Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:19
German to English
+ ...
To get ahead of it May 14

Becca Resnik wrote:

...especially from a PM with a degree in culture and translation studies...

Before anyone gets upset: Yes, I know. Yes, I agree.

Even as someone with a translation studies degree, I don't believe that having such a degree is a make-or-break qualification of a translator. I'm only saying that she has had exposure to the practice of translation and has studied translation theory, as opposed to some random person with an internet connection who knows nothing about the field and has never had to make real-world translation decisions.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
+1 May 14

Kay Denney wrote:
I have found, when trying to explain something to a client, that it helps if I concede one point.

Obviously I would never make a concession as such, as I have a reputation to protect, but I agree it’s sometimes a good idea to offer an alternative rather than double down on your original preference. Like when they say they don’t understand what you’ve written then there’s a genuine problem even if it’s perfectly good English. Unlike that sentence. Late. Mobile. Whatevs.

Becca Resnik
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:19
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
+2 May 15

Kay Denney wrote:

I have found, when trying to explain something to a client, that it helps if I concede one point.

I remember my colleague discussing a text about a glass chandelier hanging over a table laid with sparkling glass, silver, everything for a big party, and the translator had used the word ´immaculate´.

The client was very upset - in his world, only the Virgin Mary could be immaculate. My colleague did not quite agree, but would not give a discount. He ended up apologising and agreeing with the client that it could be changed to impressive, and everyone was more or less happy. (Except us - we liked ´immaculate´ in that context!)

As for the explanations of English words used in the source language, I usually leave them out, or occasionally insert some etymological curiosity if there is one - or go back to Latin if appropriate.

It is a far greater problem when there is some word-play in the source that is untranslatable and/or falls horribly flat when explained!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
English May 15

If the source text is not English, and it contains English words, I prefer to leave it untranslated. It tends to be some technical terminology which shouldn't be translated, or some internal terminology of the client.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Corrections made by whom? May 15

For starters, I won't make corrections which are not corrections, they can do it themselves.

I do receive 'corrected work', where so called proofreaders have 'raped' my translation. In such situations I will inform the client, and if he/she persists (this is our steady proofreader), it's up up to them. I did my professional duty, but don't come back to me when the end client is unsatisfied with the results.

I have heard that 'song' more than enough.

[Edited at 20
... See more
For starters, I won't make corrections which are not corrections, they can do it themselves.

I do receive 'corrected work', where so called proofreaders have 'raped' my translation. In such situations I will inform the client, and if he/she persists (this is our steady proofreader), it's up up to them. I did my professional duty, but don't come back to me when the end client is unsatisfied with the results.

I have heard that 'song' more than enough.

[Edited at 2024-05-15 18:17 GMT]
Collapse

Becca Resnik
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When a client wants 'corrections' that will make the translation bad

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »