Gary Raymond Bokobza
Gary Raymond Bokobza
Spain
Local time: 18:46
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2013

As a translation agency, we are being sent dozens of emails every day with CVs from translators. However, I don't think these are being sent by the translators themselves. These emails are signed with a name, but NEVER include other information such as phone number, address, etc.
These emails are ALWAYS sent to "undisclosed-recipients" and 90% of them come from hotmail addresses. We have contacted over 20 other translation agencies and have reached an agreement to directly enter each one o
... See more
As a translation agency, we are being sent dozens of emails every day with CVs from translators. However, I don't think these are being sent by the translators themselves. These emails are signed with a name, but NEVER include other information such as phone number, address, etc.
These emails are ALWAYS sent to "undisclosed-recipients" and 90% of them come from hotmail addresses. We have contacted over 20 other translation agencies and have reached an agreement to directly enter each one of these email addresses into our list of "spam emails". So if anyone that reads this has paid a company to send all these emails, you should know that you are loosing a lot of potential clients.
Is anyone else being sent all these emails? If so, we suggest that you do the same as us.

Gary Raymond Bokobza, CEO Garboktrans
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Well known issue Mar 23, 2013

Please take a look at the stick thread:
http://www.proz.com/topic/230462

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
And this article: Mar 23, 2013

http://www.wordyrama.com/2013/03/22/re-for-translators-sake/

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Straight to the point! Mar 23, 2013

Thank you, Jeff, for sharing it.

I also keep receiving emails sent to undisclosed recipients, and addressing me in an impersonal way. The senders seem to believe that because they can address me in German they're translators, offering their services to me in what I assume to be German, a mixture of various dialects. Since it, in somes cases, requires a lot of "imagination" to find out what the sender wants, I cannot help but wonder about the sky-rocketing amounts their clients might have to invest in proofreading and/or editing. Since I'm not an agency I have no jobs to "outsource".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being sent dozens of emails daily from translators

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »