Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:23
English to Dutch
+ ...
Visa incorrecta May 4, 2010

[quote]Giles Watson wrote:

According to the OED, "visa", the Latin feminine past participle of "videre", replaced the French participle "visé" fairly recently (the OED gives a 1904 example of "visé" from The Times).

[\quote]

Wot??
[gets out etymological dictionary]
You're right! 'Visum' was constructed AFTER 'visa', and is a misinterpretation by people who wrongly assumed 'visa' is a plural. I'll be darned...

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:23
Italian to English
Mobbing too May 4, 2010

Fiona Peterson wrote:

LoL Giovanni and Gianni!!!

Italians are always amazed when I tell them that "footing" (which they presume to mean "jogging") is not an English word...

Mobbing too, which apparently means sexual harassment in Italy.

And for Susanna, "suggestive" is another instance; it means spinto, indecente, (rather lake Giovanni and Gianni's shop signs)!

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Suggestive May 4, 2010

[quote]Russell Jones wrote:

Fiona Peterson wrote:

And for Susanna, "suggestive" is another instance; it means spinto, indecente, (rather lake Giovanni and Gianni's shop signs)!

Indecent? I thought they were just pointing out that, in the first photo, Italian is also used in New Zealand and, in the second, poor spelling.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
In Portuguese May 4, 2010

In Portuguese they have got around the visum/visa/visas controversy by using the word "visto" - although this can also mean an initialling of a document (dar visto) which could, in theory, be ambiguous or even controversial.

The plural forms "cherubim" and "seraphim" are used (with spelling and pronunciation adaptations) as singular in Portuguese: um querubim, dois querubins; um serafim, dois serafins. Interestingly, "querubim" starts with a "k" sound, not "tch" like in English. In
... See more
In Portuguese they have got around the visum/visa/visas controversy by using the word "visto" - although this can also mean an initialling of a document (dar visto) which could, in theory, be ambiguous or even controversial.

The plural forms "cherubim" and "seraphim" are used (with spelling and pronunciation adaptations) as singular in Portuguese: um querubim, dois querubins; um serafim, dois serafins. Interestingly, "querubim" starts with a "k" sound, not "tch" like in English. In contrast, the word "kibbutz" is used normally in Portuguese, without any change of spelling. The plural, TTBOMK, is invariable in Portuguese, so "Há vários kibbutz na cidade" (There are several kibbutzim in the city)

Regarding "hamburger", the reason they insert an extra U is to keep the same pronunciation, with a hard "g" sound.

And, any idea what an X-Burguer is?

It's a cheeseburger! The explanation is that the name of the letter X in Portuguese (sheess) sounds like "cheese". So, although "cheeseburguer" is also used (pronounced in the Brazilian way - /sheesboorger/ with "oo" as in "Google") you are quite likely to find X-Burguer (especially on signs of street vendors). We even have X-Egg (which is an X-Burguer plus an egg) and others up to the X-Tudo (cheeseburger with everything!)

[Edited at 2010-05-04 18:16 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Where's my hat of shame? May 4, 2010

Giles Watson wrote:

Don't worry, Jenny. It isn't.

According to the OED, "visa", the Latin feminine past participle of "videre", replaced the French participle "visé" fairly recently (the OED gives a 1904 example of "visé" from The Times).

Wow, I didn't know that, thanks for the enlightenment, Giles. That's the result of the overconfidence of someone without any formal training in or actual knowledge of Latin (me, obviously).

Now where's my hat of shame?

[Bearbeitet am 2010-05-04 18:17 GMT]

maria pelufo
maria pelufo  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
1 Biscotti with my expresso....(back to the panini!) May 24, 2010

David Wright wrote:

Of course it's "two paninis," and of course it's "the spaghetti is..." etc. The grocer is speaking ENGLISH, the language spoken in ENGLAND (and other places of minor interest)) and not ITALIAN, which is spoken in ITALY. Please remember this on your travels. Asking for things in ITALIAN in an ENGLISH grocer's shop is not likely to achieve the desired communicative objective, and will earn you - deservedly or not - a few choice epithets in very native-like ENGLISH.

[Edited at 2010-05-04 10:55 GMT]

I am absolutely willing to agree if we are talking about an English place, store, or Pub, or whatever. I am fine with that.

It drives me up the wall, however, when the described phenomenon occurs in a restaurant (or rather "Ristorante") called "Da Giuseppe" that is fully decorated with gondolas, and where they are probably going to charge you extra for the lovely Italian atmosphere. They paid a fortune for a decorator to create the genuine "Toscana" or "Venezian" atmosphere, and they could not spend a tiny bit on some terminology advice to have a correct menu?

If they want to be an Italian shop, you bet that I want single Panini to be called "Panino", and same for "Tramezzini", and with that I would have an espresso (macchiato?), please. Preferably with the correct spelling, and just *one* biscotto to go with it!

Otherwise I refuse to pay $6 for a Latte (that has an accent on the e!).

Maria

Krzysztof Łesyk
Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:23
Japanese to English
+ ...
Martini May 24, 2010

This whole discussion reminds me of an old joke about a linguist ordering a martinus in a bar.

"What?" Asks the waitress.
"A martinus please. Mar-ti-nus." Replies the linguist.
"Ooh, you mean martini, don't you?"
"Well all right, make it two then."

Lars Finsen
Lars Finsen
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Your footing... Jun 2, 2010

Fiona Peterson wrote:

LoL Giovanni and Gianni!!!

Italians are always amazed when I tell them that "footing" (which they presume to mean "jogging") is not an English word...

You've never lost it?

LEF

Lars Finsen
Lars Finsen
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Already Jun 2, 2010

Nesrin wrote:

Another one is "already", which is used by one and all regardless of whether or not they speak English. The problem is that in Arabic there is no word meaning exclusively "already", but there is a word (fe'lan or belfe'l) that means "really, actually, already". So people, having been told that "already" means "fe'lan" are constantly using it in the sense of "really".

Even natives seem to use it in a similar fashion sometimes, I think, in exclamations like "That's enough already!" or similar. Could you natives inform me if this is a new trend or something archaic popping up? I think I have heard it mostly in historic films.

LEF

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Other wrong plurals Jun 2, 2010

Lingua 5B wrote:
Panini may be plural, but an English brain must associate the -s with plural, for the most part.

... which is why we hear and see lots of misuse of words and un-words like
criterion, criteria, criterias; many people think there can be a criteria and therefore several of them are criterias;
similar for phenomenon and phenomena

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:23
English to Italian
Some more... Jun 2, 2010

Here's a few more common mistakes I've found since I moved here in the US:

Linguini and fetucini (written also: fettacini, fettucini) and salami (same form for 1 salami or 2 salami (sometime even "2 salamis")

Capicola (or cappacuolo) and prosciutini (when you order an Italian sub at Jersey Mike's) [ see it here: http://www.jerseymikes.com/menu.asp]

Bruschetta (
... See more
Here's a few more common mistakes I've found since I moved here in the US:

Linguini and fetucini (written also: fettacini, fettucini) and salami (same form for 1 salami or 2 salami (sometime even "2 salamis")

Capicola (or cappacuolo) and prosciutini (when you order an Italian sub at Jersey Mike's) [ see it here: http://www.jerseymikes.com/menu.asp]

Bruschetta (pronunced as "brushetta")

The Pizza brand "Freschetta" pronunced as "freshetta"

Zucchini used in the singular and plural form

Latté (sometimes I've seen this accented version too)

Expresso

Gnocchi (I've heard it pronunced as g-nocci)

Bocci (instead of bocce)

Pinot Grigio (where the "g" in "grigio" is pronunced like the French "je")

Parmegiano Regiano (where the "g" in Parmegiano (which should be Parmigiano) and in "Regiano" (which should be Reggiano) is pronunced like the above mentioned "g" in Grigio).

There's a spa where I live called "Bella Solé" (probably they put the accent on the final "e" otherwise people would have pronunced it "sol", like the underpart of a shoe)

Versace is commonly pronunced "VersaCCEE", and so the tenor Liberace (pronunced "LiberaCCEE")...

And now the best one: I was talking to an American friend about Silvester Stallone and what a lousy actor I think he is. I pronunced "Stallone" in the Italian way [ pron: Stah-llo-neh], because Stallone IS an Italian name (Stallone's grandpa was born in Apulia, Italy).
My friend corrected me saying "it's not Stall-ooo-neh, it's Stallon" [meaning that the final "e" was silent].
I retorted: "no my friend, Stallone is an Italian name, therefore you pronunce it like it should be. It's StallonE, period".

And Provolone cheese is pronunced like the Americanized "Stallone" [provolon]
Collapse

Linda Kelly
Linda Kelly  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It can work the other way too... Jun 2, 2010

The sports chain Foot Locker is pronounced Foot Looker in Spain. I told some Spanish friends that now they know the correct version they can impress their friends with their knowledge of English. They said they didn't want to look like idiots.

With regard to:

Even natives seem to use it in a similar fashion sometimes, I think, in exclamations like "That's enough already!" or similar. Could you natives inform me if this is a new trend or something archaic popping up? I t
... See more
The sports chain Foot Locker is pronounced Foot Looker in Spain. I told some Spanish friends that now they know the correct version they can impress their friends with their knowledge of English. They said they didn't want to look like idiots.

With regard to:

Even natives seem to use it in a similar fashion sometimes, I think, in exclamations like "That's enough already!" or similar. Could you natives inform me if this is a new trend or something archaic popping up? I think I have heard it mostly in historic films.

This is used in US English - I hear it in a lot of US TV shows and films, such as "Get out of the bathroom already!" I've never heard it used it in Britain, but then again I'm not exactly 'down with the kids'!

[Edited at 2010-06-02 18:51 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two paninis...............NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »