Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:40
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We don't have any presenters as yet. Aug 11, 2008

Hi Kate
Once somebody has volunteered, I guess it will depend how much time and effort they're willing and able to invest. I'd be already grateful, if somebody agreed to talk briefly about a topic of their choice.

Thanks
Katharina

Kate Warren wrote:

Hi

Thanks so much for organising this. I think it's a great idea.

If it's not too much to ask, could presenters bring handouts?

Looking forward to it...

Kate

Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We don't have any presenters as yet! Aug 12, 2008

Hi Elisa
Once somebody has volunteered and they're prepared to do handouts at all, we might consider this However, nobody has stepped forward so far, so I don't want to raise expectations... We might end up with a pure networking event. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks
Katharina

Elisa Noetinger wrote:

Hello !

Thanks to all involved for organising this !! I look forward to the next Stammtisch

I thought that those who are doing presentations might want to send their presentations in advance for each of us to print ourselves? Just to avoid doing photocopies

Elisa

United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The last powwow and more to come in the future Sep 12, 2008

Thanks again to Peter Linton, who did a great presentation on handling PDF files and moderated the discussion at the last powwow: http://www.proz.com/powwow_report/2033.

The next event - http://www.proz.com/powwow/2161, is going to be pure networking again, but please let me know, if you're in
... See more
Thanks again to Peter Linton, who did a great presentation on handling PDF files and moderated the discussion at the last powwow: http://www.proz.com/powwow_report/2033.

The next event - http://www.proz.com/powwow/2161, is going to be pure networking again, but please let me know, if you're interested in presenting or moderating a discussion on a topic of your choice in the future. We might be able to use the BBC Bush House again, which I think works very well for your purposes. I'm not sure about the exact dates at this stage. Apart from the already suggested topics, I'm interested to hear from Trados experts, who would be willing to present a quick overview of the tool's main features. It would be by no means an in depth, hands-on workshop, but rather a very generic presentation "where to start" aimed at beginners. Please let me know, if you are willing to volunteer!

I hope to see many of you at the next powwow!

Katharina
Collapse

Stanislaw Kulikowski
Stanislaw Kulikowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:40
English to Polish
+ ...
Trados presentation Sep 24, 2008

I am far from considering myself an expert but I have been using Trados for a few years now and bits and pieces of knowledge sipped through to my head. I could say few words but that would not be presenting tip of the iceberg knowing the whole giant but showing the tip and wondering what is under water. Some practical issues, some pros and cons. Few tricks. For sure I wouldn't be able to answer detailed technical questions.

Is this what is expected?

Stan

United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados presentation Sep 25, 2008

Hi Stan
Yes - what you're suggesting sounds perfect for our purposes. I'll check with Fouad when we can have the BBC Bush House again. I was thinking Saturday, 25 October, if you are free?

Katharina

Stanislaw Kulikowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Trados on October 25 Sep 25, 2008

Oh, I thought you needed sombody for this Saturday...
I won't be able to come on 25 Oct. So, maybe one of the powwows to follow...

Stan

Stanislaw Kulikowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Trados at next powwow Sep 26, 2008

It seems that I will be able to come to the next one, after all. So, Katharina, if you keep it in mind when looking for the venue...

Stan

United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Next (Xmas!) powwow in Covent Garden on Saturday, 13 December Nov 13, 2008

Hello
As this is the last powwow of the year and keeping up with the tradition, our next powwow will have a Christmas theme. If you want to find out more, and fancy a pressie, please visit the powwow page: http://www.proz.com/powwow/2357

See you there!
Katharina

[Edited at 2008-11-13 10:44]

United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ideas for future powwows Feb 3, 2009

Hello
We had a popular powwow and Trados presentation last Saturday - thanks again to Stan Kulikowski for volunteering. There is another powwow planned for Saturday, 28 February - the suggested topic is ProZ profiles and how to use them to one's advantage. More information to follow shortly. I've just received a further suggestion for the March powwow on 28 March. The suggested topic is all business aspects of freelancing, such as
setting up a translation business, taxation, invoicin
... See more
Hello
We had a popular powwow and Trados presentation last Saturday - thanks again to Stan Kulikowski for volunteering. There is another powwow planned for Saturday, 28 February - the suggested topic is ProZ profiles and how to use them to one's advantage. More information to follow shortly. I've just received a further suggestion for the March powwow on 28 March. The suggested topic is all business aspects of freelancing, such as
setting up a translation business, taxation, invoicing, insurance etc. The meeting is to be aimed at beginners. Please let me know, if you would like to volunteer!

Thanks
Katharina
Collapse

United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Next powwow announced Feb 19, 2009

Hello
Please visit the following link to find out more about the forthcoming powwow: http://www.proz.com/powwow/2512

Thanks
Katharina

United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excel for translators on 28 March in Covent Garden Mar 16, 2009

Hello
Please visit the following page to find out more about the forthcoming powwow: http://www.proz.com/powwow/2546.

See you there!
Katharina

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The London Stammtisch - call for ideas

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »