Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 02:42
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 14, 2004

I have about pairs of docs to align in WinAlign. The process itself is rather easy, and the matching sentences are very reliable, but the tags are not. I have many sentences where tags in the source and the target do not match. (the actual texts match, but not the tags)
Is there any smart and fast way of aligning tags? I am not really prepared to open every single segment and make the amendments there.

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:42
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Tag Editor maybe ?? Jun 14, 2004

Hello,
I am not sure if my idea helps, but cant you take the tags out, align the docs and then after the aligning use Tag Editor to translate the text with the tags? With the tags protected in Tag Editor?
Good luck,
Natália

Csaba Ban wrote:

I have about pairs of docs to align in WinAlign. The process itself is rather easy, and the matching sentences are very reliable, but the tags are not. I have many sentences where tags in the source and the target do not match. (the actual texts match, but not the tags)
Is there any smart and fast way of aligning tags? I am not really prepared to open every single segment and make the amendments there.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Align manually, if necessary Jun 14, 2004

Hi Csaba,
I must admit I never encountered that problem - if this affects automatic matching, you should still be able to align those segments manually (you'll just have to be a bit more careful when using the alignment).

Or did I misunderstand the problem?

Best regards, Ralf

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
some clarification Jun 14, 2004

I have about 20 pairs of files - the actual alignment process goes without any difficulty. As I wrote, text is virtually 100% matching, as do most of the inherent tags. There are quite a few tags, as the DTP software used is FrameMaker (lots of formatting tags and quite a few index entries).
My "problem" is that in some segments the tags in the source and the target do not match. Too many or too few, or reversed order, etc.
I know how to handle this manually, I just wondered if there
... See more
I have about 20 pairs of files - the actual alignment process goes without any difficulty. As I wrote, text is virtually 100% matching, as do most of the inherent tags. There are quite a few tags, as the DTP software used is FrameMaker (lots of formatting tags and quite a few index entries).
My "problem" is that in some segments the tags in the source and the target do not match. Too many or too few, or reversed order, etc.
I know how to handle this manually, I just wondered if there is an easy solution (a built-in function of Winalign or some other trick) to perform this task. For example, in Deja Vu there is a keyboard shortcut to align tags in the source and target segments - I thought there might be something similar here as well.
If no smart solution exist, I can still correct the tags manually, then run all files through TagEditor to see if all tags match.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:42
English to German
+ ...
I would align them in Déjà Vu Jun 14, 2004

..and export the memory to Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to align tags in WinAlign?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »