Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2]
Poll: How are your rates compared to the average in your language pair(s)?
Auteur du fil: ProZ.com Staff
Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 19:35
Membre (2004)
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
Average for my country Oct 24, 2011

My rates when working for agencies are pretty close to the U.S. national average indicated in the last ATA survey of rates.

My rate for direct clients is higher because, in that context, I'm carrying out a lot of the tasks that an agency would otherwise perform as well as assuming the risk that a client might not pay. Fortunately, I vet my clients pretty carefully. To the best of my recollection, I've never had a non-payment problem.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:35
I am not average. Oct 24, 2011

Why would I compare myself - or my rates - (or my work, for that matter) to average anything?

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 00:35
espagnol vers anglais
Average rates on Proz.com Oct 24, 2011

Simon Bruni wrote:

Nikki Graham wrote:

as I don't know what the average rates are

The averages of the rates posted by Proz users can be viewed here:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view

Thanks, Simon, I had forgotten about this tool

Not sure how faithfully they reflect the actual rates we obtain though!

Neither am I!

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
anglais vers français
I don't know Oct 24, 2011

But I suppose they are average. Still, most agencies say they are too high. But they want to pay peanuts, and I'm not asking for an outrageous rate IMO.

Vesna Maširević
Vesna Maširević  Identity Verified
Serbie
Local time: 01:35
Membre (2011)
anglais vers serbe
+ ...
Average Rates Oct 24, 2011

I also sincerely doubt that the so called "average rates" on Proz have anything to do with the actual situation!

In fact, in my language pairs, they seem much higher than what is actually going on behind the scenes and it is totally beyond my understanding why would anyone (much less the whole group of people) want to deviate the averages so much that the data becomes useless. It's not like it deceives anyone nor does it change the actual situation anyway!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brésil
Local time: 20:35
anglais vers portugais
+ ...
In memoriam
They must be far above... Oct 24, 2011

... if I see such a large quantity of job offers with rates that I consider "despicable", especially on Translation Directory. The "average" most likely includes an overwhelming number of translators (?) who are eagerly taking these jobs, and doing them at these rates.

Bertrand Malingrey
Bertrand Malingrey  Identity Verified
États-Unis
anglais vers français
+ ...
rates don't matter Oct 24, 2011

so instead..how's your income compared to the average income in your country ?

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
Chine
So-called average rates on Proz Oct 26, 2011

The so-called average rates for my language pair on Proz are about 10 cents per source word. However, as I was negotiating rates with an agency in UK lately, I was informed:

Dear Ms Tiede,

Thank you very much for your reply and for sending me your CV and information on your rates. We are very interested in working with you but we are just wondering if you would be able to negotiate the rate you are willing to charge for your translations. The translators we have regis
... See more
The so-called average rates for my language pair on Proz are about 10 cents per source word. However, as I was negotiating rates with an agency in UK lately, I was informed:

Dear Ms Tiede,

Thank you very much for your reply and for sending me your CV and information on your rates. We are very interested in working with you but we are just wondering if you would be able to negotiate the rate you are willing to charge for your translations. The translators we have registered with your language pairs generally charge between 0.06 and 0.08 EUR per source word and unfortunately, we would only be in a position to offer you work if it was possible for you to lower your rate to fall in line with this…

Simon Bruni wrote:

Nikki Graham wrote:

as I don't know what the average rates are

The averages of the rates posted by Proz users can be viewed here:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view

Not sure how faithfully they reflect the actual rates we obtain though!
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brésil
Local time: 20:35
anglais vers portugais
+ ...
In memoriam
The whole story Oct 26, 2011

Bin Tiede wrote:

Dear Ms Tiede,

Thank you very much for your reply and for sending me your CV and information on your rates. We are very interested in working with you but we are just wondering if you would be able to negotiate the rate you are willing to charge for your translations. The translators we have registered with your language pairs generally charge between 0.06 and 0.08 EUR per source word and unfortunately, we would only be in a position to offer you work if it was possible for you to lower your rate to fall in line with this…

Quite possibly you cater to different markets. This UK agency should be serving end-clients below yours regarding several criteria. Used Lada buyers won't go shopping for BMWs, and vice-versa. I have spelled it out to cover the entire scale in #4 at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/save_money.html .

The problem with average rates on Proz is that they might be outdated, while the economy worldwide is having its ups and downs. If I were running Proz, I'd give some incentive (kudoz, browniz, doughnuts, whatever) to translators who updated them, say, twice a year (even if it were just to confirm the existing data), so this info would be more reliable.

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Modérateur(s) de ce forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How are your rates compared to the average in your language pair(s)?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »