Adobe pop up comments - how can I inactivate them?
Thread poster: Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:26
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 4, 2023

Hi all,

I have a lot of proofreading and editing to do with pdfs (in Adobe Acrobat Pro), and what drives me nuts are those darn pop up comment windows! The comment section on the right side is open anyway, so why do these pop ups show every time I type something? The main issue with them is that it takes around 3 seconds before I can even click the "close" icon. so quite a good portion of text is always hidden behind those windows and I have to stop working for several seconds each
... See more
Hi all,

I have a lot of proofreading and editing to do with pdfs (in Adobe Acrobat Pro), and what drives me nuts are those darn pop up comment windows! The comment section on the right side is open anyway, so why do these pop ups show every time I type something? The main issue with them is that it takes around 3 seconds before I can even click the "close" icon. so quite a good portion of text is always hidden behind those windows and I have to stop working for several seconds each time I have a correction to make. I cannot find a way to deactivate them. Also, there are always two of them! Can anybody help, please? Thank you!
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Inez Feb 4, 2023

Try the following: in Acrobat, go to Edit - Preferences. In the left side menu choose Commenting and see what do you have in the section named 'Pop-up comments behavior'. Perhaps you would need to tick the "Hide comments pane when a PDF with comments is opened" option as well as un-tick the other two (in case they are ticked), or just try playing with these three option a bit to find out what will work in you case.

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
doesn't work Feb 4, 2023

Natalie wrote:

Try the following: in Acrobat, go to Edit - Preferences. In the left side menu choose Commenting and see what do you have in the section named 'Pop-up comments behavior'. Perhaps you would need to tick the "Hide comments pane when a PDF with comments is opened" option as well as un-tick the other two (in case they are ticked), or just try playing with these three option a bit to find out what will work in you case.

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for trying to help. "Hide comments ..." is ticked, the other two unticked, popups always there, no matter what. I have a book in pdf format to proofread and I could smash that whole thing at the wall! Also Adobe has such a long reaction time, I have to wait for each comment to show in the comment section (or in those bloody popups), and most of the time half it is missing because I started typing before Adobe was ready. I like Adobe, but this is nonsense.

[Edited at 2023-02-04 11:19 GMT]

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Edit PDF mode Feb 4, 2023

The behavior seems to occur if the comment pane is open. Acrobat will treat typed text as a comment or a reply to the selected comment. If you go into "Edit PDF" mode the behaviour ceases.

If you want to see the comments pane while editing, you can open a second window of the document.

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not sure if I understand Feb 4, 2023

Joakim Braun wrote:

The behavior seems to occur if the comment pane is open. Acrobat will treat typed text as a comment or a reply to the selected comment. If you go into "Edit PDF" mode the behaviour ceases.

If you want to see the comments pane while editing, you can open a second window of the document.

Hi Joakim,
am I able to comment in edit mode? The program also performs so incredibly slowly, I'm not sure if that is how it's meant to be. I think it has gotten worse lately, but as I don't do a lot of books lately, I didn't mind that much. I guess this job takes me a bout a fourth longer due to those issues. And it even worsened since I started this morning. Each and every step takes about 4 to 5 seconds now, and then again 4.5 seconds until I can proceed.

[Edited at 2023-02-04 17:18 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:26
English to Russian
Export/Import FDF Feb 4, 2023

The PDF format was designed specifically to prevent editing. Why do you edit it? Can't your client give you an editable file like docx?
Actually you can remove all the comments temporarily and then restore them once you are done with proofreading. To this effect click the ellipsis button in the upper right corner of the Comments pane and select 'Export all into a data file' (I don't know the exact wording because I have it in Russian). Save the *.fdf file somewhere on your hard drive, you
... See more
The PDF format was designed specifically to prevent editing. Why do you edit it? Can't your client give you an editable file like docx?
Actually you can remove all the comments temporarily and then restore them once you are done with proofreading. To this effect click the ellipsis button in the upper right corner of the Comments pane and select 'Export all into a data file' (I don't know the exact wording because I have it in Russian). Save the *.fdf file somewhere on your hard drive, you will need it later. Then click the first comment, press Delete and hold it until you remove all comments. Proceed with your work. At the very end of your work, click the ellipsis button again and select 'Import a data file'. This would restore all the comments.
Collapse

Philip Lees

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no editing - commenting Feb 4, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Actually you can remove all the comments temporarily and then restore them once you are done with proofreading. To this effect click the ellipsis button in the upper right corner of the Comments pane and select 'Export all into a data file' (I don't know the exact wording because I have it in Russian). Save the *.fdf file somewhere on your hard drive, you will need it later. Then click the first comment, press Delete and hold it until you remove all comments. Proceed with your work. At the very end of your work, click the ellipsis button again and select 'Import a data file'. This would restore all the comments.

I don't edit it, I put comments in there. This is a book manuscript for which the final correcting is always done in the proof (the finished layout). And why should I remove my own comments? and then restore it? Proofreading is done by adding comments! I'm sorry, but I guess we have some misunderstanding here.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:26
English to Russian
Be specific Feb 4, 2023

Inez Ulrich wrote:
And why should I remove my own comments?
Of course you shouldn't, but it wasn't mentioned in your original post. According to your post,the text hidden behind some windows was your problem. And you wanted to deactivate them.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Feb 4, 2023

Inez Ulrich wrote:

am I able to comment in edit mode?

Yes, you can add comments using the comment tool while in edit mode without showing the comment pane. The comments will be in popups, obviously, but editing the PDF is still much easier than when showing the comment pane.

The program also performs so incredibly slowly, (etc)

Adobe quality has been in a fast descent over the last few years.

I just opened a 900 page book (text only) in Acrobat and editing is instantaneous. But if you're working on a complicated document with hundreds of vector graphics and high-resolution pictures, it's going to be different and you'll need a very fast PC.

(tested with Acrobat Pro DC 2020.012 on MacOS 12.6, 2019 MacBook Pro)

[Edited at 2023-02-04 23:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe pop up comments - how can I inactivate them?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »