Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
You Know a Flood of Work is Coming When....
Thread poster: Juliana Brown
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:40
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Strongly agree! May 25, 2008

PRen wrote:

Hang in there Juliana - the kids eventually grow up and leave home!!

I've been there, and it ain't pretty. Take on what you can, and remember, they're only little for such a short time. Soon they'll be surly and uncommunicative teenagers and you'll have lots of time to translate.

Courage!

Children grow up too quickly!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
... you start getting "Remember me?" e-mails May 25, 2008

Okay, now and then you bid for a large job and never hear about that client for months. Were my rates too high? Though it was highly specialized work and quality was emphasized, they must have found someone in the Far East to do it cheaper. So you write these off your mind.

Suddenly, out of the blue, you get a "Remember me?" e-mail from one of these people, saying that the project has finally been approved, and that your offer has been accepted. They just want to confi
... See more
Okay, now and then you bid for a large job and never hear about that client for months. Were my rates too high? Though it was highly specialized work and quality was emphasized, they must have found someone in the Far East to do it cheaper. So you write these off your mind.

Suddenly, out of the blue, you get a "Remember me?" e-mail from one of these people, saying that the project has finally been approved, and that your offer has been accepted. They just want to confirm your e-mail address to send you the files, expect you to start at once, and deliver in 4 weeks as promised. You had offered 4 weeks at a time you had absolutely nothing scheduled for them.

Murphy's Law determines that as soon as you reschedule everything to work some extra hours and finish that job in 4 weeks, another "Remember me?" from a bid you sent months after or before that one will come up.

Chances are that the third "Remember me?" client will be quite sad after getting a "no", or "only later" from you.

Right now, I'm doing one "Remember me?", and amazingly, I happen to know that there are two others lurking, just about ready to pop in front of me.
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:40
English to Arabic
+ ...
Last weekend... May 25, 2008

I get a rush 6,000-word job on Friday afternoon, to be delivered on Monday lunchtime.

Just then, my husband rings from work to tell me that he's made an order for zillions of bricks and cement to be delivered to our doorstep this evening, so this weekend we can finally get to work on those terrace walls on our garden slope. "You don't have any work lined up for this weekend, do you?" "Um, not much, I'm sure I'll manage to do that in the evenings"...
See more
I get a rush 6,000-word job on Friday afternoon, to be delivered on Monday lunchtime.

Just then, my husband rings from work to tell me that he's made an order for zillions of bricks and cement to be delivered to our doorstep this evening, so this weekend we can finally get to work on those terrace walls on our garden slope. "You don't have any work lined up for this weekend, do you?" "Um, not much, I'm sure I'll manage to do that in the evenings"

Needless to say, the "evenings" turned into late nights. I was only saved by Trados, as the document contained an above average number of repetitions.
Collapse

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:40
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I KNOW!!! It's always the way... May 26, 2008

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Suddenly, out of the blue, you get a "Remember me?" e-mail from one of these people, saying that the project has finally been approved, and that your offer has been accepted. They just want to confirm your e-mail address to send you the files, expect you to start at once, and deliver in 4 weeks as promised. You had offered 4 weeks at a time you had absolutely nothing scheduled for them.

Murphy's Law determines that as soon as you reschedule everything to work some extra hours and finish that job in 4 weeks, another "Remember me?" from a bid you sent months after or before that one will come up.

Chances are that the third "Remember me?" client will be quite sad after getting a "no", or "only later" from you.

Two of my craziest jobs for the next week are "Remember Me" jobs...and inevitably they are really juicy, decent paying, interesting texts which one is loathe to turn down (also, I am incapable of saying no, even when swamped).

Nesrin- I feel for you. Instead of working this afternoon I planted blueberry bushes for my kids in the garden...Another late night is coming.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

You Know a Flood of Work is Coming When....

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »