How interpreters at the UN get the message across when faced with a runaway speaker

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "How interpreters at the UN get the message across when faced with a runaway speaker".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Tailândia
Local time: 18:21
inglês para tailandês
+ ...
My doubt Sep 23, 2010

In many simultaneous interpretation venues, many interpreters standby to take charge in turn. I wonder why the UN cannot hire more interpreters to spare the job. I personally cannot interpret continuously for 1 hour and longer.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Kipale78
Kipale78
Itália
Local time: 13:21
inglês para italiano
+ ...
well Sep 23, 2010

the article says that Gheddafi insisted on using his own interpreter, not the UN service.

Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Austrália
Membro (2007)
inglês para vietnamita
+ ...
Maybe tell the politician to summarise their viewpoints Sep 26, 2010

These politicians are rich enough to pay for several interpreters. Rather work for Translators without Borders or Medecins sans frontieres than established dictators, even without pay.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How interpreters at the UN get the message across when faced with a runaway speaker

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »