My yahoo email account has been invaded.
Thread poster: Jing Nie
Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 04:06
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 6, 2012

If you received an email from my yahoo email as below. Please do not click the link in it. I just found that my yahoo email have been invaded by someone and use as scam sender. Although I changed my password now , but these scams have been sent to my 1000+ friends ,colleagues . Sorry for inconvenience.

Scam as below:
===============
Hi Friend.
debt collectors are so annoying this definitely took me by surprise noth
... See more
If you received an email from my yahoo email as below. Please do not click the link in it. I just found that my yahoo email have been invaded by someone and use as scam sender. Although I changed my password now , but these scams have been sent to my 1000+ friends ,colleagues . Sorry for inconvenience.

Scam as below:
===============
Hi Friend.
debt collectors are so annoying this definitely took me by surprise nothing seemed to work for me
http://cherub.cba.pl/newsjournal/23AndrewBrown/ this put me in the lap of luxury
you are definitely cut out for this
Collapse

Shiya Luo
Shiya Luo  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
Same experience with Yahoo Jun 6, 2012

I had the same experience. Compared to Google's Gmail, Yahoo's mail service has seen its days.

Switched my professional email to Google, I haven't had such problems ever since. The scams sent to me have dramatically decreased as well. In fact, I have only gotten a handful of them in the past couple of years or so.
Funny that I used to think that all email services were created equal.

Linh Hoang
Linh Hoang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 03:06
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
I've received such scam emails from my friends Jun 7, 2012

I've received several scam emails from my friends' account. Luckily, I'm aware of those and never click on these links. I put them into the Trash or report Spam. Agree with Shiya that using Gmail is better than Yahoo in this regard. I use my Yahoo account just for instant message besides skype.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:06
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The Golden Rule Jun 7, 2012

Anything that starts out with Hi, Friend, Hello, Dear etc. should be handled with caution - even if it comes from a friend, colleague of client.

The "Golden Rule" is; anything that you receive unsolicitedly and that contains links, warnings about your bank account, request for confirmation of password etc. should be delted after the IP address has been blocked.

"Funny that I used to think that all email services were created equal."

They are because sooner
... See more
Anything that starts out with Hi, Friend, Hello, Dear etc. should be handled with caution - even if it comes from a friend, colleague of client.

The "Golden Rule" is; anything that you receive unsolicitedly and that contains links, warnings about your bank account, request for confirmation of password etc. should be delted after the IP address has been blocked.

"Funny that I used to think that all email services were created equal."

They are because sooner or later the scammers will find and abuse it.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 22:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very common lately Jun 7, 2012

One of my yahoo account has been similarly hacked recently. I've notified all my contacts to ignore emails from it.

Linkedin announced a similar (password) hacking issue yesterday.

[Edited at 2012-06-07 06:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My yahoo email account has been invaded.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »