Joaquim Siles-Borràs
Joaquim Siles-Borràs  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 21, 2004

Hi evereyone,
I am new to Trados. Just bought 6.5.5. So far so good (workbench, translating -only Word files so far-, Multi-term). Now, I have finished my translation and I´ve cleaned up, so I have to send the translation to my client. What do I send? Do I send the word document (e.g., IBM.doc) translated, or do I send the file created in the workbench (e.g., IBM.tmw)?.

Could anybody help with this? I know it´s straightforward, but not for me yet. Thank you very much in adva
... See more
Hi evereyone,
I am new to Trados. Just bought 6.5.5. So far so good (workbench, translating -only Word files so far-, Multi-term). Now, I have finished my translation and I´ve cleaned up, so I have to send the translation to my client. What do I send? Do I send the word document (e.g., IBM.doc) translated, or do I send the file created in the workbench (e.g., IBM.tmw)?.

Could anybody help with this? I know it´s straightforward, but not for me yet. Thank you very much in advance....and sorry for asking such silly questions on a Sunday.

Regards
Joaquim
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
It's your TM Nov 21, 2004

Never send a TM or an uncleaned text unless expressly asked to.

Regards,
Gerard

Joaquim Siles-Borràs
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.doc or .tmw? Nov 21, 2004

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Never send a TM or an uncleaned text unless expressly asked to.

Regards,
Gerard

Hi Gerard,
Thanks very much for your answer. Following the title of your reply, I understand that I should send the file (only an example) IBM.tmw.

But then in the main body you say that I should never send a TM or uncleaned text? Does it mean then that I should send my IBM.doc after it has been cleaned? I have tried this (as a test) and the receiver gets a word.doc translated in the target language. Is this what I should do? If not, could you or anyone else specify the steps that I should follow?

Thanks again. I am stuck with this and I am expecting a project to arrive tomorrow, so...

Regards to all
Joaquim

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What was agreed with your customer? Nov 21, 2004

Hi Joaquim,
Did you agree anything with your customer? If nothing special was agreed, I would only deliver the cleaned Word file.

Alternatively, you could deliver an uncleaned file (for example, the Word file containing source and target segments), which your customer can use to updated his TM.

If you deliver a TM, you need to be extra careful, as your TM might also contain units which are not related to the job at hand. Therefore, if you're asked to deliver a TM
... See more
Hi Joaquim,
Did you agree anything with your customer? If nothing special was agreed, I would only deliver the cleaned Word file.

Alternatively, you could deliver an uncleaned file (for example, the Word file containing source and target segments), which your customer can use to updated his TM.

If you deliver a TM, you need to be extra careful, as your TM might also contain units which are not related to the job at hand. Therefore, if you're asked to deliver a TM export, you should create a new (empty) TM and run a cleanup of the file(s) concerned, with the Update TM setting enabled.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
There are two possibilities Nov 21, 2004

There are clients (e.g. translation agencies) who want to receive an uncleaned Word document or a translation memory (TMW for Trados) so they can update their own databases.

Clients who just ask you to translate a document and do not talk about translation memories expect a cleaned document only. E.g. they send you a Word document with an English text, you return the translated text in Spanish.

Regards,
Gerard

Joaquim Siles-Borràs
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Gerad and Ralf Nov 21, 2004

Thnaks Gerard and Ralf. You have both been very helpful with your responses. Much appreciated. Have both a nice wkend, or what is left of it!
Quim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending Trados files or Word files?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »