Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:29
German to English
+ ...
May 5, 2004

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if anyone has had a chance to try MultiTerm Extract. This function was included in the Multiterm iX CD shipped last winter, but it requires an additional license. I am curious if anyone has used this product and can report on experiences with it? The license is expensive ($995 according to Trados staff) and I am wondering if the function is meant for freelance work at all.

Thank you so much in advance

Dorothee

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Fusion Extract May 5, 2004

I don't know about Multi Term Extract but I have tried - and thoroughly loved - this function with Fusion. In fact, I'm very close to thinking that Fusion is worth its cost just with this function. I built dictionaries with it in no time. It is so intuitive that I didn't need any tutorial at any point. I didn't encounter any bugs with it.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2004-05-06 00:42]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 21:29
English to German
+ ...
I agree to 100% to this Jun 10, 2004

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

I don't know about Multi Term Extract but I have tried - and thoroughly loved - this function with Fusion. In fact, I'm very close to thinking that Fusion is worth its cost just with this function. I built dictionaries with it in no time. It is so intuitive that I didn't need any tutorial at any point. I didn't encounter any bugs with it.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2004-05-06 00:42]
Hi! Fusion indeed is a fascinating tool, I agree to 100% to this
brandis

optovision
optovision  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
MultiTerm Extract Aug 24, 2004

I bought MultiTerm Extract 2 months ago and am still tryingto get experience. I'm not a friend of reading lots of tutorials/instructions but Extract requires reading them. The building of dictionaries seems to be easy but didn't work all the time. You can extract bilingual texts etc., scan translation memories or translations. And I guess, I expected too much...

monitor
monitor  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
No you haven't !!! Aug 25, 2004

I used Term Extract 2 or 3 years ago and it just worked fine. However you have to read at least some reference material in order to get usable results.

IMHO another point to mention is the fact that is is basically terminology work you handle with such tools. So consider in the first place how many times you would come across that necessity.

Now time has past by and I have come across 'Fusion' like many others did. After buying this wonderful piece of a CAT-Tool I must
... See more
I used Term Extract 2 or 3 years ago and it just worked fine. However you have to read at least some reference material in order to get usable results.

IMHO another point to mention is the fact that is is basically terminology work you handle with such tools. So consider in the first place how many times you would come across that necessity.

Now time has past by and I have come across 'Fusion' like many others did. After buying this wonderful piece of a CAT-Tool I must honestly admit, that Fusion is
° much easier to handle
° performes very well
° generates results that are absolutely comparable with ExtraTerm
° and very important for most of us much cheaper than Trados ExtraTerm as it only costs a fraction of the mentioned 995 $.

So my conclusion is, that Trados should simply include that module in their basic package and make it as easily to use like Fusion's Extraction tool.

For those who have bought TermExtract I have to regret sadly that their is little added value with ExtraTerm. If you absolutely have to do this kind of work have a go with Fusion.

Regards
Marcel
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience with Multiterm iX Extract?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »