How do yo make TagEditor ignore notes in Power Point files?
Thread poster: Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 13, 2004

Hi everyone:

I have a Power Point file that I want to translate using TagEditor, but when I convert the .ppt file to .ttx for translation, all the speaker's notes are included for translation.

As the client doesn't want these notes translated, is there a way to have TE ignore them?

I really would appreciate the help.

Regards,

Ricardo

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
Non-translatable text Sep 14, 2004

I'm not speaking from personal experience, but since you have not received any answers yet, I will share my 'second-hand' knowledge.

From monitoring the Trados mailing lists, I know that you can mark certain text, such as footnotes, as non-translatable text by replacing the current paragraph style in the original text by the TW4WinExternal style. This style should be present in the Trados template (dot file).

I checked the Trados help file and found that there's anothe
... See more
I'm not speaking from personal experience, but since you have not received any answers yet, I will share my 'second-hand' knowledge.

From monitoring the Trados mailing lists, I know that you can mark certain text, such as footnotes, as non-translatable text by replacing the current paragraph style in the original text by the TW4WinExternal style. This style should be present in the Trados template (dot file).

I checked the Trados help file and found that there's another, faster, way to go about it, provided the footnotes have their own unique paragraph style. In Workbench, select Settings > Non Translatable Paragraphs... Use the button below the right list to open the document you want to translate and select the relevant paragraph style. Add this to the list of non-translatable paragraphs (list on the left).

HTH
Good luck!

Marianne
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 21:51
German to English
+ ...
non Translatable formats Sep 14, 2004

Hello,

the style formatting works only in Word.

I don't know any possibility to ignore text in TagEditor.

Maybe it will be possible to program a plugin for the TagEditor.
With kind regards

Hans

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Non-translatable paragraphs Sep 14, 2004

vixen wrote:
In Workbench, select Settings > Non Translatable Paragraphs...

I'm afraid this solution works only in MS Word.

I don't know what can be done in Powerpoint. I guess you will just have to skip the notes in TagEditor. As for wordcount, you could make a temporary copy of the document, delete the notes and analyse it.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
go two ways Sep 14, 2004

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

Hi everyone:

I have a Power Point file that I want to translate using TagEditor, but when I convert the .ppt file to .ttx for translation, all the speaker's notes are included for translation.

As the client doesn't want these notes translated, is there a way to have TE ignore them?

I really would appreciate the help.

Regards,

Ricardo
HI this can function. Extract the txt content using T-windows for .ppt and process the non-translatable text there. Simultaneously process .ppt in .ttx in order not to lose the format. Finally you may have to undergo some manual adjustment.
Regards
brandis

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found the solution! Sep 14, 2004

Hi all:
Thank you to all that contributed. I'm afraid none of those options are viable, as the client also wants the .ttx file (TagEditor). However, through another forum, I found a solution that works. I post it here in case the subject comes up again:

To do this, you will need to change settings in the file:
C:\Program FilesTRADOSxxxTTPowerPoint_1_0_0_0.xml,
where xxx corresponds to the name of the TRADOS software you are using (for me T65_LSP).
To be safe,
... See more
Hi all:
Thank you to all that contributed. I'm afraid none of those options are viable, as the client also wants the .ttx file (TagEditor). However, through another forum, I found a solution that works. I post it here in case the subject comes up again:

To do this, you will need to change settings in the file:
C:\Program FilesTRADOSxxxTTPowerPoint_1_0_0_0.xml,
where xxx corresponds to the name of the TRADOS software you are using (for me T65_LSP).
To be safe, make a copy of this file before changing it.

You will need to change the line:

to
NoNotes

If it works for you, it should mean that text on notes pages is not shown in the Tag Editor file after reparsing.

[Edited at 2004-09-14 13:44]

[Edited at 2004-09-14 13:45]

[Edited at 2004-09-14 13:45]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do yo make TagEditor ignore notes in Power Point files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »