BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:37
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thx Recep Oct 16, 2014

Hello, Recep.

Yes, there are a few resources for blacklists on the Net and translator-scammer.com is probably the best one.

Again, I think this is a great, useful effort and a first step, but I am convinced it will not cure the problem.

It is not like the scammer put any value on any of their email addresses. It is not an asset, something that has to work for long or requires a lot of effort to set up. These addresses are as disposable as paper tissues. A b
... See more
Hello, Recep.

Yes, there are a few resources for blacklists on the Net and translator-scammer.com is probably the best one.

Again, I think this is a great, useful effort and a first step, but I am convinced it will not cure the problem.

It is not like the scammer put any value on any of their email addresses. It is not an asset, something that has to work for long or requires a lot of effort to set up. These addresses are as disposable as paper tissues. A blacklist would work better if 1/ creating a spoofed address was a complex or costly process 2/ there was a limited number of addresses available and you could eventually cull all the bad ones. Alas, ...

Also, anyone who has received a few of these scam emails can tell a fake (or at least have alarm bells ringing immediately) without having to check the address against a whitelist/blacklist. Address format is always the same, there are plenty telltales in the text body, informations don't 'add up"....

So in a way, it may be no more effective for the profession as a whole to tell public at large "Beware, scammers about, be aware and check who you are dealing with, never pay in advance".
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:37
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
A company which doesn't want the risk of getting poor quality translation Oct 16, 2014

needn't do anything about these scammers. Just ignore them. That's all.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammers/impersonators: fighting back?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »