¿Dónde se ubica la base de datos terminológica? (Mod: Where is the Trados termbase?)
Thread poster: ivanchu
ivanchu
ivanchu
French to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 28, 2004

Hola,
Me acabo de bajar una demo de Trados 6.5.
No consigo localizar la ubicación de la base de datos terminológica. ¿Significa esto que debo procurarme mis propias bases de datos terminológicas para poder probar esta demo? ¿No viene ninguna con la demo?
Gracias por vuestra ayuda.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:39
English to German
+ ...
Move the thread...? Mar 28, 2004

Hi,
Although you can post in other languages than English, your chances of getting a response here are higher if you decide to re-post in English.

Alternatively, I can move your post to the Spanish forum - just let me know what you prefer.

Best regards, Ralf

ivanchu
ivanchu
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Location of the termbase Mar 29, 2004

Hi Ralf, thanks a lot for your reply, you might be right...

I just downloaded a demo version of Trados 6.5 (I'm new to Trados) but I have one problem. In "term recognition options", I can only choose Multiterm 5 (the tutorial says you can also choose Multiterm iX). Then, when I browse to find a termbase, I cant find any! (again, the tutorial is different from what I get).
Could anyone help me?

Thanks a lot for all.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Have you also installed MultiTerm iX? Mar 29, 2004

Hi again,
I just downloaded a demo version of Trados 6.5 (I'm new to Trados) but I have one problem. In "term recognition options", I can only choose Multiterm 5 (the tutorial says you can also choose Multiterm iX).

Which is correct - but only if you also installed MultiTerm iX (a.k.a. MultiTerm Workstation). Did you install MultiTerm 5.5?

Then, when I browse to find a termbase, I cant find any! (again, the tutorial is different from what I get).

Note that Trados does not sell termbases - you will need to create your own database. That said, there may be a sample database on TranslationZone.

HTH, Ralf

ivanchu
ivanchu
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Creating a termbase Mar 29, 2004

Thanks a lot Ralf!
So, I have to create my own termbases.
Any tip to start with?
Where can I found one?

Thanks again!

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 04:39
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Sunday School Apr 18, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Which is correct - but only if you also installed MultiTerm iX (a.k.a. MultiTerm Workstation). Did you install MultiTerm 5.5?
quote]
Note that Trados does not sell termbases - you will need to create your own database. That said, there may be a sample database on TranslationZone.

HTH, Ralf

Hi Ralf,
I had decided to dedicate this Sunday to learning all about Trados in order to evaluate whether spending 7-800 dollars would make the big difference.

So I've downloaded the TRADOS 6.5 demo version, went through the tutorials, and wanted to experiment further with a "hands-on" translation. I immediately ran into the same problem as ivanchu. Came running back to ProZ Forums (imagining I was not the first one to experience this), turned back to Translationzone to download Multiterm iX - only to find out that this download is enabled only when you have already spent your 800 bucks.

Am I correct in supposing there is no way of trying out TRADOS "for real" before registering (and paying)??

Furthermore, when having registered and paid, all the suggestions of terms I will get is what is eventually already in my own database, meaning I have already translated the terms myself earlier?

Thanks in advance for your reply. My buying TRADOS will depend on it!

Dinny

P.S. I would have liked to put the quotes in little small white boxes, but I'm not quite sure how to do this. I get only this white box in which to write my comments...

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A few answers Apr 18, 2004

Hi Dinny,
Am I correct in supposing there is no way of trying out TRADOS "for real" before registering (and paying)??

I'm not sure what you're referring to with "registering". You can try all the applications contained in the demo versions without activating term recognition (uncheck the term recognition option under Options). The reason why MTiX is not freely available is that, in contrast to the other applications, it is not license-protected. Still, you could contact your local Trados representative and ask them for a download code.

Furthermore, when having registered and paid, all the suggestions of terms I will get is what is eventually already in my own database, meaning I have already translated the terms myself earlier?

Yes in principle, but not necessarily so. You need to distinguish between the concepts of a sentence database storing sentences and phrases you have translated or aligned (this is called a Translation Memory) and a terminology database which contains term entries you may have created yourself, or where you have imported a glossary of terms.

Thanks in advance for your reply. My buying TRADOS will depend on it!

Fair enough - as I'm not a Trados representative, I'm happy to answer whichever way you decide...

P.S. I would have liked to put the quotes in little small white boxes, but I'm not quite sure how to do this. I get only this white box in which to write my comments...

Have a look at the forum commands - I think you did rather well...

Best regards, Ralf

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 04:39
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Thanks! Apr 18, 2004

Hi Ralf,
Thanks for taking your time! I'll get back to school now to continue my experiments...

Dinny

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

¿Dónde se ubica la base de datos terminológica? (Mod: Where is the Trados termbase?)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »