VMware Fusion Tech Preview Brings Windows 11 to Apple Silicon Macs
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Jul 30, 2022

VMware this week announced that its latest VMware Fusion update brings Windows 11 support to both Intel and Apple silicon Macs. Available as a free tech preview, the 2H22 version of Fusion will finally allow Apple silicon Mac users to download and use Windows on their machines through virtualization... See more
VMware this week announced that its latest VMware Fusion update brings Windows 11 support to both Intel and Apple silicon Macs. Available as a free tech preview, the 2H22 version of Fusion will finally allow Apple silicon Mac users to download and use Windows on their machines through virtualization.

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2022/07/just-released-vmware-fusion-22h2-tech-preview.html
Collapse

Muhammad Nejati
Muhammad Nejati
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
So helpful Jul 31, 2022

Hello, this provides terrific state-of-the-art options for translators. I wonder if we could find the same helpful options for other OS like Android and McIntosh.

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:45
Italian to Russian
+ ...
comment about Mac Jul 31, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote: ... support to both Intel and Apple silicon Macs ...

wow! so if one owes a specific model (say, Intel-based), it may happen that the updates for M1 models will be invalid for Intel?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
What do you mean? Aug 1, 2022

Gennady Lapardin wrote:

wow! so if one owes a specific model (say, Intel-based), it may happen that the updates for M1 models will be invalid for Intel?

Hello Gennady,

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean. Can you please elaborate?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Hans

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:45
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Good news ... Aug 1, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

VMware this week announced that its latest VMware Fusion update brings Windows 11 support to both Intel and Apple silicon Macs. Available as a free tech preview, the 2H22 version of Fusion will finally allow Apple silicon Mac users to download and use Windows on their machines through virtualization.

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2022/07/just-released-vmware-fusion-22h2-tech-preview.html

Thanks Hans.
Do you know if it is possible to convert Parallels 17 for Mac VMs to VMWare Fusion VMs securely?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
I did so ... Aug 1, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Do you know if it is possible to convert Parallels 17 for Mac VMs to VMWare Fusion VMs securely?

I did so with a previous version (when I made the transition to Fusion), so I guess this it will be possible with Parallels 17 too.

However ... note that some (if not most) CAT tools will regard the converted VM as a new PC, so that you'll have to activate the licenses again.

I just converted Windows 10 from Fusion to Parallels 17 this morning. To my surprise, Transit NXT accepted this, but all other CAT tools lost their activation.

Since it was just an experiment, the lost activations didn't bother me.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:45
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Aug 1, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

I did so with a previous version (when I made the transition to Fusion), so I guess this it will be possible with Parallels 17 too.

However ... note that some (if not most) CAT tools will regard the converted VM as a new PC, so that you'll have to activate the licenses again.

I just converted Windows 10 from Fusion to Parallels 17 this morning. To my surprise, Transit NXT accepted this, but all other CAT tools lost their activation.

Since it was just an experiment, the lost activations didn't bother me.

I will give it a try on an external SSD.
Oh, and as we're at it ... are there real advantages of Fusion over Parallels that make it worth to switch?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Free for personal use Aug 1, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Oh, and as we're at it ... are there real advantages of Fusion over Parallels that make it worth to switch?

It's free for personal use. Less spamming from the company. Not every year a new version. It's a matter of taste, I guess.

Gennady Lapardin
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
support to both Intel and Apple silicon Macs Aug 2, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Gennady Lapardin wrote:

Hello Gennady,

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean. Can you please elaborate?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Hans

I wonder if M1 and Intel-based models will always get the same (compatible) updates, or the updates for different models can differ, in the future.
Likewise, macOS BigSur and later are not good for earlier Mac machines.

Best,

[Edited at 2022-08-02 13:35 GMT]

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:45
English to Spanish
Intel Mac does not get all updates Aug 2, 2022

Gennady Lapardin wrote:
I wonder if M1 and Intel-based models will always get the same (compatible) updates, or the updates for different models can differ, in the future.

Apple has already indicated that Intel Macs will not get the same updates as M1 or M2 Macs.

The new macOS Ventura has features for M1 and M2 Macs that will not be available for Intel Macs.

Gennady Lapardin
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
thanks for valuable clarification Aug 3, 2022

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Gennady Lapardin wrote:

Apple has already indicated that Intel Macs will not get the same updates as M1 or M2 Macs.

The new macOS Ventura has features for M1 and M2 Macs that will not be available for Intel Macs.

Thank you, Rodolfo

so, VMware sooner or later will drop out from one of the trends (Intel or Apple Silicon) too.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Abandoning perfectly good hardware Aug 3, 2022

Gennady Lapardin wrote:

Likewise, macOS BigSur and later are not good for earlier Mac machines.

My iMac is from late 2014. It is a shame that Apple won't allow me to upgrade to a newer version of macOS!

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 07.27.02

On the other hand: the system works perfectly and I don't need the new features (of Monterey, Ventura).

The crazy thing is, that every few days I get a notification that I should upgrade to Monterey.

Shame on Apple!

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:45
English to Spanish
Abandoning old hardware Aug 3, 2022

Gennady Lapardin wrote:
so, VMware sooner or later will drop out from one of the trends (Intel or Apple Silicon) too.

Developers will stop supporting software for Intel Macs when Apple stops releasing new operating systems for those Macs. This may happen in two to three years from now.

Old hardware may still be in working condition, but that does not mean it can support the demands of new software. Intel chips were abandoned because they are much slower than the new Apple chips. Old Intel chips can't run new software.

You may be happy with your old Mac that still works, but if you can't upgrade to the latest OS, you can't get all security updates. Staying with an old operating system is a risk.

Gennady Lapardin

Gennady Lapardin
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
too volatile environment for radical updates Aug 4, 2022

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
Staying with an old operating system is a risk.

+ as oldman Marx was used to say 'zuschüssige Mehrwert', namely, additional recent sanctions contest.
For instance, Microsoft is planning to blackout known country from all of MS systems, updates, etc.
On the other hand, the last 20 years show that what is good for [known country], is good for other countries (maybe France, Burma, etc.) and we can come across the situation that "VMware Fusion Tech Preview Brings Nothing to Nowhere'. Still, I am optimistic. Deliver us from any unattainable/irreparable update.

[Edited at 2022-08-04 10:31 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VMware Fusion Tech Preview Brings Windows 11 to Apple Silicon Macs

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »