Alessandra Russo
Alessandra Russo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:09
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 2, 2009

Goodmorning,

More thank a week ago I received a .PXF file (27,000 words) to be proofread in Transit. I didn't have this software and I decided to use the free online version (i.e. Transit Satellite PE).
After a week or so a friend translator lent me his laptop with Transit NXT on it, saying that it would have been easier for me to work on the most recent version of the software, and he was right!
Now my problem is that the agency is looking for a .PXF file, while I can
... See more
Goodmorning,

More thank a week ago I received a .PXF file (27,000 words) to be proofread in Transit. I didn't have this software and I decided to use the free online version (i.e. Transit Satellite PE).
After a week or so a friend translator lent me his laptop with Transit NXT on it, saying that it would have been easier for me to work on the most recent version of the software, and he was right!
Now my problem is that the agency is looking for a .PXF file, while I can only produce a .PPF file.
It is my understanding that the extension .PXF pertains to Transit Satellite PE and Transit XV, while the .PPF extension is produced by Transit NXT for a packed project. Is that correct?

Is there a way I can transform the .PPF file into a .PXF? Apparently they are not able to open the project at all.
I also have access to Transit XV, in case it is necessary.

Thank you all so much for your help!

A.R.
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:09
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
err... a TXF Oct 2, 2009

Hello Alessandra,

I have Transit NXT & receive PXFs (generated in TXV) and deliver TXFs to my clients without any problem, as NXT can handle those packages as well.

Satellite delivers TXFs as well, not PXFs AFAIK.

Once you are done with translating / editing, simply pack the project & choose that format when asked to save your package.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-10-02 18:08 GMT]

Alessandra Russo
Alessandra Russo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:09
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TXF Oct 3, 2009

Dear Giuliana,

thank you for your reply.
I tried that too, but when packing a project only the .PPF format is available in the scroll down list. And unfortunately the "pack translation" icon is engraved. Or, if it is not engraved, it only allows me to save the translation in .tpf format.
I really don't know what to do. Thank you anyway, I'll keep trying.

Alessandra

[Edited at 2009-10-03 08:35 GMT]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 12:09
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
tweak solution Oct 3, 2009

All of these files are just renamed zip files. If you rename the extension to .zip, you should be able to get (=extract) exactly the files you need to send out (i.e., the language pair).

Not a very elegant solution, but if you are in a tough corner...

Antonin

Ana Kardum
Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:09
German to Croatian
+ ...
Try to switch to a different role... Oct 4, 2009

Dear Alessandra,

I had a similar problem recently. I guess you created your own project? Can you check what is your role in the application? It should be "Super User" because the role "Translator" (or another role) does not provide access to all the functions in Transit NXT. You should find it under Resources - Standard Roles - Super User in the left part of the application. Try to switch to that role or reopen the project in that role.

If you still have a problem, th
... See more
Dear Alessandra,

I had a similar problem recently. I guess you created your own project? Can you check what is your role in the application? It should be "Super User" because the role "Translator" (or another role) does not provide access to all the functions in Transit NXT. You should find it under Resources - Standard Roles - Super User in the left part of the application. Try to switch to that role or reopen the project in that role.

If you still have a problem, the best solution would be to contact their support (I hope your friend has paid for support). They are very helpful and will certainly have a solution to your problem.

See also this link:

http://www.star-group.net/ENU/transit-termstar-nxt-dl/transitnxt-termstarnxt-tec.html

for manuals.

Let us know if you managed to solve the problem.

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transforming a .PPF into a .PXF

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »