Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:36
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
May 7, 2013

Dear Colleagues,

on May 2nd I received an email via ProZ.com Connect. And rececking it today, I discovered that it had been sent to 100 service providers. That, within itself, is not a problem. However, when I went to their website, all I could see was subtitling equipment for sale.

Sent: 01:42 May 2, 2013
Subject: English to German Subtitling
To:
(100 recipients; 67
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

on May 2nd I received an email via ProZ.com Connect. And rececking it today, I discovered that it had been sent to 100 service providers. That, within itself, is not a problem. However, when I went to their website, all I could see was subtitling equipment for sale.

Sent: 01:42 May 2, 2013
Subject: English to German Subtitling
To:
(100 recipients; 67 read, 0 replied. Show details)
Dear Translator,
XXXX is a new platform that brings Hollywood-quality production to the YouTube and web video communities. It offers a marketplace where you can hire talent, find jobs, and access tools.

We are launching our beta at the Google I/O conference on May 15, 2013. While our marketplace will cover all aspects of video production, we are spotlighting our subtitling and translation experts and tools. Subtitling is in huge demand in web video and a growing opportunity for translators like you.

Prior to launch we are inviting a select group of professional translators to be part of XXXX. It’s free and easy to sign up for a beta invite. You can then create your profile or import it from Linkedin.

XXXX is still in beta so we thank you in advance for reporting any issues. If you have any further questions, please email us at [email protected]. We look forward to having join our site and our Google + community

Join:
www.XXXX.com (click on "Get Started")
Join our G+ community - http:/XXXX

The team @ XXXXX

Not wanting to jump to any conclusions in regards to a, perhaps, serious offer, I sent them an email that same day.

Hi,

thank you for your collaboration request.

I've checked your site, however, all I could see were the tools/software
you have on the market. My question, would I be expected to buy
them in case I would join you as a subtitle translator?

Your earliest reply will be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Thayenga

Needless to say that I am one of those "0 replies".

Quite frankly, it did surprise me that the JobsConnect platform was used as a market place to sell third party software.

Beware of this type of vendors.

Regards,

Thayenga
Collapse

János Untener
János Untener  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2010)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
ad May 7, 2013

I also received this message and quickly realised that this is not a job offer,
but an (intentionally?) misplaced advertisement.
Who knows...
Just delete the e-mail and don't worry about it.

U

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Did you report it? May 7, 2013

Thayenga wrote:

Quite frankly, it did surprise me that the JobsConnect platform was used as a market place to sell third party software.

Indeed — and I assume you have reported this abuse to site staff via a support ticket?

Wishing everyone safe, spam- and scam-free surfing!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed May 8, 2013

Thank you for your comments.

@ Tony.. the support request has just been submitted.

Have a safe, busy and, above all, scam free day.

Best,

Thayenga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could this be a SCAM?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »