
Lingsoft May 15, 2008

Hi, Jan,

I recommend Lingsoft. I haven't used it for InDesign, but they make all the Microsoft proofing tools in Finnish, and I think they are quite good. You can find more information on their home page (Proofing tools -> Generic Proofing Tools). The page is also available in English and Swedish.

Regards,
Mia

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting! May 15, 2008

MiaK wrote:

Hi, Jan,

I recommend Lingsoft. I haven't used it for InDesign, but they make all the Microsoft proofing tools in Finnish, and I think they are quite good. You can find more information on their home page (Proofing tools -> Generic Proofing Tools). The page is also available in English and Swedish.

Regards,
Mia

Thanks Mia, I didn't know about this!
Have you ever heard about the other plugins I mentioned, or is Lingsoft definitely the most used hyphenation in Finland?!

/J

MiaK
MiaK  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Finnish
+ ...
Never heard May 16, 2008

Hi, Jan,

No, I have never heard of the other two. I am using Lingsoft in MS-Office, and I think it's really good, for both hyphenation and proofing.

Another good one is Soikko (free, open-source), but it's only for OpenOffice, so it won't be very useful for InDesign, unless you import the text from open-office with "hard" hyphens or something like that.

If you only need to hyphenate Finnish words very occasionally, you could also try the Finhyph demo on the
... See more
Hi, Jan,

No, I have never heard of the other two. I am using Lingsoft in MS-Office, and I think it's really good, for both hyphenation and proofing.

Another good one is Soikko (free, open-source), but it's only for OpenOffice, so it won't be very useful for InDesign, unless you import the text from open-office with "hard" hyphens or something like that.

If you only need to hyphenate Finnish words very occasionally, you could also try the Finhyph demo on the Lingsoft home page. (I'm not sure if these posts can include links, so I am not including a link, but you can find it by searching "finhyph" in Google).

Regards,
Mia
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Best Finnish hyphenation for InDesign?

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »