Thread poster: MayNal
MayNal
MayNal
Local time: 21:25
English to Czech
+ ...
Jan 7, 2004

Hi,

we need help from anyone who is familiar with Trados 6LSP or have met problems like the one described before:

Every time we try to analyze files Trados Workbench can't convert it into RTF and gives the following errors:

(352529264): Can't process RTF format
File skipped!

and

(-2147417851): RPC_E_SERVERFAULT (The server threw an exception.)
File skipped!

After that when we try open original files it
... See more
Hi,

we need help from anyone who is familiar with Trados 6LSP or have met problems like the one described before:

Every time we try to analyze files Trados Workbench can't convert it into RTF and gives the following errors:

File skipped!

and

File skipped!

After that when we try open original files it says they are locked for editing! I have never seen anything like this before!

PLEASE HELP! We are ready to pay for support.

We use Trados 6LSP.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jan 7, 2004

...to Trados Support.

File skipped!

Have you tried saving the file as RTF? Depending on the file size and embedded objects (such as graphics), the error may well be in Word (bear in mind that Trados uses its Word interface to save files as RTF when analysing or cleaning up).

File skipped!

Have a look at this article from the Trados Knowledge Base. Although the problem described there was resolved with a higher version of T5 (and therefore also in T6), the cause might be similar (and, in fact, related to the first problem described).

After that when we try open original files it says they are locked for editing!

...which would indicate a problem saving the .doc file as .rtf (as referred to above).

PLEASE HELP! We are ready to pay for support.

Have you contacted Trados Support?

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-01-07 14:04]

MayNal
MayNal
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
aha.... Jan 7, 2004

Hi,

Thank you!

Indeed, converting into RTF does help. But I have about 178 files to analyze and going through each of them and saving as RTF is not what we wanted to do:( But looks like we will have to as there is no choice.

The problem is that when I try to analyze a very simple file now (no graphics, etc.) it gives me the same error.

As for Trados support - there was a free Trados support a year ago. I checked their webside (I have to say
... See more
Hi,

Thank you!

Indeed, converting into RTF does help. But I have about 178 files to analyze and going through each of them and saving as RTF is not what we wanted to do:( But looks like we will have to as there is no choice.

The problem is that when I try to analyze a very simple file now (no graphics, etc.) it gives me the same error.

As for Trados support - there was a free Trados support a year ago. I checked their webside (I have to say we don't do it very often) and there are no Help or Support division. All what they say is "come and buy". Well, taking into consideration time I spend doing that (so I will pay twice - instead of doing my job I will deal with payment&deliver&terrible customer care) I would rather pay any independent consultant or a freelancer willing to help.
Collapse

MayNal
MayNal
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
article Jan 7, 2004

Thank you also for an article!

it says:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

This problem is not occuring with TRADOS 6.x (all versions)

Looks like Trados team is wrong as we do have this problem! Does anyone know how we can report it to them??? Have anyone met anything like this before with Trados 6?

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
So that's not the cause of the problem... Jan 7, 2004

Hi again,

That was not quite what I meant: the fact that you are able to (manually) save that file as RTF indicates that the problem must be somewhere else. Anyway, you would only need to do this on files where the batch process skips on an error (assuming this doesn't happen on all files...).

Is there anything else that is special about these files? Formatting, fonts, etc?

As for Trados support - there was a free Trados support a year ago. I checked their webside (I have to say we don't do it very often) and there are no Help or Support division. All what they say is "come and buy".

Er... I'd suggest to check again - click on "Education & Support"...

Well, taking into consideration time I spend doing that (so I will pay twice - instead of doing my job I will deal with payment&deliver&terrible customer care) I would rather pay any independent consultant or a freelancer willing to help.

I don't know through whom you bought your license - I'm very happy with their support (note that I have a support agreement). In fact, most errors I have encountered were caused by deficiencies in the document rather than Trados bugs.

Contact me through my profile if you need the e-mail address of Trados Stuttgart.

Best regards, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Look at their website... Jan 7, 2004

Does anyone know how we can report it to them???

It's right on their website, actually (Education and Support - Technical Support - Knowledge Base - Report a Problem).

HTH, Ralf

Gloria Walker (X)
Gloria Walker (X)
Local time: 16:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have a similar problem... can anyone help? Jul 9, 2004

I'm trying to align to word texts with Winalign. I get this message: "Can't process RTF format"
Is this because it's running in Demo mode?
Trados created the RTF format files of the two .doc files I want to align. However, when I select these RTF files to align the error message pops up.

Any idea to solve this?

Thanks!!

Gloria Walker

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try saving them as RTF Jul 9, 2004

Hi Gloria,
I'm trying to align to word texts with Winalign. I get this message: "Can't process RTF format"
Is this because it's running in Demo mode?

I don't think so.

Trados created the RTF format files of the two .doc files I want to align.

This is normal - although you can use .doc files, alignment is conducted using RTF.

However, when I select these RTF files to align the error message pops up.

If you select ".doc" file type, you will need to select the .doc files, not .rtf.

Try to save them as RTF before aligning; if necessary, take out graphics or other embedded objects (which aren't relevant for alignment anyway). If you get an error message when saving as RTF, you know the root of your problem.

HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6LSP - Can't process RTF format

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »