Anna Ryden (X)
Anna Ryden (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:25
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2008

from today's job:

"With a nnnn:1 contrast ratio and a complete range of connectors, the xxx and yyy projectors offer maximized entertainment in all lightning conditions, making them perfect for boardrooms."

so now we definitely know what they're up to!

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:25
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Marketing text? What pitfall? Mar 27, 2008

This little technical text fragment describes the contrast ratio (a measure of a display system, defined as the ratio of the luminosity of the brightest color (white) to that of the darkest color (black) that the system is capable of producing). We are also talking about a system of multiple projectors (very common in MultiMedia-presentations) which of course require a range of connectors to make the entire stuff work.

And yes, such an arrangement of projectors will allow perfect b
... See more
This little technical text fragment describes the contrast ratio (a measure of a display system, defined as the ratio of the luminosity of the brightest color (white) to that of the darkest color (black) that the system is capable of producing). We are also talking about a system of multiple projectors (very common in MultiMedia-presentations) which of course require a range of connectors to make the entire stuff work.

And yes, such an arrangement of projectors will allow perfect brilliance, if in daylight or when the conference room is dark.

What's so funny with that?

Edit: Addendum.

Lightning is a typo. Other than that this looks rather like a KudoZ-question. Nothing funny with that. In good old times we used up to 9 projectors for MultiMedia-presentations on stage. That was before you could make the splits easily with some software...

[Edited at 2008-03-27 14:05]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
lightning conditions? Mar 27, 2008

Presumably those board members are Thor, Zeus and their mates getting down to business...

[Edited at 2008-03-27 14:18]

Anna Ryden (X)
Anna Ryden (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
autopilot? Mar 27, 2008

It's usually
"maximized entertainment in all lightning conditions, making them perfect for home entertainment"

or maybe
"maximized image quality in all lightning conditions, making them perfect for boardrooms"

entertainment in boardrooms? I honestly think it's a mistake, but of course, it might be intentional. It's just that sometimes I have the impression they write these things very fast, with the autopilot on.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:25
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Sometimes specific terms look funny Mar 27, 2008

To insiders, they are simply common.

I just asked my sleepy husband who just crawled out of bed: "what is a board room?," "The conference room of a large corporation," he said. Before coffee.

I still don't get the pun, if there is any.

Edit: More input.

"Entertainment" is simply a term that describes any audio-visual means to enhance the impact of a marketing presentation, for example.

Still don't see the fun part. Maybe
... See more
To insiders, they are simply common.

I just asked my sleepy husband who just crawled out of bed: "what is a board room?," "The conference room of a large corporation," he said. Before coffee.

I still don't get the pun, if there is any.

Edit: More input.

"Entertainment" is simply a term that describes any audio-visual means to enhance the impact of a marketing presentation, for example.

Still don't see the fun part. Maybe I am boring.

[Edited at 2008-03-27 14:40]
Collapse

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
yawn, yawn Mar 27, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

And yes, such an arrangement of projectors will allow perfect brilliance, if in daylight or when the conference room is dark.

What's so funny with that?

Edit: Addendum.

Lightning is a typo. Other than that this looks rather like a KudoZ-question. Nothing funny with that. In good old times we used up to 9 projectors for MultiMedia-presentations on stage. That was before you could make the splits easily with some software...

[Edited at 2008-03-27 14:05]

I've managed to live a long life fairly successfully without knowing these things - why are you boring me with them now?

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:25
English to Hungarian
+ ...
yawn, yawn Apr 1, 2008

lexical wrote:
I've managed to live a long life fairly successfully without knowing these things - why are you boring me with them now?

Then why are you reading them?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

marketing language pitfalls

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »