Off topic: fremme neppa venette - Uncovered!
Thread poster: Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:24
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 16, 2002

I think most people on here have seen (at some point) \"fremme neppa venette\" as a translation question or explanation question in English (monolingual).

I was curious about the various \"theories\" going around, and so I decided to convince myself of this mystery once and for all.

So what I did was record \"bang down flip it and reverse it\" into a WAV file on my computer. Using a sound editor, I used a reverse function, which puts the file in a form
... See more
I think most people on here have seen (at some point) \"fremme neppa venette\" as a translation question or explanation question in English (monolingual).

I was curious about the various \"theories\" going around, and so I decided to convince myself of this mystery once and for all.

So what I did was record \"bang down flip it and reverse it\" into a WAV file on my computer. Using a sound editor, I used a reverse function, which puts the file in a form to play backwards. And totally unexpectedly, a gobbled up wash of words came out sounding like \"it\'s yerr fremma neppa venn yet\".

Now, considering the accents of a lot of people in the United States, \"yerr\" sounds like the way many pronounce the word \"your\". And I\'m sure that \"venette\" (spanish \"n\") in the lyrics is pronounced as \"venn yet\". Hence, \"it\'s your fremme neppa venette\"

Now, I took courses in digital signal processing and aural linguistics at my university, and would have never expected such a thing to come out like that. And as skeptical as I am, I still wasn\'t convinced that this was possible. So what I did this time was record \"it\'s yerr fremma neppa venn yet\" on my computer, and then reversed that. Shockingly enough, a washed up stream of words came out sounding like \"bang down flip it and reverse it\".

Amazing!!!

I know that there are probably many skeptics who won\'t believe me until they do it themselves, so I encourage those of you who are curious to try it out for yourselves. It\'s the only way to uncover the mystery and genius of Missy Elliot in her ultra hillarious mix \"Work It\".
Collapse

Alexandru Pojoga
Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 02:24
Japanese to English
+ ...
Unbelievable Dec 16, 2002

It was a brilliant idea. I suspect the spooky \"garbled\" speech in \"Twin Peaks\" was done using the same technique.

I wanted to try this out on my own but my mike\'s broke...

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:24
Russian to English
+ ...
genius Dec 17, 2002

... I think that is not overstating it.

Dan

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:24
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
You've done magic, crumpler... Dec 18, 2002

...though I was entirely sure from the very first time I was listening to \"Work It\" that the \'fremme neppa venette\' bit must have been recorded in reverse mode... But, finally, you were able to shed light on this mystery.

Steffen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

fremme neppa venette - Uncovered!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »