Thread poster: Peter Sass
Peter Sass
Peter Sass
Germany
Local time: 10:56
English to German
+ ...
Oct 5, 2010

I am asked by an agency to create a glossary/term list of domain-specific terms as part of a proofreading job. Am I right that this must be considered a separate job and how (and what) would you charge for it - per entry, per word or per hour?

Miranda Drew
Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
by hour Oct 5, 2010

The times I've done this in the past, I've charged by hour, because some terms you can fill in really quickly, and some take a lot of research and checking, so I think by hour is the best.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
As you go Oct 5, 2010

Peter Sass (M.A.) wrote:
I am asked by an agency to create a glossary/term list of domain-specific terms as part of a proofreading job. Am I right that this must be considered a separate job and how (and what) would you charge for it - per entry, per word or per hour?

Well, if all you need to do is make a list of certain source language words and their corresponding target language words, then I think you should be able to do it at the same time although it is always wise to charge extra for any extra service.

I have a little script for that, by the way:
http://leuce.com/tempfile/omtautoit/addterm_flatnote.zip

Abdurrahman Asal
Abdurrahman Asal  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 11:56
English to Arabic
+ ...
Affirmative! Oct 5, 2010

Peter Sass (M.A.) wrote:

It's business Peter. A fellow translator once told me that he has to pay if he wants to get an instructive feedback about his work from translation agencies. So, I think that nothing should be for free.

[Edited at 2010-10-05 15:22 GMT]

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:56
Swedish to English
+ ...
Separate job best declined Oct 5, 2010

Creating a glossary is a job for a terminologist, not a translator. Done properly, it requires very much more research and thought. In my view, the glossary should be prepared by the customer, not the translator, or at least as a joint enterprise.

Having been burned once or twice after agreeing to this sort of work, I now turn it down. If you do decide to go ahead, I would suggest 10 words/phrases an hour.

One terminology job I did accept was to prepare appropriate te
... See more
Creating a glossary is a job for a terminologist, not a translator. Done properly, it requires very much more research and thought. In my view, the glossary should be prepared by the customer, not the translator, or at least as a joint enterprise.

Having been burned once or twice after agreeing to this sort of work, I now turn it down. If you do decide to go ahead, I would suggest 10 words/phrases an hour.

One terminology job I did accept was to prepare appropriate terminology for some large technical user guides for a German company. I accepted because I managed to persuade them to pay for a trip from London to their headquarters in Munich plus 3 days consultancy, during which we prepared a comprehensive glossary. An example -- their guides were full of the German word "Achtung", a simple enough word which means "watch out" or "Attention". An English guide might have "Caution" or "Note" or "N.B." or "Tip" or simply "!".

We spent 10 minutes discussing this before agreeing on "Note". Much better to agree this in advance rather than at the end of the project. That discussion also illustrates why such glossary work is so time-consuming, and why I suggested 10 per hour.

That trip saved me a lot of time, so I gave them a lower rate for translation. They got more consistent terminology for much the same price. I got a 6-day trip to Munich, 3 days at their expense, 3 days sightseeing at mine.
Collapse

Peter Sass
Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot..! Oct 5, 2010

..for all your advice - and a VERY special thanks to Samuel for sharing this great tool for glossary creation!

As it turns out, the agency was mistaken here and had simply copypasted instructions by the end client, so the glossary creation was not actually considered a part of the proofreading job.

Happy translating to all of you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for glossary creation as part of proofreading job

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »