Possible scam
Thread poster: Barry Appleby
johanne chenail (X)
johanne chenail (X)
Canada
Local time: 19:06
English to French
Willy Dubber strikes again Feb 3, 2012

I received a request for translation from that Willy Dubber too and it looks the same as what you received. He originaly contacted me through Translationzone.com (the SDL site) from a yahoo.com address and he got my autoresponse as to my immediate non availability. So he came back with his request for translation from English to French.

Hello,

Thanks for your respon... See more
I received a request for translation from that Willy Dubber too and it looks the same as what you received. He originaly contacted me through Translationzone.com (the SDL site) from a yahoo.com address and he got my autoresponse as to my immediate non availability. So he came back with his request for translation from English to French.

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I am looking for a translator to work on the pair stated for the new project that I am working on. I attached a part of the project, just want you to have an understanding of what we are about to do.

I am a private investor, I work on short time businesses.

My address is ..
14, Forest Field,
Nottingham
Uk

Now, I guess you have an idea of whom you about to deal with, attached is a part of the document. The delivery date is negotiable but must be before April 20th 2012. The total number of words are ... 19784 words. So, the project is not too big for the time range given, that is because I plan ahead of time.

++ Kindly state your readiness to translate the document Your best price
++ should be stated and total calculations Your contact phone Your terms
++ of payment?

I hope we can come to term for the success of this project.

Best Regards

As a general rule, I VERY SELDOM work for individual people as, from my experience, many of them are scams. I much prefer to work with agencies.
It took me about only 5 minutes to find out about this one from looking on the net and on this forum. Thanks Proz.

Best regards
Johanne
Collapse

Jean-Gabriel Piette
Jean-Gabriel Piette  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Got it today too Feb 3, 2012

I got suspicious, and thank to you all, I will reject the offer... Unless he abides by my terms, which are to be paid in full before even having a look at the file... The mail does not ask anymore for personal info but payment info, which means paypal in my case and my country of residence... If paypal kicks in, I'll do it and we'll get rid of that dummy... If it raises a flag, no way

Line Merrette
Line Merrette  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
He contacted me too Feb 3, 2012

He used a Yahoo address.

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 10:25 PM
To: XXXXX
Subject: Directory contact form www.translationzone.com

Directory contact form Directory

Will
... See more
He used a Yahoo address.

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 10:25 PM
To: XXXXX
Subject: Directory contact form www.translationzone.com

Directory contact form Directory

Will you be available for a English-French translation? Please get back ASAP

~~~~~~~

The absence of politeness, street address and signature is very telling.

I simply replied "I am sorry, I am not available".

He sent me another email a few minutes ago:

~~~~~~~

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I am looking for a translator to work on the pair stated for the new project that I am working on. I attached a part of the project, just want you to have an understanding of what we are about to do.

I am a private investor, I work on short time businesses.

My address is ..
14, Forest Field,
Nottingham
Uk

Now, I guess you have an idea of whom you about to deal with, attached is a part of the document. The delivery date is negotiable but must be before April 20th 2012. The total number of words are ... 19784 words. So, the project is not too big for the time range given, that is because I plan ahead of time.

++ Kindly state your readiness to translate the document Your best price
++ should be stated and total calculations Your contact phone Your terms
++ of payment?

I hope we can come to term for the success of this project.

Note that I'm sending you this details because I want you after going through your profile and I'm sure you will be chanced before the deadline

Best Regards

~~~~~~

You notice the absence of postal code.

His document deals with "natural products", which, as we all know, are a scam.
Collapse

Isabelle Berquin
Isabelle Berquin  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Not worth the risk Feb 5, 2012

I would not bother to answer an email that I know or strongly suspect to be a scam, it just confirms that the email is working and can lead to more scams or, at the very least, more emails insisting that you take the job.

I would also not risk opening any attachments (they could have viruses/worms etc) and certainly not accept any payments in any form. Money laundering, payment cancellation or identity theft are all possible, so it's definitely not worth the risk.

Pleas
... See more
I would not bother to answer an email that I know or strongly suspect to be a scam, it just confirms that the email is working and can lead to more scams or, at the very least, more emails insisting that you take the job.

I would also not risk opening any attachments (they could have viruses/worms etc) and certainly not accept any payments in any form. Money laundering, payment cancellation or identity theft are all possible, so it's definitely not worth the risk.

Please read the info posted here for more information: http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Detecting_and_reacting_to_false_job_offers_and_other_scams
Collapse

Jean-Gabriel Piette
Jean-Gabriel Piette  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
IP address Feb 6, 2012

Did anyone bother to check the IP address of the mailer? Mine was from Lagos, Nigeria... Which equals to me as waving a gigantic red (or black with the skull&crossed bones sign) flag... the dude out there tried to invent an history about his client wanting to pay with a check... I replied that it was paypal or without me, and it is only after having hit the send button that I realized... woah, wait! his client? wasn't it supposed to be himself wanting to have his opus translated? I'm out... See more
Did anyone bother to check the IP address of the mailer? Mine was from Lagos, Nigeria... Which equals to me as waving a gigantic red (or black with the skull&crossed bones sign) flag... the dude out there tried to invent an history about his client wanting to pay with a check... I replied that it was paypal or without me, and it is only after having hit the send button that I realized... woah, wait! his client? wasn't it supposed to be himself wanting to have his opus translated? I'm out of it and presented the e-mail address to my very friendly spambuster... ciao bye!Collapse

kim pham
kim pham  Identity Verified
English to French
Willy Dubber Feb 25, 2013

It seems that Willy Dubber is back...
He contacted me the exact same way as you described.
Thanks for posting, that's really helpful.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »