New to Trados 6.5 - cannot find termbase
Thread poster: fuchsia
fuchsia
fuchsia
Local time: 14:48
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 25, 2005

I am new to Trados. I just installed Trados 6.5 Freelance and MultiTerm 2003 and I did the tutotials. But I could not create a new termbase.

I created a new (empty) TM file under File/New with EN/CH as my language pair. Under Options/Term Recognition Options, I selected MultiTErm iX, but all I saw was the Local Sample that came with Trados and its 4 language (EN, FR, GE, SP). I did not see my TM file and my target language. The dongle was attached and Term Recognition was on.... See more
I am new to Trados. I just installed Trados 6.5 Freelance and MultiTerm 2003 and I did the tutotials. But I could not create a new termbase.

I created a new (empty) TM file under File/New with EN/CH as my language pair. Under Options/Term Recognition Options, I selected MultiTErm iX, but all I saw was the Local Sample that came with Trados and its 4 language (EN, FR, GE, SP). I did not see my TM file and my target language. The dongle was attached and Term Recognition was on.

What did I miss? Any advice on the correct procedure will be greatly appreciated.

Terri

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-25 21:58]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:48
English to German
+ ...
TM vs. termbase Feb 25, 2005

Hi Terri,
I've moved the topic to Trados Support.

I created a new (empty) TM file under File/New with EN/CH as my language pair. Under Options/Term Recognition Options, I selected MultiTErm iX, but all I saw was the Local Sample that came with Trados and its 4 language (EN, FR, GE, SP).

You need to distinguish a translation memory (which contains segments - terms, phrases or similar units) from a termbase (which contains terminology).

To use a termbase in Workbench, you need to create one in MultiTerm.

HTH, Ralf

fuchsia
fuchsia
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another question Feb 26, 2005

Hi Ralf,

Thanks so much for your reply. I just created a new termbase.

I just opened the TM file and the new termbase and tried to do a translation. But when there is a 100% match, nothing showed in the space on the right side and the description down below said "(-2147417851):(-2147417851):(null)". Obviously, the term was not created. What went wrong???

I am pretty good with computers. But I downloaded the Manual which is 300+ pages long and I got now
... See more
Hi Ralf,

Thanks so much for your reply. I just created a new termbase.

I just opened the TM file and the new termbase and tried to do a translation. But when there is a 100% match, nothing showed in the space on the right side and the description down below said "(-2147417851):(-2147417851):(null)". Obviously, the term was not created. What went wrong???

I am pretty good with computers. But I downloaded the Manual which is 300+ pages long and I got nowhere. Is there a training tape or online course for Trados?

Thanks again for your help.

Terri
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:48
English to German
+ ...
Any terms inside the termbase? Feb 26, 2005

Hi again,
I just created a new termbase.

Did you also enter a few terms, or is that still empty?

I just opened the TM file and the new termbase and tried to do a translation. But when there is a 100% match, nothing showed in the space on the right side

A 100% match means that Workbench found a segment in the TM; this does not necessarily mean that matching terminology was also found (although with a large termbase, that would often be the case).

and the description down below said "(-2147417851):(-2147417851):(null)". Obviously, the term was not created.

Regarding the error message: did you register the software (Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 - Register Trados 6.5)?

I guess you still have a problem distinguishing the two applications - the translation process in Workbench does not create terminology. There are several ways to build a termbase:

- Enter terms in MTiX.
- Enter terms in Word, using the MT taskbar.
- Import existing glossaries, using MT Convert.

I am pretty good with computers. But I downloaded the Manual which is 300+ pages long and I got nowhere. Is there a training tape or online course for Trados?

Start with the interactive tutorials; these should have been installed with T6.5, and can be found in the Programs tree (if not, you can download them from TranslationZone). The Trados File Formats Reference Guide (included under Documentation is also a good point to start, as it outlines the workflows for each file format.

HTH, Ralf

fuchsia
fuchsia
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Feb 26, 2005

Hi Ralf,

Many thanks for your reply.

I spent some time reading the posts on this board last night and I found Life Jensen's Quickstart Guide so I was able to test it successfully. I agree with Life completely - why can't Trados do a Guide like this? The tutotials and manuals say nothing about how to start my first TM. It is obvious that many people have problem starting out with Trados.

I still have many questions and I will follow your directions to stu
... See more
Hi Ralf,

Many thanks for your reply.

I spent some time reading the posts on this board last night and I found Life Jensen's Quickstart Guide so I was able to test it successfully. I agree with Life completely - why can't Trados do a Guide like this? The tutotials and manuals say nothing about how to start my first TM. It is obvious that many people have problem starting out with Trados.

I still have many questions and I will follow your directions to study the reference guides to try to figure them out.

Thanks again for your help.

Terri
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to Trados 6.5 - cannot find termbase

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »