Off topic: SDL machine translating their user interfaces?
Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:47
English to French
+ ...
Apr 11, 2008

I had a moment today. I was using SDL MultiTerm 2007. I was editing an entry and deleted the contents of an entire field. An advisory was displayed: Tous les éléments obligatoires doivent être renseignés. This is French for: All mandatory fields must be informed. Well, I would be glad to speak to those fields in person to inform them of whatever information they need - but they are not real and so I can't inform them. Anybody has a solution?

See more
I had a moment today. I was using SDL MultiTerm 2007. I was editing an entry and deleted the contents of an entire field. An advisory was displayed: Tous les éléments obligatoires doivent être renseignés. This is French for: All mandatory fields must be informed. Well, I would be glad to speak to those fields in person to inform them of whatever information they need - but they are not real and so I can't inform them. Anybody has a solution?

P.S.: I believe the term used in the original, English interface was "fill in" - the MT engine just could not make the difference between filling someone in on something (informing someone) and filling in a field in a form (entering content in a container). The only thing I'd still need to figure out is how can a major LSP make such a stupid error in a user interface - especially since they brag about providing the bestest interface translations to their clients...
Collapse

Christiane Lalonde
Christiane Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
L'usage est admis Apr 12, 2008

"Renseigner un champ" est une expression que l'on rencontre fréquemment et qui est admise. Il est vrai qu'on la rencontre moins souvent au Québec qu'en France.
Elle est souvent utilisée dans des domaines comme la documentation.

Andrew Levine
Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Agree with Christiane Apr 12, 2008

I can confirm that "renseigner les champs" is very commonly used with respect to text fields in software. I see it in my source texts all the time.

[Edited at 2008-04-12 07:59]

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:47
English to French
+ ...
usage fréquent en "français de France" Apr 12, 2008

L'expression se trouve dans de nombreux formulaires de saisie.

Mais il est vrai que la traduction en anglais n'est certainement pas "inform" !

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It could be either or Apr 12, 2008

Well, this is news to me. I guess this only goes to show that for translations for the Quebec market, it is best to use the services of a Canadian French translator, and for translations for the European market, it is best to use a French translator.

Still, the expression to fill in is a near perfect match for renseigner. I wonder if my suspicions of MT use in this case may actually be right. We may never
... See more
Well, this is news to me. I guess this only goes to show that for translations for the Quebec market, it is best to use the services of a Canadian French translator, and for translations for the European market, it is best to use a French translator.

Still, the expression to fill in is a near perfect match for renseigner. I wonder if my suspicions of MT use in this case may actually be right. We may never know...

Je vais me coucher moins niaiseuse ce soir!

Edit: I still wonder why I got this error message in French. I have an English copy of Windows, all my software (including MultiTerm) is configured for English and I have made sure to ban French from my computer except for my translations. Why am I getting the message in French? And why do certain websites display in French automatically when I log into them (an example is microsoft.com)? It's as if people outside of Quebec assume that everybody speaks French here, which is far from the truth. I appreciate sites and software that were localized, but I don't like the fact that for the most part, French is the default language, and in some cases, there is no way to switch to English. I have nothing against French - I just prefer the original version to the translated one. Go figure...

[Edited at 2008-04-12 16:35]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL machine translating their user interfaces?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »